• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wobbly walking/curved spine/limited back leg function

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is Zeke doing today?
Based on the x-rays, the brightness of the bones on the x-rays look good so I don't think he has
metabolic bone disease. Did he fall off of something to hurt himself?
You mentioned that he was limping or hobbling?
Continue giving the powdered calcium to him several times per week, for now, meaning just the
once daily on those days, to see if he improves more.
How many dubia roaches do you feed, weekly?

Tracie

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

How is Zeke doing today?
Based on the x-rays, the brightness of the bones on the x-rays look good so I don't think he has
metabolic bone disease. Did he fall off of something to hurt himself?
You mentioned that he was limping or hobbling?
Continue giving the powdered calcium to him several times per week, for now, meaning just the
once daily on those days, to see if he improves more.
How many dubia roaches do you feed, weekly?

Tracie
Hello! He has been the same, and he has fallen once after he was already hobbling and landed on his side and couldn’t flip himself which is when I made his enclosure all one level before the vet visit. And his enclosure at the time didn’t have a great surface area for him to turn around very well so he could’ve fallen once before that but I never saw it :/ it doesn’t seem like he’s limping, definitely hobbling I’d say. I’d attach a video but I’m not really sure how? He’s 684 grams but he might be a bit more than that now. He won’t eat more than 2-3 dubias in one sitting (although eager to eat them) and he gets dubias 2-3 times a week so probably around 6-8? I do offer greens but like I said he’ll eat a bite or two but that’s about it. Should I feed them every day to make sure hes getting more calcium? I just don’t want him to become overweight and add another issue :/ here are some photos of the indent I was talking about too, he doesn’t have it all the time but does flinch when I touch that area
0B398978-14F7-4AB8-B73B-76BA185D0288.jpeg
3CF31114-7880-4476-BC38-EB97EA1FE88C.jpeg

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

It doesn't appear on the x-rays that the bones were light colored in contrast. So, I wouldn't think that
he has metabolic bone disease. Can he walk & climb normally & support his bodyweight on all fours?
I know you mentioned that he is limping, is that from a fall?
That is definitely an odd bump on the side, how long has it appeared like this?

Tracie

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

It doesn't appear on the x-rays that the bones were light colored in contrast. So, I wouldn't think that
he has metabolic bone disease. Can he walk & climb normally & support his bodyweight on all fours?
I know you mentioned that he is limping, is that from a fall?
That is definitely an odd bump on the side, how long has it appeared like this?

Tracie
He can walk and climb but it isn’t normal, he wobbles from side to side (not limping, his hind quarters just seem weak in general) when he’s walking and I’ve made his enclosure all one level so I can’t tell you much about the climbing. My best guess is that he took a fall yes, but I’m not 100% sure. And it’s not a bump on his side, it’s a literal indent. And he seems sensitive when I touch there too :(. He’s been like this for almost a month now. I’ve been trying to get into a different exotics vet but it’s proving to be difficult.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He can walk and climb but it isn’t normal, he wobbles from side to side (not limping, his hind quarters just seem weak in general) when he’s walking and I’ve made his enclosure all one level so I can’t tell you much about the climbing. My best guess is that he took a fall yes, but I’m not 100% sure. And it’s not a bump on his side, it’s a literal indent. And he seems sensitive when I touch there too :(. He’s been like this for almost a month now. I’ve been trying to get into a different exotics vet but it’s proving to be difficult.
Try this website www.arav.org -- if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
184A3160-392D-4EF4-9F33-3AF27C6A238A.jpeg

So I should hopefully be getting an appointment with a new vet within the next week or so, he’s started developing a muscle tremor in his front left leg.. which I’ve read can be a sign of MBD but the x rays didn’t point to that? As well as these pink spots? I’m wondering if the pink is from him using his front legs more than his back? Unless someone here has any idea what else it could be?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 35327
So I should hopefully be getting an appointment with a new vet within the next week or so, he’s started developing a muscle tremor in his front left leg.. which I’ve read can be a sign of MBD but the x rays didn’t point to that? As well as these pink spots? I’m wondering if the pink is from him using his front legs more than his back? Unless someone here has any idea what else it could be?
Looks like shed spots that have not come back in ---- the foot looks swollen - are you having blood work done? If so I would have them check uric acid levels-- are you feeding dubias? And do you have a hammock in the tank?

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like shed spots that have not come back in ---- the foot looks swollen - are you having blood work done? If so I would have them check uric acid levels-- are you feeding dubias? And do you have a hammock in the tank?
He is getting ready to shed, and I probably will have bloodwork done yes. What do the uric acid levels mean? I am feeding dubias yes, and no hammock in his tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is getting ready to shed, and I probably will have bloodwork done yes. What do the uric acid levels mean? I am feeding dubias yes, and no hammock in his tank
Gout is caused by high uric acid levels- if they are too high they cause swelling and it is very painful--- we need Tracie to respond to questions about the X rays--- dubias are notorious for causing gout- they retain high uric acid levels and if he does test for gout you will need to change his feeder to something like BSFL or silk worms- and they can prescribe Allopurinol for the gout -- but lets see what happens here w/ the blood work
@Drache613

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gout is caused by high uric acid levels- if they are too high they cause swelling and it is very painful--- we need Tracie to respond questions about the X rays
@Drache613
Omg yeah I just looked it up, it’s caused by feeding too many insects or just genetics in general? he just makes it hard because he doesn’t eat his greens most of the time! He did eat a good few pieces today though which made me happy. I will say though he’s always had buff legs, however they do seem a little swollen now that I think about it. I wonder if a comprehensive panel would show uric acid? I work at a feline practice and could potentially run that panel through our lab so it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, I’ll look into it! How fast does gout progress do you think?? Like do I have a little bit of time to get approved for care credit and get into this new vet?

hippiehoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gout is caused by high uric acid levels- if they are too high they cause swelling and it is very painful--- we need Tracie to respond questions about the X rays
@Drache613
Omg yeah I just looked it up, it’s caused by feeding too many insects he just makes it hard because he doesn’t eat his greens most of the time! He did eat a good few pieces today though which made me happy.
Gout is caused by high uric acid levels- if they are too high they cause swelling and it is very painful--- we need Tracie to respond to questions about the X rays--- dubias are notorious for causing gout- they retain high uric acid levels and if he does test for gout you will need to change his feeder to something like BSFL or silk worms- and they can prescribe Allopurinol for the gout -- but lets see what happens here w/ the blood work
@Drache613
Here are some pictures of all 4 of his legs, also I would assume switching to mealworms for a bit wouldn’t help the situation? Thats the other feeder I have on hand (for my leopard gecko)

Attachments

• 251FB0C1-CB52-48D0-90E9-E54EE743AD62.jpeg
    251FB0C1-CB52-48D0-90E9-E54EE743AD62.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • B8886CF8-9ABB-40BC-818E-372CCC54F201.jpeg
    B8886CF8-9ABB-40BC-818E-372CCC54F201.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 422D90DC-D634-4732-9ED5-A486EAE1C122.jpeg
    422D90DC-D634-4732-9ED5-A486EAE1C122.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 5754D47C-702A-47C4-9E4D-39F884B7CDC1.jpeg
    5754D47C-702A-47C4-9E4D-39F884B7CDC1.jpeg
  • B02CE4CC-0FD4-47D8-8A78-2E11548E45E5.jpeg
    B02CE4CC-0FD4-47D8-8A78-2E11548E45E5.jpeg

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Have you taken him to the vet for a blood test yet?
The uric acid levels should be in a range of 2-4mg/dl The levels basically show the blood saturation
of uric acid presently. Elevated levels don't always indicate gout, but sometimes dehydration can
cause elevated levels. Too high of levels will cause renal damage if not reversed.
There does seem to be some puffiness on the hands & forearms but it's hard to tell overall.
As Sadie had suggested, dubias are naturally high in uric acid so do opt for silkworms, crickets,
hornworms or superworms for better choices. Are you giving oral fluids, daily?

Tracie

Latest posts