• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

will she calm down and get used to handling??

itsk80m80

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! I've had my dragon for about 4-5 months now, and she was only a few weeks old when I got her, so I've been most of the human interaction she has had for her whole life. This is my first reptile, so sometimes I get a little bit worried I could be doing something wrong. I do work at a pet store and have plenty of friends that own/have owned dragons, so I'm sure it's ok, just overthink because I want the best for her.
She's always been pretty shy, and I know they usually are as babies. Lately, especially though, she's been showing signs of aggression, as in hissing and puffing quite a lot. She has never bitten me or tried, but I worry that maybe I'm scaring her. I currently have her in a 40 gallon tank (am in the process of building a new one for her that opens in the front instead), so I wonder if maybe the sound of taking the tank topper off and me reaching in stresses her out? She eats fine, isn't super picky about food, but dislikes being soaked, but I do it at least once a week or if she is actively shedding. The temperature and lighting are fine, and she does have active bowel movements.
I am always very gentle with her and leave my hand near her before trying to pick her up. She's comfortable with hand feeding, and once I have her out she's usually fine, just jumpy if I make quick movements, and she doesn't mind if i pet her. It's mostly the act of me reaching in and/or picking her up that she gets clearly upset. I'm just curious if this is normal, and either way, how to maybe speed up the process of her being completely comfortable with me, or if that will come with relaxing in general as she ages. Any tips in general are extremely appreciated!! Thanks :)

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds about normal as she grows and matures. Eventually she'll figure out that you arent giving in. When she does or jump at you it's very important not to back down. Otherwise they learn that by doing that you leave them alone.

Latest posts