• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month old bearded dragon seems impacted

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed he wasn’t going to the bathroom regularly. I started giving him baths regularly, massaging his belly, I have tried baby pears, prune juice, olive oil, baby prunes, and pumpkin. I can’t get him to take enough of any of it to help. A few licks here and a few lick there. Once he did pass a very small poop but that was days ago and he hasn’t gone anymore. I’m worried about him. He lays in his basking light with his head down a lot. However he has plenty of energy in the bath and otherwise. He doesn’t really enjoy his baths he just wants out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
And he’s eating? Just not pooping? Is he on substrate? Whats his normal bug diet? Ive fed water melon before and found thats helped move stool along.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I noticed he wasn’t going to the bathroom regularly. I started giving him baths regularly, massaging his belly, I have tried baby pears, prune juice, olive oil, baby prunes, and pumpkin. I can’t get him to take enough of any of it to help. A few licks here and a few lick there. Once he did pass a very small poop but that was days ago and he hasn’t gone anymore. I’m worried about him. He lays in his basking light with his head down a lot. However he has plenty of energy in the bath and otherwise. He doesn’t really enjoy his baths he just wants out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keep feeding the pumpkin - water it down and feed my syringe - go slow tho real slow so he does not aspirate - the pumpkin / water will make him go -- what size insects are you feeding ? They should be no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are new at this so I’m not saying we are doing everything right but we are sure trying I’m trying the pumpkin but he doesn’t really like it. He likes the prunes but will only lick very small amounts of it at a time before he refuses. It could be a possibility that his crickets have been bigger than they needed to be. I’m not sure. I haven’t been feeding him any crickets at all since he’s been impacted.

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
And he’s eating? Just not pooping? Is he on substrate? Whats his normal bug diet? Ive fed water melon before and found thats helped move stool along.
He’s eating a little fruits and veggies right now. Normal diet is greens and blueberries (he loves them) and crickets. He is on a mat. He’s not pooping at all. It’s probably been a week and a half. I can feel a hard mass in his stomach.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Does he try to poo at all? I think if you keep up with a warm baths and a firm massage , you might be able to work it out for him, otherwise you will need a vet to help him, impaction can be very serious.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO vet for impaction they will give an enema and it can be detrimental to the dragon please go w/ the natural remedies first then it would be be vet time --- but you MUST try the natural remedies first --- I posted above --- they usually work UVB and basking temps are crucial for digestion please tell me what those temps are and how your taking them and the UVB NO coils please

lemonylay

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve been going through a similar thing…
My bearded dragon started pooping irregularly about 2 weeks ago. He started having watery poops for about a week and a half and for the last 3 days he hasn’t pooped at all.
Diet:
Collard greens & sometimes blueberries
Crickets & Dubia roaches
He’s fed 3 times a day (he’s 6 months old) and he had this same diet sense he was a baby.
His heat and uvb are at the reg temps & wattages.
Im going to start giving him pumpkin today and wait it out.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve been going through a similar thing…
My bearded dragon started pooping irregularly about 2 weeks ago. He started having watery poops for about a week and a half and for the last 3 days he hasn’t pooped at all.
Diet:
Collard greens & sometimes blueberries
Crickets & Dubia roaches
He’s fed 3 times a day (he’s 6 months old) and he had this same diet sense he was a baby.
His heat and uvb are at the reg temps & wattages.
Im going to start giving him pumpkin today and wait it out.
His heat and uvb are at the reg temps & wattages. If your using a coil UVB please get rid of it--- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- 95-100 --insects need to be NO bigger than the space between their eyes length wise -

lemonylay

Bearded Dragon Egg
His heat and uvb are at the reg temps & wattages. If your using a coil UVB please get rid of it--- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- 95-100 --insects need to be NO bigger than the space between their eyes length wise -
He have that strip uvb bulb and his temp rn is 99 he gets medium crickets which he’s been eating for months.

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m using the bulb that came with his terrarium. It came with a 100W basking bulb and the Uv bulb is 26W/ 10.0. He stays in the basking lot a lot. The temp is currently 93 on hot side and humidity is 30%. On the cool side it is 80 and 58% humidity

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does he try to poo at all? I think if you keep up with a warm baths and a firm massage , you might be able to work it out for him, otherwise you will need a vet to help him, impaction can be very serious.
He has tried in the bath once or twice. I will continue the massage and baths. Thank you for your help
I’m using the bulb that came with his terrarium. It came with a 100W basking bulb and the Uv bulb is 26W/ 10.0. He stays in the basking lot a lot. The temp is currently 93 on hot side and humidity is 30%. On the cool side it is 80 and 58% humidity
He have that strip uvb bulb and his temp rn is 99 he gets medium crickets which he’s been eating for months.
NO vet for impaction they will give an enema and it can be detrimental to the dragon please go w/ the natural remedies first then it would be be vet time --- but you MUST try the natural remedies first --- I posted above --- they usually work UVB and basking temps are crucial for digestion please tell me what those temps are and how your taking them and the UVB NO coils please
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB 26W/10.0 Basking 100w
This bulb needs to be unobstructed and approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- please get a digital probe thermometer the stick ons are for ambient temps only-- for a 4 month old basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a probe thermometer-- make sure those insects are no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise-- correct basking temps and UVB are crucial for digestion--