• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 new beardies

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is my first experience with little beardies... I have a 30 something gallon tank. I have a heat lamp. I've had them for two weeks and two days. I live in az so temps aren't low. My beardies haven't eaten for like two or three days. I'm very worried!

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
uploadfromtaptalk1391300595081.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391300620184.jpg

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
What are the temps at each end of the tank? What kind of thermometers are you using? Were they eating fine up until 2-3 days ago? What have you been feeding thus far? Do you have them on a strict day/night schedule? Are you misting or offering water by eyedropper for hydration? Pictures of the enclosure and more info on environment, behavior, husbandry or history might help. I see they are looking a bit slimmer and maybe dehydrated?

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
Waiting on infrared thermometer to come in mail but I do know I have a 100w exo terra daylight basking bulb and its about 6" from the highest spot on their log... my temp in house is never lower than 68 at night and I did think they were looking dehydrated so I started bathing them daily. I've been handling them and taking them outside...

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also the last time they ate it was dubia roaches before that it was cilantro and bell peppers.. i just got some little crickets hoping they would eat them but the haven't yet... oh and I did dust the roaches with calcium with vitamin d3

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Dubia roaches usually are preferred by beardies to crix maybe they're just waiting for them and don't want the crix. Also, I see two lights on top of the lid..what's the other one? The basking side NEEDS to be between 105-110 degrees for babies. Temp can affect appetite. Get to the store and get a digital thermometer with a probe on the end. You need to know the temps now, not later. Place the probe exactly where your beardies sit. Temps must be spot on with babies. Cool side should be 80-85. If you're using a nighttime light..stop. They dont need it unless the ambient temp inside the tank drops below 65. Bathing daily may be a bit too much try every other, and mist with room temp water on the off days instead. Mist a bit heavier on the head area. Water must get near their mouths if they're gonna drink it. Try offering water by eyedropper by dripping on their nose..don't drown em but just one drop at a time and see if they'll lick it off and get water that way. Greens should include collards. .mustard..turnip..endive..escarole..

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Also, I see the one branch extending up is very close to the light. At no spot in the tank that they can get to should the temp be higher than 115. If the temps are too high up there and too low on the lower branch you may have to rearrange that branch or replace it with something else that doesn't create such a variance in temp.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
The reason I ask is the distances recommended are different if it's a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) versus a UVB bulb. Also what wattage is it?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I've heard mixed reviews on this bulb...some say they're improved and perfectly fine now. Others say they don't put out proper UVB light and only put it out in a very small area within the enclosure at that. Some say they can cause eye problems and loss of appetite. I have never used this brand because of the mixed opinions. ..the bulb I use is a Zoo Med brand Reptisun 10.0. This is a long tube looking bulb and covers way more area within the enclosure. Not only that but I've read NOTHING bad about it..only good. I bought an "under the cabinet" style housing and secured it with heavy duty indoor/outdoor double sided tape to the inside of the tank just below the upper plastic "lip" of the tank. There should be some way for you to string the cord out to plug it in. The most common size I see in stores is the 18 inch. I have a 24 inch and order my replacement bulbs online. Housing unit-$8.00-10.00 bucks. Tape-$3.00-5.00. 18 inch bulb around $25.00. As I said I've never used the brand you're using I cannot give any opinion on it.

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've also read the same mixed reviews... planning on getting an under the counter light and long bulb soon. I've made an appointment for tig with a vet but the only opening is a week from today

finally1976

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also have a screen on mine and the pet store said its strong enought to get thru the screen

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe some light is getting through but I doubt very much is. Whenever I ask anything at a pet store my first question is "do you yourself own a beardie? " if "no", I am wary of their advice. Have you gotten digital thermometers yet? Are they eating anything?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I also have a screen on mine and the pet store said its strong enought to get thru the screen

If the Uvb is put on top of the screen the beardie needs to be able to get within 10 inches because the screen will cut the uvb significantly no matter what bulb. Under the screen the beardie needs to get within 12 and that's with the repti sun 10.0.

Also ditch the spiral bulb. There just plan bad for the beardies.

Latest posts