• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

worried, going to call vet tomorrow

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My little girl is starting to worry me a little. She pooped Sunday, did not poop yesterday or today. Today she passed a tiny amount, about the size of a large pea, of urate only with a small amount of liquid. She did eat her bell peppers today but left her greens, she normally eats them all 2x a day. She also was not interested in her crix and for her to not want crix is a huge cause for concern seeing how she normally begs for them and eats 80-120/day.

Any tips on what I should do? I am calling her vet tomorrow but you all have other ideas that always seem to work and if it can save me money that would be great!!!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh, that doesn't sound too good. Unfortunately I cant give advise here . . . but will be thinking of you, and keeping fingers crossed that all turns out OK. :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How is her behavior and remind me how old is she?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup, age? Also has anything in your husbandy changed?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am guessing she is about 6 months. I did take her tile out on Friday when we got back from the vet. She has worms, amebias and bacterial infection of the intestines. I figured the paper towel would make doing frequent deep sanitizing easy and hopefully keeping her from getting it again after treatment. She goes back again on 6/18 for another treatment. She has been eating and pooping funny since her first treatment so I do not think changing back to the paper towel is what is causing her to act funny. She seems to like paper towel more than tile. She will lay on the paper towel but not the tile.

She did poop today and it was A LOT!!! She was much skinnier after. It still stunk a little but not as bad. My husband woke me up and asked me to clean it b/c it was making him sick. He gags when he changes the babys diaper (this is our 2nd child and he still gags) and when he has to pick up dog poop up from the yard, so he is not one to go by. She also ate about 100 crickets, but has only picked at her greens. I am not worried about her picking at the greens. I feel much better now that she ate and pooped.

How long should it take for her poop to go back to normal?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He said the worms from the crickets and the others he does not know. I am starting to think when I bought that viv I did not sanitize it good enough and she picked it up from there. I don't know what was kept in it before or what happened to it. I thought I clean it good. I used straight vinegar to sanitize it the first time. I try to avoid bleach when at all possible b/c it make my throat swell and my skin peel if it gets on me. I have been cleaning it with bleach now b/c I don't want her to get sick again, I am wearing a mask and gloves to clean it with bleach. I am also wondering if all of it came from the crickets, the place I order from has almost no crickets available right now and just before she got sick I had a batch that had a huge die off rate, about half died before I could feed them. Most time I only lose a handful out of 2,000. I feel really bad b/c some how I think this is my fault, I should have did something different with her. But without knowing where it came from I can't do anything other than wonder how or what made her sick.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm...it does make you wonder about the crickets, doesn't it? I think most of the time, the crickets are the culprit for this stuff.

I'm sorry she has to go through this. Fingers crossed that it is a speedy recovery.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, I hope she gets better soon. She had such a rough start to life so I feel extra bad that she is sick. If she survived starvation, no UV light, just a red light kept on 24/7 and dehydration she can survive this. Vet said she was a little on the fat side but not enough to put her on a diet.

I wonder about the crix. I get Oscar's crix from Petco but they get them from the same place I get Slyders crix from and he is fine. It could have been that batch b/c the ones that I had a high die off from would be adults right about now. Don't know but I do think it was the crix that did it all. I keep her and her cricket bin very clean so for her to get so much wrong I really don't think it was something I did. Chris says I take better care of the lizards then I do him. He says the order is Kids, pets(lizards, dogs/cats) then him. He is happy I found a hobby with the lizards, he just has to make jokes.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not sold on the crix. If you are buying them from a reputable place and keep them clean you shouldn't have a problem. I ALWAYS feed crix and never had a problem. But, who knows.

What is the "intestinal bacterial" that the vet is talking about?

What meds did he put her on?

Yes, meds can cause problems depending on what is given. Many times they can dehydrate so soaking on a daily basis is the key.

Also, depending on what meds a pro-biotic is a good thing to give.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he did not say what bacteria. the clear liquid was green and he said it was bacterial or kidney and with her age and current health he wanted to treat for bacteria before assuming kidneys and putting her through the test for it. The fecal sample I brought was not good so when I go back on the 18th I have to bring a new one. He gave her Metronidazole and a dewormer. He wants to do 2-3 treatments. Should I give her a pro-biotic and if so what. I just want my baby better. She still seems very happy and is back to eating like a pig.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Probiotics are always a good idea when administering meds.
Hope this helps out !
Good luck !

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You mentioned a large die off of crickets. That may be the on going virus that has made it's way into the states that caused that. Apparently it can't be transfered to your dragon so no worries on that then.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup, that drug is an antibiotic. Give acidophilus. Make sure you get a soy based and not a dairy based.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have some...keep it on hand for when I take antibiotics. How much do I give. When she went to the vet she weighed 260g

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm afraid I forget, lol! This aging thing is killing me. I'll search in my notes and get back. Hopefully somebody's brain is working before I get it.

The stuff you have on hand...is it soy based?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure pills will work. I know you can give liquid, powder and you can even open a capsule. Not sure about the pill though. Hopefully LK will pipe in on this one.

Latest posts