• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any ideas for my lighting please

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi my mvb still creates a temperature of 40C but the bulb sits outside the tank in a dome fitting and has digital thermometers in the viv

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could you recommend a uvb bulb as opposed to my mvb

Could you recommend a uvb bulb as opposed to my mvb
You dont need another UVB bulb the T 5 is good - the MVB is good for heat as long as its a bright white bulb - if its off colored like yellowish or off white you dont want it --- bright white -- Arcadia bulbs are expensive -- this is what I use in my 4x2x2 tanks - https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...MIu_vmwL6d8wIVeHxvBB3T-QD2EAQYCyABEgJjXPD_BwE

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes sorry meant uva sorry. Eco Terra seem cheap at £11.20 here my mvb costs £45
Yes I know they the Arcadia are expensive here in the states too but I have been using the Exo Terra since I have had the dragons which has been years -- I have tried different bulbs and I keep going back to the Exo Terra since they seem to work the best for me - you can try a incandescent house hold bulb that will work too but it must be a solid bulb no coil or LED --- people use those as well but like I said its trial and error -- check amazon see if you can find something there

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi I have a T5 uvb but it spans the full length of the viv. I believe this should not be the case. Is it possible to cover part of the tube so it gives an area without uvb in the viv and if that is ok any suggestions on how to cover up part if it. Many thanks
Hi Reno.....
Do you have the Reptisun 10.0 T5? It should be 10.0 NOT 5.0 and the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. if you have the 5.0 it emits little to No uvb. All Uvbs need rpeacing every 6 mnths and the beardie needs a Hideway to get away from the Uvb. If the beardie was adopted and you are not sure of the prior Uvb status that its ok but order a smaller lenght and wait for it to arrive. Dont cover part of it, you may cause a fire or who knows. Here are pics to help you out.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes I know they the Arcadia are expensive here in the states too but I have been using the Exo Terra since I have had the dragons which has been years -- I have tried different bulbs and I keep going back to the Exo Terra since they seem to work the best for me - you can try a incandescent house hold bulb that will work too but it must be a solid bulb no coil or LED --- people use those as well but like I said its trial and error -- check amazon see if you can find something there
Buy e zoomed CLEAR bulb for Heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for UVb please make sure the UVb is a 10.0 because the 5.0 emits little to No UVb and always replace the UVB every 6Mnths. Also make sure u have a hideaway for the Beardie and they love hammocks I place mone behind the bashing spot with a soft cloth on top Amd a fleece blanket underneath so it’s a bed and hideaway. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 hours in the summer. Never use log Hy s at night during bedtime; they like dark Amd quiet.

Attachments

• A106CBD9-6CD4-48D5-ABDD-9A3C644E1059.jpeg
    A106CBD9-6CD4-48D5-ABDD-9A3C644E1059.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 51386326-4D3D-416D-A4F4-73ECDE9D3728.jpeg
    51386326-4D3D-416D-A4F4-73ECDE9D3728.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 78BDCDC3-6588-45DB-A89C-9AE7C5B40094.jpeg
    78BDCDC3-6588-45DB-A89C-9AE7C5B40094.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 1

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Buy e zoomed CLEAR bulb for Heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for UVb please make sure the UVb is a 10.0 because the 5.0 emits little to No UVb and always replace the UVB every 6Mnths. Also make sure u have a hideaway for the Beardie and they love hammocks I place mone behind the bashing spot with a soft cloth on top Amd a fleece blanket underneath so it’s a bed and hideaway. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 hours in the summer. Never use log Hy s at night during bedtime; they like dark Amd quiet.
Hi it is a 12% desert T5 which spans about 75% of his viv now with hiding spots and his heat is from a 100w MVB uva uvb d3 bulb at present. It is a baby Rankin. I will post a pic of its viv

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
MVB are fine, the reason people say not to use them is the uvb is in the very narrow spot with the heat but you also have a t5. Double check the distance of the mvb to the dragon's back. They may have a minimum distance for safety reasons. Like arcadia states no closer than 12 " from the bulb.

You can google safe distance and your mvb maker, sunglow or megaray.

This is where you put in your pet and they show the light and distance.

lg5-full-sun-baskers.png

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
MVB are fine, the reason people say not to use them is the uvb is in the very narrow spot with the heat but you also have a t5. Double check the distance of the mvb to the dragon's back. They may have a minimum distance for safety reasons. Like arcadia states no closer than 12 " from the bulb.

You can google safe distance and your mvb maker, sunglow or megaray.

This is where you put in your pet and they show the light and distance.

View attachment 29933
Thanks I rrechecked and the distance from bulb to his back on his basking area is 14 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your MVB is going to be good for heat more so than the UVB so your Arcadia is going to be the better UVB --- is the UVB in a fixture w/ a reflector? I cant tell --- you want that UVB directly over him approx 12-15 inches

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your MVB is going to be good for heat more so than the UVB so your Arcadia is going to be the better UVB --- is the UVB in a fixture w/ a reflector? I cant tell --- you want that UVB directly over him approx 12-15 inches
The mvb is directly above his basking shelf and the UVB is in a fitting with a reflector running down the Center of the viv approximately 13 inches above him