• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my bearded dragon

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1392227625947.jpg

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would do 2 of these.
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptileheating/thermometers/015561224727

And one of this
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptileheating/thermometers/015561224772

The other ones you posted have the heat and humidity in the same sensor. So that would be a miss read as your putting it right under the light.

So with the ones I suggested you can put one prob under basking area. The other prob stick to glass on other end and humidity sensor in middle of enclosure....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also the reptisun has to be replaced once a year. Where the Repti glow has to be replaced every 6 months.
I'm really curious: Would you happen to have any test results or article based on actual tests to substantiate this about the Repti-Glo, I have used Repti-glo tubes for years, am using Repti-Sun at the moment because I got a good buy on a quantity of them. Being that I have all my UVB fixtures unfiltered, I only replaced the Repti-Glo or the Repti-Sun at the manufacturer's recommended replacement time of one year & have done this for 12 years, since day one.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm really curious: Would you happen to have any test results or article based on actual tests to substantiate this about the Repti-Glo, I have used Repti-glo tubes for years, am using Repti-Sun at the moment because I got a good buy on a quantity of them. Being that I have all my UVB fixtures unfiltered, I only replaced the Repti-Glo or the Repti-Sun at the manufacturer's recommended replacement time of one year & have done this for 12 years, since day one.

Typical UVB coatings on the florescent tube wear off and diminish in 6 months. Even though the light will still remain the UVB rays do not. A quick Google search of "how often do I need to change my UVB bulb" can show u that.

Zoomed indicates year from date of purchase.
uploadfromtaptalk1392241783794.jpg

As for the reptiglo I honestly can't find anything that says replacement time. Other than everything I research says it's an OK UVB but should be changed every 6 months etc.

I also can't find any results that show exactly how long UVB bulbs actually produce UV rays. This is a good read however.

http://thetegu.com/archive/index.php?t-659.html

More so Tupinambis comments.

Either way I'm no expert on this. But from my years of owning reptiles and being informed by others etc I've always been told 6 month replacement because they loose the UV ray output.

Cheers.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All UVB bulbs diminish with age of use & if mounted above the screen, the recommended replacement time should be halved because of how much the screen may block\reflect\filter. This applies to any UVB bulb, including the Repti-Sun, not just the Repti-Glo.

The Manufacturer's recommended replacement time for Repti-Glo bulbs is one year, as it is with most UVB bulbs.
Repti-Glo Replacement.JPG

Repti-Glo got a bad rap, that it did not deserve, back in 2008-9. http://uvguide.co.uk/ used to be the leader in UVB info, was supposed to have had a complete makeover by 2012, through the grapevine I have understood that Frances Baines [The Site Owner & Researcher\Tester] may have fallen seriously ill & is why it was never completed. Anyway, they posted this info from their test results ...
We have now documented 40 individual cases, occurring since September 2006, affecting 16 turtles, 3 tortoises and 21 lizards in the USA and in Europe, affected by ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamps and (more rarely) 5.0 Compact Lamps.

Read More: http://uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm
The Repti-Sun at the time also had a very good rep & was the most talked about at the time too, but had not yet hit full stride. Now people thinking that it could never be the Repti-Sun because of it's High rep that could manufacture a bad bulb, as the story got repeated over & over like a bad gossip story, because of the similarity in names, suddenly it was Repti-Glo bulbs in general that was the bad bulb & not the Repti-Sun compact (Repti-Sun has since rectified the issue). The astigmatism has stuck & spread.

This is a direct quote from a post in another forum from Frances Baines in reply to a query concerning problem reports on Repti-glo UVB bulbs.
there are only a very few reports of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis associated with ExoTerra compact lamps or linear tubes ...and out of the half-dozen or so convincing cases I've collected over five years, (yeah, ok, that's not a lot, but the affected animals did suffer...) most, but not all, occurred when the reptile was able to get very close to the lamp.
I am told that probably because they are so cheap, Exoterra ReptiGlo tubes are the most popular brands on the market, so the incidence of injuries must be very low; the risk cannot be very great.

Frances Baines
http://www.uvguide.co.uk
This false rumor has plagued the Repti-Glo for years & is still going on & spreading wild.

At quick glance at the thread you posted, seems to just be a lot of I heard, I heard ...

LOL I had to look up "tupinambis", my new word for the day.

Last edited:

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Coz he's not had a bath this week so was going to bath him today but he only ate about an hour ago

Latest posts