• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried what this might be...

Jesse Longley

Bearded Dragon Egg
012D76EC-C143-4AD6-BC4A-51FEFB3FB1C4.jpeg
81CA26A3-7EFD-4DDA-8BA9-C4C798792D63.jpeg
012D76EC-C143-4AD6-BC4A-51FEFB3FB1C4.jpeg
81CA26A3-7EFD-4DDA-8BA9-C4C798792D63.jpeg
B1754D81-F167-4C9D-85A5-CDFEF085EC2B.jpeg
D73F7BB5-83CE-4F05-B2BF-54CF97D6F040.jpeg
D180CEA8-3761-41B7-90E3-38C71335E1E9.jpeg
E7FAB0B9-8F2E-4510-9ACB-FFE4B3A00E56.jpeg
12B2ABF2-037D-43AF-90C6-FA3BD17F3EA2.jpeg
Hello,

My bearded lady is just over a year and 1 month old. She has always been in perfect health with exception to a damaged tail end before I got her. It was perfectly healed when I bought her. She has presented the past month with a round white spot on her head. It is not shed. The scales themselves are white/cloudy transparent. Now it has spread to the same side of her head just on the side of the beard. I have checked her all over for signs of yellow fungus but I do not see any indication. She still eats regularly, moves around, and shows no other signs of discomfort. I checked her bones and looked for any signs of mbd but found no evidence that it was occurring. When it first occurred I did about a week of antifungal cream on it with no results. She takes calcium regularly and has a varied diet of greens, veggies, crickets, and XL meal worms.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Honestly it looks like shed to me. Sometimes they get this real thick white shed that is a ***** to come off. When dragons get older they start to just shed random spots at a time rather than their whole body at once. You can see in her picture that her back is darker and her belly and her right arm are a whitish color, that's what shed looks like.

If you are really worried take her to a vet but I would try starting with a warm bath and rub a soft toothbrush over her.

Jesse Longley

Bearded Dragon Egg
She is definitely about to shed on some other spots, like you said. Hopefully this is just one of those really thick spots you are talking about. I am going to keep applying the antifungal just in case but I was just looking for any possible answers. I am not worried enough for the vet yet because she is showing no signs of discomfort or temperament change.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I really wouldn't apply the anti fungal cream without having a vet look at it. It's very harsh and could cause a burn if not applied for the proper reasons.

Jesse Longley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your response though. I have a degree in biology so I can usually diagnose and treat things like this easily but when in doubt get some other opinions. Sometimes experience out does book smarts anyway.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the shedding process.. NOT a fungal issue at all.. When they are adults they will shed in little bits and pieces here and there.. My male will shed a toe here and there a bottom lip 1 ear hole and so on.. Please just let the process happen naturally.. You can put 100% pure aloe on the areas or in the bath water. Deep sheds can take awhile before they fall off.

Latest posts