• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ziggy update and continued worries

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi again,

I posted a while back about our pet, Ziggy. He is about a year and a half old. He was doing great until about September. He then started to not eat his greens - would only eat bugs. He started having mobility issues, and soon could no longer catch crickets. We were feeding him super worms exclusively for a while. Eventually, his mobility got so bad that he couldn't even get the worms - if he did try to eat them, they'd manage to squirm out of his mouth.

Upon advice, we got him a UVB light that was better than the coil one we had - a 10.0 t5 long bulb and fixture. We hung it inside his cage. It probably needs to be lower, as he can't climb up on things, and I got some wire to work on that.

We've been feeding him with a syringe - a blend of greens and fruit and calcium and freeze dried crickets, whirred up in a blender (we got him his own dedicated blender). We've been giving him fluids subcutaneously. We also give him a supplement.

He doesn't seem to be getting much better. He moves his legs a little, but can hardly even push himself forward. He can life his head high.

He had a vet appointment this morning. They continue to maintain he doesn't have MBD. They say it could be paralysis, and said that we probably got "a lemon" when it comes to our Beardie - a "beautiful, wonderful lemon." They said he weighs a perfect amount, and he is pooping at least every other day, which is more than he did when he was healthy. But they said eventually the paralysis will make it so he can't life his head, and then he will have serious problems eating and/or breathing.

Trying not to cry and my heart is pretty crushed. Anyone have any ideas how we can help him? We love him so much. He's no "lemon" to us!

Thank you in advance.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi again,

I posted a while back about our pet, Ziggy. He is about a year and a half old. He was doing great until about September. He then started to not eat his greens - would only eat bugs. He started having mobility issues, and soon could no longer catch crickets. We were feeding him super worms exclusively for a while. Eventually, his mobility got so bad that he couldn't even get the worms - if he did try to eat them, they'd manage to squirm out of his mouth.

Upon advice, we got him a UVB light that was better than the coil one we had - a 10.0 t5 long bulb and fixture. We hung it inside his cage. It probably needs to be lower, as he can't climb up on things, and I got some wire to work on that.

We've been feeding him with a syringe - a blend of greens and fruit and calcium and freeze dried crickets, whirred up in a blender (we got him his own dedicated blender). We've been giving him fluids subcutaneously. We also give him a supplement.

He doesn't seem to be getting much better. He moves his legs a little, but can hardly even push himself forward. He can life his head high.

He had a vet appointment this morning. They continue to maintain he doesn't have MBD. They say it could be paralysis, and said that we probably got "a lemon" when it comes to our Beardie - a "beautiful, wonderful lemon." They said he weighs a perfect amount, and he is pooping at least every other day, which is more than he did when he was healthy. But they said eventually the paralysis will make it so he can't life his head, and then he will have serious problems eating and/or breathing.

Trying not to cry and my heart is pretty crushed. Anyone have any ideas how we can help him? We love him so much. He's no "lemon" to us!

Thank you in advance.
Oh my goodness! That's so sad. :( I'm a newbie mum, but just thinking about how it came on so sudden, vet doesn't think it's MDB, and with his age I would wonder if it wasn't something in his environment or something he ate that he shouldn't have that is having adverse affects. Did vet give that a consideration?

I could be wrong, but I would think that even with a progressive disease of some sort there would have been indications sooner. Sounds like you take very good care of him and would have noticed symptoms sooner. Sorry I'm not much help with advice. Hoping experts can help.

Hugs to Ziggy. Hoping he gets better!

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh my goodness! That's so sad. :( I'm a newbie mum, but just thinking about how it came on so sudden, vet doesn't think it's MDB, and with his age I would wonder if it wasn't something in his environment or something he ate that he shouldn't have that is having adverse affects. Did vet give that a consideration?

I could be wrong, but I would think that even with a progressive disease of some sort there would have been indications sooner. Sounds like you take very good care of him and would have noticed symptoms sooner. Sorry I'm not much help with advice. Hoping experts can help.

Hugs to Ziggy. Hoping he gets better!
Well, this has been developing since last September, and we've been trying various things to "fix" him. The vet has changed diagnoses a couple times. My wife even thought at one point that they gave us a different lizard who was sick! I doubt anything that nefarious happened. I do think feeding him only bugs for a while might've been bad - I wish we'd worked sooner with the syringe/smoothie.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, this has been developing since last September, and we've been trying various things to "fix" him. The vet has changed diagnoses a couple times. My wife even thought at one point that they gave us a different lizard who was sick! I doubt anything that nefarious happened. I do think feeding him only bugs for a while might've been bad - I wish we'd worked sooner with the syringe/smoothie.
Ahhh, but it must have came on sudden in September, though right?.?

Hmmm maybe the bug only feeding, but I've heard from others here that their babies won't eat their salads and pig out on their protein. My guy refused to eat his salads for the longest time. Ziggy was not quite a year old in September?? Definitely odd.

Hoping someone has a bit of advice/info for you. Poor Ziggy. :(

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
I am so sorry to hear this. I found this link that explains a paralyzed BD

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am so sorry to hear this. I found this link that explains a paralyzed BD

Wow quite a bit of info and definitely good to know. Didn't realize there could be so many reasons. Thanks Zontar's Mom!

Interesting what they said about over doing the calcium. I've been a bit worried about this myself and will sometimes sneak in an extra day of not giving Dex his dusting. I monitor constantly to make sure he's still looking good and getting enough, though. I watch his poo like a hawk for any chalkiness. (I know eeewwww.) My worry is that I also give his bugs calci gel and grain. Dusting his salads every day makes me think I'm giving him too much so I tend to back off sometimes. Especially now that he's eating more salad than protein.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi again,

Thank you in advance.
Im sorry you both are going through this, while i don’t agree with your vet calling him a “lemon” which shows his emotional intelligence......no such thing, it does kinda sound like he had a stroke and he could have a form of paralysis , sometimes things can happen and its NO ONES fault, please dont play the woulda should’ve could’ve game,, i had a skink some years ago who I believe had a stroke in the night and i woke up to him just gone (me and my dad were shocked cause we had done everything perfectly) , i dont personally have experience with beardie conditions,cause i am a first time beardie owner , but i have had lots of lizards and amphibians ,with issues, most lizards dont show pain or suffering if his condition doesn’t improve in another week you guys might want to weigh your options , its great he’s moving his head and going to the bathroom , but if he did have a stroke, we may not know whats all working inside of him, you dont want him to go into Sepis, that would bother your wife even more, if you guys trust that he can get better i think you should keep fighting, but if not i think you can still do one last loving act for ziggy, again im sorry...

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
I agree with skybug. If BD is till eating, drinking and pooing and not blackbearding which would be signs of pain or stress, I personally would enjoy him as is. However, should he show signs of pain I would opt for euthanasia. My opinion only

ZiggysDaddy01

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with skybug. If BD is till eating, drinking and pooing and not blackbearding which would be signs of pain or stress, I personally would enjoy him as is. However, should he show signs of pain I would opt for euthanasia. My opinion only
He does blackbeard a bit, but he's done that a lot ... even when he was feeling perfectly healthy.

Latest posts