• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wounded Hatchling

Crazy Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everyone,
I have 15 hatchlings in three tanks. I have two 20 gal tanks with 7 in each one and a 10 gal tank with one aggressive little guy in it. When they were first hatched all I had was a 20 gal tank and they were all in there together. Needless to say there are a lot of nipped tails and three little guys that I call my amputees. No offence to anyone. These three have each had a front leg bitten and they are shriveling up. This evening my daughter saw one of the calmer dragons with almost a whole front leg of another in his mouth. She said he opened his mouth and backed off the leg which had already been bitten. Now the leg is really swollen and bloody at the wrist. I don't know what to do with him, I am afraid of someone else biting him again and making his leg worse. I don't have anywhere else to put him and I am not sure if I could wrap that tiny leg. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 0414152055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 0414152057.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't help I'm sorry. Never had any hatchlings don't have a clue I know that there are folks on here who have so hopefully somebody will pop in and give you some useful info. It's got to be tough

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry that happened. How is he this morning? Is the guy that got hurt one of the ones that aren't eating?

Crazy Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is doing a bit better, his arm is not as swollen today. He is eating greens like mad, they all are. It's just the crickets that they don't like. Actually I wouldn't say don't like, it's more like they are scared S#@%less of them. LOL Although I took a really aggressive hatchling and put him in a 10 gal tank all by himself. That was three days ago. He has not eaten since. When I put greens in I put him on the greens and he just runs away. All he wants to do is bite me and bask and be left alone. Everybody else weighs between 4-5 grams, he is down to 3 grams. I am getting worried.

Caitjinoy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had beardies nip hands, arms, and tails off before. It's extremely sad but most of them do ok.
One beardie I found with another one biting his hand and wouldn't let go, it took a minute of me gently pulling him away but he finally let go. What was left of the victims leg was swollen for a few days then shriveled up and fell off. He was totally fine after that, in fact he was the quickest beardie of all of them! Another not so lucky guy was bitten on a front arm and it shriveled up but didn't fall off. I decided to cut it off myself (don't worry I made sure to not touch any living tissue!!) but the next day he was suddenly lethargic. He seemed to do better a little bit after that but then he died:(
Just watch him carefully. If he gets lethargic rush him to a vet! Also you can put some neosporin on it to help keep it from getting infected.
Buy a 10 gal and separate the aggressive guy from the others.

Crazy Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Caitjinoy. I did put the two aggressive guys that I was able to single out in to a 10 gal tank. The one little guys are is slowly going down. Another's first half of his front leg fell off but like you said he is doing really well. I have all the ones with bitten legs in one tank. I call them my "Amputees", no offense anyone. The only problem I am having now is that the two aggressive ones are not eating. One was in the tank first for about a week and a half, he had already stopped eating. When I put the other in with him he stopped eating too. I think they are on a hunger strike. I am not sure what to do to get them to eat again. The first one has already lost 1 gram, all the others are 4 or 5 grams. But he is a vicious little bugger, he runs like mad when I try to pick him up and once I have him he is all teeth!

Latest posts