• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

100w not heating tank enough

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I purchased a 100w basking light and I turned it on and let it stay on and heat the cage for a couple hours. It only got to 91°F. The dimensions of the tank are 36”L 18”W and 18”H. The area between the light and the basking spot is 10 inches. I’m getting a juvenile so the tank will need to be around 105°f to 110°f. Should I get a 150w or a 125w?
As with most tanks you need A warm end and A cool end. So as I do put the bulb on an end or middle and than build A basking point under the bulb. Stair step it so the lizard can kick back and relax at the temperature range it is seeking. ALWAYS provide A cool down area. So when you get your little guy you will see them under the light with their mouth open. They do this because they are to warm but they know how full their tummy is and without the heart they cannot digest properly so they let the heat on their belly and cool down the head by open mouth breathing.
Another little trick. When you get the little one they tend to gulp their food. Actually they all do but the babies over does it. This is not good when eating worms and crickets as they need to be crunched up so as not to bite the inner parts. Best way I found to avoid the problem is feed some greens first. That way they are not so hungry and they will dine on the worms instead of gulping them whole.

GixxerSteve

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also have a 36x18x18 tank (40 gallon) and the 100w bulb wasn't hot enough. Switched to a 165w and it was perfect. My beardie usually chills on his hammock about 5 inches away from directly under the lamp. The hammock is 7 inches under the lamp.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I also have a 36x18x18 tank (40 gallon) and the 100w bulb wasn't hot enough. Switched to a 165w and it was perfect. My beardie usually chills on his hammock about 5 inches away from directly under the lamp. The hammock is 7 inches under the lamp.
My goodness that is insane 165 watts for a 40 gallon tank!!! Insane to the max. PLEASE REMOVE IT. Is it a real basking bulb??? A 40 gallon tank takes a 100Watt, my 2 beardies are in the same measurment tank as you and the temp gets 105-107; I have to raise my basking bulb and its like 12inches away or higher with this heat I monitor it & adults like 95-100; mine like 97 or so. Do u have the ZooMed basking bulb? $14 from a petstores and the REptisun for UVB the 10.0 T5 has to be 8-12 inches away from him when he basks he should be getting UVB with the Heat. The length of the UVB should voer 70prcnt of the tank startgin at the Hot side or he will get MBD and bones will be destroyed and wont be able to walk or eat without this best recommended and only UVB. U also must not have a digital thermometer. There is no way that a 100watt didnt work for you. The cheap paper stick on velcro or cheap dial ones are NOT accurate. Buy the ZooMed digital thermometer $10 and the digital Thrive Hygometer. Please get the 165 WAtt out u will overrheat him. Buy a basking platform they are $14 its like a cave and he can bask higher or lower.

GixxerSteve

Bearded Dragon Egg
My goodness that is insane 165 watts for a 40 gallon tank!!! Insane to the max. PLEASE REMOVE IT. Is it a real basking bulb??? A 40 gallon tank takes a 100Watt, my 2 beardies are in the same measurment tank as you and the temp gets 105-107; I have to raise my basking bulb and its like 12inches away or higher with this heat I monitor it & adults like 95-100; mine like 97 or so. Do u have the ZooMed basking bulb? $14 from a petstores and the REptisun for UVB the 10.0 T5 has to be 8-12 inches away from him when he basks he should be getting UVB with the Heat. The length of the UVB should voer 70prcnt of the tank startgin at the Hot side or he will get MBD and bones will be destroyed and wont be able to walk or eat without this best recommended and only UVB. U also must not have a digital thermometer. There is no way that a 100watt didnt work for you. The cheap paper stick on velcro or cheap dial ones are NOT accurate. Buy the ZooMed digital thermometer $10 and the digital Thrive Hygometer. Please get the 165 WAtt out u will overrheat him. Buy a basking platform they are $14 its like a cave and he can bask higher or lower.
I was warned about this forum, that some members think they're subject matter experts on your beardie and your enclosure and will let you have it. Keyboard warriors, if you will.

That being said, you've got to be shitting me with your response. "You will overheat him". I'm pretty sure she's smart enough to know what temperature she prefers, and can walk over to the cool side to cool down, which she does. She also sits under the lamp, off to the side, with her mouth open most of the time. The problem with your diatribe is that you assumed that I have thin mesh screen, which I do not. The Thrive terrarium is almost like sheet metal with holes in it, so it takes a greater amount of heat and light to get through. A normal mesh enclosure "should" suffice with a 100w bulb, maybe 125w. I actually have the ZooMed digital thermometer you speak of. My temps are within range. My beardie is happy. I could question your judgement to put 2 beardies in a 40 gallon enclosure, but then I would be no different than you. Good day.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was warned about this forum, that some members think they're subject matter experts on your beardie and your enclosure and will let you have it. Keyboard warriors, if you will.

That being said, you've got to be shitting me with your response. "You will overheat him". I'm pretty sure she's smart enough to know what temperature she prefers, and can walk over to the cool side to cool down, which she does. She also sits under the lamp, off to the side, with her mouth open most of the time. The problem with your diatribe is that you assumed that I have thin mesh screen, which I do not. The Thrive terrarium is almost like sheet metal with holes in it, so it takes a greater amount of heat and light to get through. A normal mesh enclosure "should" suffice with a 100w bulb, maybe 125w. I actually have the ZooMed digital thermometer you speak of. My temps are within range. My beardie is happy. I could question your judgement to put 2 beardies in a 40 gallon enclosure, but then I would be no different than you. Good day.
We rescue & rehome. I DONOT have 2 bearides in a 40 gallon I have 2 tanks and 2 separate beardies. U can NEVER house 2 in the same tank; worse thing u can do cuz one dominates and one suffers!! I have rescued over 500 dragons and what we see is horryfying. The dragon having his mouth open most of the time is to stop him from overheating-YES read up on it; means the area is too hot and he is trying to oool cuz temp is too hot. Mouth oepning for a short period is ok but not most of the time as u stated and hes not basking hes away trying to cool down. Mesh or metal UVB in the back and 100 watt for a 40 gallon; google it and read it for yourself. Does yours poop everyday? Energized. LEt me guess you have a $2 bulb from HDEpot and NO REptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB?? Worst thing u can do to a dragon. Next u will tell me u have a colored bulb and have it on when he sleeps. NEVER EVER use colored bulbs it burns their eyes and they need pure dark at nite. I have had multiple cages & dragons & 100 watt bulb same cage as you. Sounds like he doesnt have a platform for baksing; he must be on the floor thats why your temp isnt hot enuff! It needs to be 95-100 the temp. Go spend $14 and buy a basking platform and stop being cheap!!!

GixxerSteve

Bearded Dragon Egg
We rescue & rehome. I DONOT have 2 bearides in a 40 gallon I have 2 tanks and 2 separate beardies. U can NEVER house 2 in the same tank; worse thing u can do cuz one dominates and one suffers!! I have rescued over 500 dragons and what we see is horryfying. The dragon having his mouth open most of the time is to stop him from overheating-YES read up on it; means the area is too hot and he is trying to oool cuz temp is too hot. Mouth oepning for a short period is ok but not most of the time as u stated and hes not basking hes away trying to cool down. Mesh or metal UVB in the back and 100 watt for a 40 gallon; google it and read it for yourself. Does yours poop everyday? Energized. LEt me guess you have a $2 bulb from HDEpot and NO REptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB?? Worst thing u can do to a dragon. Next u will tell me u have a colored bulb and have it on when he sleeps. NEVER EVER use colored bulbs it burns their eyes and they need pure dark at nite. I have had multiple cages & dragons & 100 watt bulb same cage as you. Sounds like he doesnt have a platform for baksing; he must be on the floor thats why your temp isnt hot enuff! It needs to be 95-100 the temp. Go spend $14 and buy a basking platform and stop being cheap!!!
To the admins of this forum, you should seriously consider removing this person's ability to post here. It makes your forum look bad. Like a joke. Coming from someone who was a moderator on multiple other forums over the years. She can't even spell correctly, let alone have a helpful discussion.

Julee, you said "my 2 beardies are in the same measurment tank as you". Now you're saying they're not in the same tank, because you don't want to look foolish. Tad late on that one dear. Also, Reptile Magazine explains the following: "When a bearded dragon reaches its thermal maximum, it will often sit with its mouth open. This behavior, called gaping, shows that the lizard is at its optimal temperature for basking. This gaping will allow a bearded dragon to dissipate extra body heat. Since lizards don’t sweat, this is an effective way for them to regulate their body temperature." The Bearded Dragon.org says that "The most common reason for an open mouth is that your bearded dragon is regulating his/her temperature. Unlike people, bearded dragons cannot sweat, therefore to control their body temperature they will open their mouth whenever they reach their ideal body temperature and don't want to get any hotter. Normally the bearded dragons will do this when they are basking under the heat lamp. Bearded dragons will also have their mouth open if they have a respiratory disease. However, since having an open mouth is common behavior for bearded dragons, it's normally just a sign that they are regulating their heat." So yeah, saying that an open mouth is abnormal makes you look uneducated. I'm not even going to reply to your other comments about bulbs and platforms. Pretty sure I have better stuff than you do. Bye.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So I went to home depot today and bought this bulb. Is this usable for the basking bulb?
RFiyn... we rescue and rehome and Sadie is guiding you a bit incorrectly. U need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 Not the 5.0. The 5.0 emits little to no uvb at all. Order it on amazon the length to cover 70 percent of your tank. Also for the basking bulb buy the ZooMed clear basking bulb from a pet store for heat; that’s all u need. The Reptisun 10.0 will b bright and will give the best UVB for the Beardie. This Reptisun needs replacing every 6mnths set a reminder on your iPhone. Lights on in the summer for 12-14 hours and In the winter 10-12hours. Try and keep the same turn on and turn off times. Also buy the RepCal calcium and give it to him 3-4 times a week once per day lightly dusted so the crickets are lightly powdery white. At nite no lights they like pure dark get a fake log it’s $8 on Petsmart website the medium size. If temp drops below 70 at nite u can buy him a ceramic heat emitter from Petsmart that emits heat but no light;)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
To the admins of this forum, you should seriously consider removing this person's ability to post here. It makes your forum look bad. Like a joke. Coming from someone who was a moderator on multiple other forums over the years. She can't even spell correctly, let alone have a helpful discussion.

Julee, you said "my 2 beardies are in the same measurment tank as you". Now you're saying they're not in the same tank, because you don't want to look foolish. Tad late on that one dear. Also, Reptile Magazine explains the following: "When a bearded dragon reaches its thermal maximum, it will often sit with its mouth open. This behavior, called gaping, shows that the lizard is at its optimal temperature for basking. This gaping will allow a bearded dragon to dissipate extra body heat. Since lizards don’t sweat, this is an effective way for them to regulate their body temperature." The Bearded Dragon.org says that "The most common reason for an open mouth is that your bearded dragon is regulating his/her temperature. Unlike people, bearded dragons cannot sweat, therefore to control their body temperature they will open their mouth whenever they reach their ideal body temperature and don't want to get any hotter. Normally the bearded dragons will do this when they are basking under the heat lamp. Bearded dragons will also have their mouth open if they have a respiratory disease. However, since having an open mouth is common behavior for bearded dragons, it's normally just a sign that they are regulating their heat." So yeah, saying that an open mouth is abnormal makes you look uneducated. I'm not even going to reply to your other comments about bulbs and platforms. Pretty sure I have better stuff than you do. Bye.
Never ever can u House 2dragons in the same tank ever. One always suffers and one dominates; the other. Ask a Reptile vet!! I work closely with them turning in relinquished Beardies on their death Bed!!! Ignorant people buy Beardies without learning and reading. Reptisun 10.0 T5 only for UVB the length to cover 70 prcnt of the tank, and a ZooMed basking bulb and digital thermometers & digital hygometers, calcium powder RepCal brand 3-4 times a week; once per day, baths twice a week in dechlorinated water and crickets and Dubias along with staple greens and veggies. Yes mouth open for short periods to body regulate but not for hours on end. Open mouths for long periods like long periods and noises and feeling suffocated thats URInfection we see it all day; needs a vet ASAP due to water in the nose when bathing, & improper temps especially humidity higher than 40 and freezing temps below 68-70 at nite these are all causes of URinfection. I have rescued over 500 dragons and if u don’t want to listen and educate I feel sorry for the dragon; I am here to help. “Sadie” is posting tonbuy the Reptisun 5.0-my G-D google if Reptisun 10.0 or 5.0 is better the 5.0 is useless litttle to no uvb!!!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Here you go directly from the Internet!! No such thing as overheating?! Really Read for yourself:

Attachments

• 998CAD7C-619E-453E-B865-8089D36FC9FA.png
    998CAD7C-619E-453E-B865-8089D36FC9FA.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts