• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yet another newbie!

Jimbo82

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of bearded dragons, and keeping them. My partner has an interest in these friendly little creatures (as do I), so I'm surprising her for her birthday with her own little bearded friend in a few weeks time..

As I'm new to all this, and everyone seems to have an view, I figured I'd place my plans out on the table for review of those that currently keep them, and see what suggestions flow to ensure I have all bases correctly covered!

Enclosure:
The basis of the enclosure will be black melamine fibre board, with a 6mm glass frontage running 1200mm long x ~500 deep x ~600 high. I would go deeper, but space is limited for now unfortunately. Access will be via the top with a full length hinged "flip over panel" giving access to all areas inside the enclosure.

There will be a 3 foot long UV light (with 10.0 rated tube inside) on a timer (12 hours on, 12 off?), with 2x 100 watt ceramic heat lamps & 1x 100 watt red heat lamp running on a full time thermostat to regulate the correct thermal temperatures (warm temps at one end, cooler at the other). I'm planing to mount the red heat light & 1 ceramic heat lamp within the 1st 3rd of the enclosure, the 2nd ceramic heat lamp within the second 3rd of the tank for basking, and the last 3rd of the enclosure becomes the cooler end. It's worth also noting that the red heat lamp will be switchable (turn on for day time, and off for night), but still run of the existing thermostat, leaving just the two ceramic heaters for overnight temp control.

Air circulation will be via 3x 30mm round vents at the bottom of each end of the enclosure, and a larger 250mm rectangular vent on the cool end of the tank against the back wall.

Substrate:
Still open to what I'll use, but thinking of a mix of a natural textured tile (sealed), some larger flat round pebbles/stones (bigger than the size of an full grown dragons head - makes the place a little interesting?), and a base of a material I saw in a pet shop being used (looks like a black & white cat litter?).

Add a interesting rock or two to climb on, some hide outs, and perhaps a nicely shaped log or two closer to the heat lamp for basking, I think I've got it all covered..

Of course a small shallow water bowl, and a place for some greens, and i think I'm doing OK..

So, that's whats in mind, it's possible I've missed stuff, so please, fire away your suggestions or questions, so I can test myself & be confident the lucky creature will live in a happy & healthy home..

Cheers,

James

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
James, Welcome to the forum !

Okay. A few suggestions.
I would suggest that instead of the ceramic heat and red lighting, for day time, use a house hold light, not the energy savers, but normal, or a flood light.
Dragons tend to do better under bright white lighting, which is closer to their natural habitat.
Also, you shouldn't need any night time heat if temps don't fall below 65*F.

Particulate substrates might not be the answer for really young dragons.
Tile works well, but you don't have to seal it in, just lay it in tightly.
As for something under that tile, perhaps paper toweling or non adhesive shelf liner.. The basking place should be ideally within 6-8" of the uv light, but around 12" (if using a flood light) from the basking light.

As for the basking rocks, perhaps something even larger than you are thinking.
I have used body long/wide rocks to good effect.

The opening from above might also cause some issues.
Reptiles natural predators come from above.. you may want to rethink an opening from the front. This way your new buddy can see you coming in, and won't react in a negative way. Of course, you always need to move slowly at first, until baby becomes accustomed to your movements.

The vents on the side may want moving to the top as the long one in back.. this will allow heat and air flow where temps are most likely to hold, as heat does rise.

Water bowls are used by some of us, you will want to be very intense on making sure of it's cleanliness on a daily basis. As for the depth, just enough so the dragon's vent (where the poo exits from) is submerged.

You will still want to offer baths 3-4 times a week as most dragons don't tend to drink from still water..

Those are my suggestions thus far. As you communicate more information, I am sure others will chime in on their suggestions.
Once again, welcome to the forum !
Janie

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
as janie said ;D
best off sticking with just tile rather than that cat litter stuff i wouldnt seal the tiles as will aid you in cleaning just being able to remove the tile, why so many heaters, i use a ceramic heater and a house hold spot the ceramic is to steady temps as is really cold over here the majority of the year and is hard to keep steady temps otherwise i wouldnt use it..
the viv size would be great for a older beardie but a little to large for a baby at nearly 4' long
welcome to the forum, what a great bday pressie. remember pics of the new addition when you get him/her are a must on here
no questions are seen as stupid so if there is somethin buggin you please do ask as we all been in the same position and still we all have these questions from time to time, there are many experianced handlers on here which would be glad to help to the best of their knowledge, like they say the day we stop learning will be the day we die
paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, James and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your soon to be family member. They will be a blast for you.

It looks like Janie and Paul gave you some great feedback, so I won't reiterate it all. But I will give you the link to our basic caresheet. It goes over the necessary items to have a happy healthy dragon. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.

Bearded Dragon Care

Latest posts