• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

100w not heating tank enough

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
I purchased a 100w basking light and I turned it on and let it stay on and heat the cage for a couple hours. It only got to 91°F. The dimensions of the tank are 36”L 18”W and 18”H. The area between the light and the basking spot is 10 inches. I’m getting a juvenile so the tank will need to be around 105°f to 110°f. Should I get a 150w or a 125w?

Attachments

• 3E7B713E-7A15-461D-B297-7BCD4C8177D2.jpeg
    3E7B713E-7A15-461D-B297-7BCD4C8177D2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
  • 2BF7B9A6-57A7-43AF-B76F-C9F7B6CF93E9.jpeg
    2BF7B9A6-57A7-43AF-B76F-C9F7B6CF93E9.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 120

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I purchased a 100w basking light and I turned it on and let it stay on and heat the cage for a couple hours. It only got to 91°F. The dimensions of the tank are 36”L 18”W and 18”H. The area between the light and the basking spot is 10 inches. I’m getting a juvenile so the tank will need to be around 105°f to 110°f. Should I get a 150w or a 125w?
How are you getting that temp? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe thermometer- basking temps for a juvie/ adult should be 95-110-- what are you using for a UVB?

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
How are you getting that temp? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe thermometer- basking temps for a juvie/ adult should be 95-110-- what are you using for a UVB?
I have a digital probe that read 90. The stick ons say 80 they are inaccurate. This is the bulb I was using

Attachments

• 2BCD12CB-2908-43C0-8F71-DD6212543AD8.png
    2BCD12CB-2908-43C0-8F71-DD6212543AD8.png
    3 MB · Views: 128

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a digital probe that read 90. The stick ons say 80 they are inaccurate. This is the bulb I was using
Ok so that is accurate so bump it up to a 125 if you can just make sure you watch temps- what are you using for a UVB?

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so that is accurate so bump it up to a 125 if you can just make sure you watch temps- what are you using for a UVB?
Thanks! And here’s the UVB bulb that I am using.

Attachments

• B89098BA-E422-4866-9215-231211E7967B.png
    B89098BA-E422-4866-9215-231211E7967B.png
    2 MB · Views: 134

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! And here’s the UVB bulb that I am using.
Ok so if your gonna go w/ a coil of which I don't recommend get the Reptisun - you need a reflective dome and it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking decor- and it needs to be unobstructed- it needs to be changed out in 6 months-- I have no faith in coils- too many health issues - especially cheap ones- I recommend the long tube fixtures a 24" w/ a reflector w/ the T 5 bulb they are the best on the market at this time

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so if your gonna go w/ a coil of which I don't recommend get the Reptisun - you need a reflective dome and it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking decor- and it needs to be unobstructed- it needs to be changed out in 6 months-- I have no faith in coils- too many health issues - especially cheap ones- I recommend the long tube fixtures a 24" w/ a reflector w/ the T 5 bulb they are the best on the market at this time
Would you mind sending me a link to what you recommend so I don’t purchase the wrong thing.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...84-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this would be good for a 40+ gallon tank this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up - you can use it but it would need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches since its considered a T 8
If your screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank w / a distance of 12-15 inches if its a wide holed screen like a dime it can sit on top of the screen w/ basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...84-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this would be good for a 40+ gallon tank this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up - you can use it but it would need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches since its considered a T 8
If your screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank w / a distance of 12-15 inches if its a wide holed screen like a dime it can sit on top of the screen w/ basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches
Thank you so much. Also when buying this I still need the basking bulb as well correct. This is uvb only not heat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. Also when buying this I still need the basking bulb as well correct. This is uvb only not heat?
Correct you only need the UVB and your basking bulb if your cool side is dark you can use a HH bulb 60 watt LED they produce no heat

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
So I went to home depot today and bought this bulb. Is this usable for the basking bulb?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I went to home depot today and bought this bulb. Is this usable for the basking bulb?
As long as it's a bright basking bulb and keeps temps - also make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
NO do not buy a higher watt bulb just raise the basking platform but your platform is great. U probably don’t have a digital thermometer. Buy the ZooMed digital thermometer ($10) It’s the only accurate one & place the probe on the basking platform u should be fine or buy a higher platform. Also is that a a blue UVB bulb? U need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 to give the best UVB it goes in the back starting at he hot side and covers 70 percent of the tank. U have the correct heat lamp the ZooMed basking 100watt now u need the long UVb Reptisun 10.0 T5 order from amazon use what u have now then return it to the petstore when the Reptisun arrives. Also lots of crikckefs and Dubai Roaches only feed lots of protein 5times a day as much as they can eat. Alongside a fresh dish of diced staple greens and veggies; dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellow squash, butternut squash,snap peas and green beans as everyday foods. If u don’t train them now to eat the greens and veggies u will have a hard time when older. So lots of protein till they are 6mnths of age then u can drop to 3feedings a day of protein but always ans forever all the greens/veggies 2-3 of each per day Mixed and diced to his size/age. And pure dark at nite; NO lights at all. Use a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat but no light. For babies/juveniles temp at nite should be around 78-80. As he gets 6mnths or older temp can be lower than 78 but never below 70 at nite.

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there. I have found with my dragons that getting a 150w bulb, with s cersmic fixture with a dimmer switch works wonders. I need to turn it up s little in the winter, and down a couple if notches in the summer. Works great!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As long as it's a bright basking bulb and keeps temps - also make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp
It is feasible but go get the ZooMed basking bulb from petco or Petsmart it’s like $14 if u can’t spend for the bulb how are u doign for crickets and Dubias and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB?? The dragon needs uvb or u will destroy his bones and he will get metabolic bone disease and won’t be able it walk or move or digest his calcium or absorbing vitamin D. He needs uvb also so please order the length to cover 70 prcnt of the tank

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you choose to raise/lower the platform instead of getting a higher wattage bulb (which is still a viable decision,) be careful not to cause instability in the platform. If you have to put something under it, you risk your dragon knocing it off balance enough to cause trauma and/or injury. I have been rehabilitating and rehoming dragons for years, and have had two such dragons I rescued by well-meaning owners trying to raise a platform meant to be placed in the bottom of the tank, and NOT moved. It is absolutely true that the dragons need their UVB and basking heat to digest their food, and overall wellness. Make sure they have a big enough hide for their size to get out of the uvb and/or heat at their leisure. Bee pollen is great for their immune system, (also gives them an energy boost for a couple of hours,) but only give ONCE a week. Overuse can cause fatty liver disease in dragons. As someone who rescues dragons, I am so happy to see how much you love snd want the best care for, your dragon.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there. I have found with my dragons that getting a 150w bulb, with s cersmic fixture with a dimmer switch works wonders. I need to turn it up s little in the winter, and down a couple if notches in the summer. Works great!
U need UVB!! And 150 watt is overkill
Unless u have a 120 gallon or bigger tank!! Also ceramic heat emitters in conjunction are u trying to kill the dragon. Those heat emitters are used at night for heat.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also a juvenile Beardie over 7mnths old needs 100-105 never ever higher. At 1year plus 100 is good

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My tank is 24 inches high and 36 long and I use a 100watt ZooMed basking bulb and in the last few weeks they are dying cuz it’s getting to 107 so I had to raise the bulb with my riser that I bought. DONOT use a 150watt bulb and a ceramic heater; that’s what to Hot. Spend the $10 and get the digital ZooMed thermometer!! It’s the only accurate one th strip ones are wrong. Your dragon is not gonna bask and it will be way to hot for him. Ceramic only use at nite if temp drops below 70. U wipp only need it in the winter and I hope it emits heat and NO light. Beardies need pure dark at nite never any lights. Also u need the Reptisun Uvb 10.0 T5 u will destroy their bones, they won’t be able to walk or eat and will die from metabolic bone disease. Also REPCAL brand calcium 4times per week and Herptivite 2times per week. Dust the calcium once per day only and feed crickets and Dubias only and the staple greens and veggies 2plates a day. Google staple greens for Beardies: Dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives, yellownsqauash, butternut squash, snap peas and green beans only everyday mix 2-3 of the greens and 2-3 of the veggies everyday 2 fresh plates one in the Am and one mid afternoon. Alongside 3feedimgs of crickets /Dubias Like 60/day.

Latest posts