• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will new beardie not eat for few days?

Eric

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got new juvenile beardie last night. I know it’s going to take time for him to get adjusted. How long before I should be worried. I have crickets in with him now but hasn’t touched them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it can take a few weeks sometimes, some eat right away some need time to adjust. Just make sure you take the un eaten crickets out each night as they can bite sleeping dragons..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Please take any uneaten bugs out. They can and will bite your dragon. If you have a glass tank, you can cover 3 sides of the tank to block out the sights and sounds of the room and help them feel more secure. Once they aren't so overwhelmed by the sounds they will relax and hopefully start eating.

MyFirstDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine ate very little for a few days after I got her. Experiment and try different things to see if that gets him to eat.

I use a separate bin for feeding and only leave her in there for 10-15 min. 2-3 times a day. If she doesn't eat in that 10-15 min period I put her back in her regular tank. It's easier than trying to track down and catch crickets in her regular tank. The first couple of days I had her (8 wks old) she wasn't interested in the crickets at all and would occasionally eat greens. I found that she really prefers Collard and Dandelion Greens over Mustard Greens.

The first time I dusted the crickets with calcium she finally pursued them and ate 4-5. After that she still preferred greens but would eat a just a few crickets dusted or not.

Then I tried putting a heat lamp over the feeding bin and put her flexible climbing rope/vine in there too. I think she's more comfortable with the heat lamp and having the vine to climb around and "hunt" the crickets from her new vantage point. I've had her for 2 weeks now and she just started eating up to 10 crickets twice a day and will eat greens from my hand.

Just keep offering a little bit of food a couple of times a day and he will eat when he's hungry.

Eric

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes it can take a few weeks sometimes, some eat right away some need time to adjust. Just make sure you take the un eaten crickets out each night as they can bite sleeping dragons..

Thank you!!!! He is eating the crickets now but how do I get him to eat veggies? He won’t eat anything that’s not moving for him to hunt. What’s a good number of crickets to feed right now. I can only feed twice because of work.

Eric

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you!!!! He is eating the crickets now but how do I get him to eat veggies? He won’t eat anything that’s not moving for him to hunt. What’s a good number of crickets to feed right now. I can only feed twice because of work.
Twice a day!!!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep trying. Some are very stubborn veggie eaters. I have a 5 year old that still refuses to eat them on her own. I can get her to eat a strawberry occasionally but greens forget it! I've learned to be sneaky though, when she chews a bug, I stick a green in her mouth with the bug so she has no choice but to eat it.

Eric

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will have to try that. I am guy loading my crickets so maybe he is getting what he needs.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I will have to try that. I am guy loading my crickets so maybe he is getting what he needs.

I always hoped that by gut loading the bugs, they were somehow getting what they would have gotten by eating the veggies themselves. When I took Dexter in for her first blood test, I was worried about what they would find because she doesn't eat her greens. To my surprise everything was good. So just keep gut loading your bugs but also keep trying with the salad.

Latest posts