• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about baby bearded dragon

adventuresofprawn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All, new here to the forum and have had our baby 4 month old bearded dragon a week now after sadly our 10 year old boy Rex who died from a tumour.
Little Prawn was very active the first 3-4 days of bringing him home, eating well with his live food not so much veg at lunchtime. He poo'ed on the 2nd day too. Over the last few days he has been not active at all and hiding in the leaves over the shady side, not eating unless I offer food to his mouth with tweezers, eyes closed a lot, not going over to bask basically not leaving shadier area and looks like asleep constantly. I have noticed that he is shedding a bit on his tail and head.
I went back to the reptile shop I got him from yesterday and explained his behavior and that I was worried with the inactivity and change- also to note I am not touching him for 4-6 weeks so he adjusts to new surroundings. Told them about my set up they said was fine and was just because he is shedding. I'm just not convinced.
Prawn was also greeting us at front of viv window in the morning every morning and his fave spot was on top of a big log , now not coming out from under leaves at all over past 2 mornings.

Is this normal behavior for a baby beardie just been bought? Should I be concerned? Is he stressed with coming out of the reptile shop?

20240417_093522.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi All, new here to the forum and have had our baby 4 month old bearded dragon a week now after sadly our 10 year old boy Rex who died from a tumour.
Little Prawn was very active the first 3-4 days of bringing him home, eating well with his live food not so much veg at lunchtime. He poo'ed on the 2nd day too. Over the last few days he has been not active at all and hiding in the leaves over the shady side, not eating unless I offer food to his mouth with tweezers, eyes closed a lot, not going over to bask basically not leaving shadier area and looks like asleep constantly. I have noticed that he is shedding a bit on his tail and head.
I went back to the reptile shop I got him from yesterday and explained his behavior and that I was worried with the inactivity and change- also to note I am not touching him for 4-6 weeks so he adjusts to new surroundings. Told them about my set up they said was fine and was just because he is shedding. I'm just not convinced.
Prawn was also greeting us at front of viv window in the morning every morning and his fave spot was on top of a big log , now not coming out from under leaves at all over past 2 mornings.

Is this normal behavior for a baby beardie just been bought? Should I be concerned? Is he stressed with coming out of the reptile shop?

View attachment 35501
He should be basking - please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them -- uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- how old is the bulb? We want all this on par before we rule these out-

adventuresofprawn

Bearded Dragon Egg
He should be basking - please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them -- uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- how old is the bulb? We want all this on par before we rule these out-
UVB is a long tube. its a brand new.
Reptile shop said to put thermostat prob in middle- i said the hot end should be hotter but its 35- they said thats fine and cool end 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB is a long tube. its a brand new.
Reptile shop said to put thermostat prob in middle- i said the hot end should be hotter but its 35- they said thats fine and cool end 25
Surface basking temps should be 105-110 F-- probe should be placed where he sits for basking - ambient temps around 100 F on hot side- is the uvb in the tank? Brand and bulb please-- you don't need to leave the probe on the spot he's sitting for basking but it needs to be spot checked every few weeks- cool side of the tank 80ish F

adventuresofprawn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Surface basking temps should be 105-110 F-- probe should be placed where he sits for basking - ambient temps around 100 F on hot side- is the uvb in the tank? Brand and bulb please-- you don't need to leave the probe on the spot he's sitting for basking but it needs to be spot checked every few weeks- cool side of the tank 80ish F
UVB is in the tank and its

NEPTONION T8 Desert Terrarium Fluorescent Lamp Tube 18" Full Spectrum UVB Bulb, Dual-Threat UVA/UVB 10.0 - 15 Watt​

I will follow my gut then get a new climate control thermostat that goes higher.

Thank you for your advice.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB is in the tank and its

NEPTONION T8 Desert Terrarium Fluorescent Lamp Tube 18" Full Spectrum UVB Bulb, Dual-Threat UVA/UVB 10.0 - 15 Watt​

I will follow my gut then get a new climate control thermostat that goes higher.

Thank you for your advice.
You might want to invest in a better UVB -I have never heard of this brand - here is a good one https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w
UVB should be directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches this bulb needs to be changed out in approx 10-11 months
for the T 8 it should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor - that bulb should be changed out in 5 months

adventuresofprawn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Little Update: The next day after posting this , Prawn sprung back to is normal self. Complete shed and been absolutely fine. heat gun said hot end is 38 and cool end is 25. he is moving around chasing his bugs again and back to what he was when he first arrived. He is greeting us every morning again and hardly in the leaves at all unless its bedtime (which i will let him off at that time!) done couple of poo's since we've had him just over a week. So all going well.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear Prawn is being their normal self!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Little Update: The next day after posting this , Prawn sprung back to is normal self. Complete shed and been absolutely fine. heat gun said hot end is 38 and cool end is 25. he is moving around chasing his bugs again and back to what he was when he first arrived. He is greeting us every morning again and hardly in the leaves at all unless its bedtime (which i will let him off at that time!) done couple of poo's since we've had him just over a week. So all going well.
Did you get the better UVB bulb?

Latest posts