• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any ideas for my lighting please

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I have a T5 uvb but it spans the full length of the viv. I believe this should not be the case. Is it possible to cover part of the tube so it gives an area without uvb in the viv and if that is ok any suggestions on how to cover up part if it. Many thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I have a T5 uvb but it spans the full length of the viv. I believe this should not be the case. Is it possible to cover part of the tube so it gives an area without uvb in the viv and if that is ok any suggestions on how to cover up part if it. Many thanks
What kind of screen is on your tank? If its a fine mesh type its going to need to be UNOBSTRUCTED - I dont usually recommend same length fixtures because dragons will want to get out of those rays so w/ it being the same as the tank its hard to do but it is possible - if you have a wide hole type screen you can use like a towel to set the fixture on it so the light is being blocked - 1/2 of the fixture - your basking decor piece needs to be directly under the UVB 12-15 inches --- or since its the same length of the tank you can unobstruct 1/2 of the UVB as well - the fine screen is going to block 30% of the rays and the open part will give him the full rays he needs just make sure your basking decor is under the open part - post a pic of the tank please and his lighting

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes I have something similar to that. Not a homedepot but same type of store

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I have something similar to that. Not a homedepot but same type of store
Ok so you can cut a piece of cardboard 1/2 the length of the fixture and place it over the light bulb and that should block out the light- wrap the Velcro stuff strap around the cardboard and see if that does it - those bulbs do not get that hot so it should be ok - try that and see how that does

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so you can cut a piece of cardboard 1/2 the length of the fixture and place it over the light bulb and that should block out the light- wrap the Velcro stuff strap around the cardboard and see if that does it - those bulbs do not get that hot so it should be ok - try that and see how that does
Brilliant thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brilliant thanks
Let me know what hes doing? Has he been hiding from the UVB? They will do that if they are not able to regulate how much they want and you do not want him doing that-

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
No he’s not hiding at all. He likes to climb up as high as he can at the moment, which does have me a little concerned as he is getting very close to his heat lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No he’s not hiding at all. He likes to climb up as high as he can at the moment, which does have me a little concerned as he is getting very close to his heat lamp
What are the basking temps and how are you getting them? For him to be climbing up to get close to it like that something is off--- you dont want him any closer than 6 inches to the lamp

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has an Arcadia 80w deep heat projector. Digital temp readings are 38C at basking height and 36C at ground level, but he is climbing higher than his basking area where the temperature is 42C

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has an Arcadia 80w deep heat projector. Digital temp readings are 38C at basking height and 36C at ground level, but he is climbing higher than his basking area where the temperature is 42C
How old is the dragon? The projector does it emit any bright white lighting? It may have good temps but if its not producing the bright white which is giving off UVA its not a good basking bulb -- he needs UVA which is what a bright white bulb will do -- the projector would be good for nite time use when your temps are falling below 65 F at night- you dont want temps above 75F at night --

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
The deep heat projector gives off no light at all it gives of IR A and IR B. There is no lights on at all at night. The deep heat was recommended by arcadia. The dragon is about 8 weeks old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The deep heat projector gives off no light at all it gives of IR A and IR B. There is no lights on at all at night. The deep heat was recommended by arcadia. The dragon is about 8 weeks old
Please get a bright white basking bulb -- your dragon needs the UVA that a bright white bulb gives off - people have tried to use CHE which is similar to the heat projector and they do not work the dragons ended up dying - this is what a experienced person that I often consult for advice said

Not for basking on its own because they don’t give off visible light. They can be used along with a visible light bulb for basking heat though. They are excellent heat emitters and a great replacement for a che. The megaray version is also very good.

This could be a reason why hes trying to get so close to the projector he needs UVA of which a bright white bulb will furnish

Reno

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks I thought Arcadia were talking rubbish as they told me to swap out my d3 murcury vapour in favour of the deep heat

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks I thought Arcadia were talking rubbish as they told me to swap out my d3 murcury vapour in favour of the deep heat
Please get a bright white basking bulb and keep your projector for winter- :) watch his behavior

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will wait for deep heat to cool down and put my d3 back in
Is that bright white? What is the wattage of the bulb and your talking a mercury vapor bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s a 100w uva uvb d3
And do you have it inside the tank? Make sure you get a basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer- 105-110 F- your long tube fixture is going to give the uvb he needs- most times a mvb will not give adequate uvb but w/ him having the long tube fixture will make up for that-