• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month old bearded dragon seems impacted

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@lemonlay please tell me what strip your using brand and bulb look on the bulb it will tell you brand and is it a T 5 or T 8? Can you please start your own thread so we can keep posters separate

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t believe the crickets are bigger than the space between his eyes. He’s been eating the same size for awhile and never had a problem. His light is six inches from his basking spot. Do you have any suggestions on how I can increase the temp a little. I will purchase the prune thermometer.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don’t believe the crickets are bigger than the space between his eyes. He’s been eating the same size for awhile and never had a problem. His light is six inches from his basking spot. Do you have any suggestions on how I can increase the temp a little. I will purchase the prune thermometer.
Get the digital probe thermometer before you do anything w/ temps- you want an actual basking temp- take the probe thermometer put it where he sits for basking 10 minutes then get the temp-- then decide to either raise decor piece no closer than 6 inches you don't want to burn him or get a higher wattage but you MUST have the probe thermometer- make sure the UVB is unobstructed no screen -- change that bulb out in 6 months I recommend a month prior to - if your feeding correct size insects what are you using for substrate? No sand please- once you get your temps and UVB etc corrected keep feeding the pumpkin he should go

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get the digital probe thermometer before you do anything w/ temps- you want an actual basking temp- take the probe thermometer put it where he sits for basking 10 minutes then get the temp-- then decide to either raise decor piece no closer than 6 inches you don't want to burn him or get a higher wattage but you MUST have the probe thermometer- make sure the UVB is unobstructed no screen -- change that bulb out in 6 months I recommend a month prior to - if your feeding correct size insects what are you using for substrate? No sand please- once you get your temps and UVB etc corrected keep feeding the pumpkin he should go
I try with the pumpkin but he doesn’t like it. He refuses it. Carpet substrate. The light housing that came with terrarium are large. They do sit in top of the cage that is screened.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I try with the pumpkin but he doesn’t like it. He refuses it. Carpet substrate. The light housing that came with terrarium are large. They do sit in top of the cage that is screened.
The UVB is not strong enough to go thru the screen please unobstruct it by removing the screen or get a stand from PetSmart to hang over the tank or get a zoo med -- sunblaster or Arcadia fixture 24" w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb--- these UVB's are better anyway - I am not a fan of COILS-- he's having digestion issues your 4 month old should be pooping everyday and if it's not the insects being too big and no impaction from the substrate I am gonna say it's the temps and uvb - get some unsweetened applesauce mix w/ a little water and feed him that

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He pooped
Make sure your uvb is correctly placed- the strips have certain distances and placement - basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- if you need help w/ the UVB please ask this is crucial to the overall health and behavior--

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is not strong enough to go thru the screen please unobstruct it by removing the screen or get a stand from PetSmart to hang over the tank or get a zoo med -- sunblaster or Arcadia fixture 24" w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb--- these UVB's are better anyway - I am not a fan of COILS-- he's having digestion issues your 4 month old should be pooping everyday and if it's not the insects being too big and no impaction from the substrate I am gonna say it's the temps and uvb - get some unsweetened applesauce mix w/ a little water and feed him that
Thank you for the info. I’m going to make the changes and see how it goes.

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got the probe thermometer and it reads 99 in basking area. I took him to the vet. They did not ask about temps. They gave him a bath. He didn’t use the bathroom. They gave him a dewormer, told me I could try to stimulate his vent with a wet qtip and advised one drop of mineral oil and to keep giving him baths daily. They said he was constipated. So far no poop. They didn’t seem overly concerned at all. They do specialize in exotics. So I’m not sure what to do now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the probe thermometer and it reads 99 in basking area. I took him to the vet. They did not ask about temps. They gave him a bath. He didn’t use the bathroom. They gave him a dewormer, told me I could try to stimulate his vent with a wet qtip and advised one drop of mineral oil and to keep giving him baths daily. They said he was constipated. So far no poop. They didn’t seem overly concerned at all. They do specialize in exotics. So I’m not sure what to do now.
Increase the temp to 105-110 either by raising the decor piece or higher wattage bulb-- I would try the decor piece first ----- giving the dewormer w/ out a fecal test was dumb--- you dont medicate a dragon w/ out knowing exactly how bad it is and what exactly hes got for worms or if he even has them!! Please feed the natural laxatives like the unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin mix w/ a drop of olive and a drop of honey make it sweet to taste to see if he likes it -- keep feeding till he goes poop --- daily baths are going to dry his scales out --- I would stick w/ the laxatives -- did you get the UVB in the correct place and distance ?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Was just watching a youtuber and his rescue beardie hasn’t pooped for a month,,, his channel is called “Animal1guy” and he was feeding his beardie prunes….

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure your uvb is correctly placed- the strips have certain distances and placement - basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- if you need help w/ the UVB please ask this is crucial to the overall health and behavior--
I need help with uvb. Mine is the overhead light that sits over the top screen. I cannot go without the lid bc I have a cat. My terrarium is a 40 gallon tank.

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need help with uvb. Mine is the overhead light that sits over the top screen. I cannot go without the lid bc I have a cat. My terrarium is a 40 gallon tank.
I guess I need help with my basking too. I have the same problem. It gets about 100 with a 100w bulb. What wattage should I have for both?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess I need help with my basking too. I have the same problem. It gets about 100 with a 100w bulb. What wattage should I have for both?
For a 40+ gallon tank you need a 24" UVB fixture --- what are you using now? Basking bulbs need to go by what the temps is getting --- you dont want over 110 -- temps should be 95-100 for a adult dragon/ juvie dragon --- they dont like it hotter than 100-- 105-110 for a baby

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
For a 40+ gallon tank you need a 24" UVB fixture --- what are you using now? Basking bulbs need to go by what the temps is getting --- you dont want over 110 -- temps should be 95-100 for a adult dragon/ juvie dragon --- they dont like it hotter than 100-- 105-110 for a baby
Mine is a little more than 4 months old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the UVB is the problem---what is the Brand? If its a Thrive or any other brand other than a Reptisun I recommend you get rid of it --- you can use it then but it MUST be inside the tank or unobstructed distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- this would explain the long poops and not pooping --- hes not getting enough UVB ----the 26 watt needs to be changed out in 5 months they say 6 I would do 5----- if you want to go w/ a long tube fixture which your gonna be better off anyway I recommend a 24" fixture Zoo Med or a Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 ----
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...=1626640437&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24,aps,198&sr=8-2 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it - use as a back up if you need it the distance and placement will be different from the bulb you need which is this one 22" https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-lamp-24-watts you will probably need to order this I cannot find anyone who has this bulb now in stock of the places I order from --
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-O...ocphy=9020114&hvtargid=pla-311792259791&psc=1 you will need the same bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" bulb
https://reptilighting.com/collectio...-uvb-kit-includes-hood?variant=32852714979387 you want the 24" fixture w/ the 12% Desert bulb
Check out the websites I have posted for you and go from there --- I had hard time finding the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb ---