• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about dark color and closing eyes

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, Im worried about my girl. She's almost 2 yrs old. Ive been having trouble getting my heating temps right . I was using a 75w zoomed basking bulb but the temps would sometimes get over 110 way to hot ! Im using a digital ther. with prob. So I got a 50w and it ranges from 95- 106 . My main concern is in the last couple days her back and head are very dark kinda blackish in color . Not her beard. Her real color is yellow/ orange. Also she has been keeping her eyes closed more while basking. Today she was laying at the bottom of her tank sleeping at 5 pm, not normal for her. That scared me ! I woke her and took her out she went back to her normal color ? I let her run around my room she was not as active as she usually is when out. After i put her back in her tank her color went dark again . Whats going on with her ?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, its great that you are involved with your lizard to notice these type of details. From the description it sounds like she is darkening to absorb the rays/heat. What type of uvb bulb do you have and how old is it? It is not uncommon for a adult dragon to take a mid day nap. This may be a result of age in your case. With hte temps you posted. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Gillie, Im using a Reptisun 10 tube just put in on 3/1 . I bought it off of amazon so hope its good. I have a 40g breeded. She eats her greens well. collard, mustard, turnip, squash and some fruits and other veggies . Poops are normal- solid and she poops almost every day. bathe her 1 time a week. So her darkening is normal ? What about the eye closing ?

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
From the description it sounds like she is darkening to absorb the rays/heat.

Is this a good thing or bad ? Is she getting enough heat and uvb ? She is dark again today and has stress marks . :(

That didnt work. How do I reference or copy what another person said ? Taking from Gillie's answer

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That didnt work. How do I reference or copy what another person said ? Taking from Gillie's answer
Hit reply at the bottom right hand corner of the post that you want to quote ;) .

What you are describing can be a method they use to thermoregulate their body temp, as previously mentioned & is quite a common\natural happening. The eye closing can be for any number of reasons, both good & bad.

Please post pics of your dragon & setup from different views to show your lighting orientation in comparison to the rest of the enclosure, along with as much of your husbandry specs as possible. Temps, thermometers used to take them & where, substrate, use of a night light?, day\night schedule, etc, etc. This will help other members to get a "feel" for your setup making it easier to give informed replies & pinpoint potential issues or problem causers.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ah, got it . Thanks Germ! Im am running Very late for work :rolleyes: I will post pics and specks tonight

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Info on my girl & setup : Honey Ryuu: 20 months, female, 16-18," 419 grams , fecal negative (1/28/13) vet visit
Tank: 40g breeder
Substrate: ground walnut shell " I know, i know now its bad. It will be changed to play sand on fri !! She has been on it for quite sometime with no problems.
UVB: Reptisun 10 tube 24" long (3/1/13) on top of screen .until now i used reptiglo 10 compact coil
Heat/basking spot: Zoomed 75w basking bulb . It was getting way to hot temps were getting to 110 and above switched to zoomed 50w a couple days ago temps 98- 103 along with a 40w clear bulb. Basking spot (log) about 9" from heat bulb
Digital thermometer : 1 on basking spot , 1 on cool side . Cool side temps 78 - 80
Night time : No light, no heat . temp 68-70
bathe 1-2 times a week

Food: daily salad of greens. collard, mustard, turnip, escrole or endive. She usually gets a variety of 2 at each feeding .squash, butternut or spaghetti. I give other foods like carrots, zucchini sweet potato, mango, strawberry... I use beautiful dragon's feeding list.
When they say occasionally how often is that ? once a week, once a month ?

Vitamins : Rep a shy, supervite. Rep-cal calcium w/ D3

4-15-13 3.jpg

This is her looking dark .

4-23-13 5.jpg

4-23-13 2.jpg
4-23-13 4.jpg

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, besides my substrate is there anything else i should change ? I bought the play sand after work today . Im off tomorrow so i will change it . She still seems less active and dark at times. She hasnt eaten much in the last 2 days either.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your setup looks ok, other than the Walnut Shell substrate that you mentioned is getting changed or has been changed & a few other minor adjustments. If the basking spot is 9" from the heat Bulb, then it is well over a foot from the main center portion of the UVB tube, making it too far away to be effective when filtered through a fine screen. I would suggest moving the basking spot approximately 4-5" towards center. This will help to reduce the distance from the Center Portion of the UVB bulb to the Basking Spot (There is very little effective UVB emitted off of the ends of a tube, the strongest UVB comes off the center areas of the tube). When mounted above a screen, the distance from the UVB bulb to the Basking Spot, should be no more than 8-10" from the bulk center portion of the tube, in order for it to give effective\usable UVB amounts.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ, I will move the basking log over to the middle of the UVB . I wish i would have bought the shorter tube so it could be more on one side. I have the 24". I know its best mounted inside but i spent a lot of money on the hood and bulb and dont wanna just waste it.
Anyway, im so DISAPPOINTED in the play sand i bought i wont even use it ! I drove over 1/2 an hr to Lowes to get it. :mad: Its Quickrete and i thought it was supposed to be a good brand. Its crap, full of little rocks not nice sand . I also bought a halogen flood light today, guess what ? Its not heating enough only getting temps of 95 :(
GE halogen 48w.jpg

Seriously i just wanna cry . Why cant i get it right ?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's okay. I got play sand and you won't believe how much grit and gravel was in it. I spent a long time filtering it through a sifter. You can filter it through a screen to where it's nice and fine.

I've made that mistake when I bought a halogen flood light like that. I returned it and got a 75 watt one.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For one thing you got the energy efficient Halogen, no wonder it won't throw enough heat. No such thing as an 'Energy Efficient' Heat bulb ;) . Needs high energy to produce the heat :) .

As Noella said, it happens quite often that we have to & should strain any sand used in an enclosure.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
No such thing as an 'Energy Efficient' Heat bulb ;) . Needs high energy to produce the heat :) .
Very funny Germ ! At least i laughed once today. I will return the flood light . Im back to my 75w zoomed . Ill try sifting the sand tomorrow after work and see how it goes. Im so stressed out ! :confused: It was easier raising my kids and dogs . Lol Thank you to everyone trying to help me out . Never thought id get so attached to this little girl. Started out as my sons and i was afraid of her. Now i love her ! :D
Michelle

Latest posts