• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Lizards?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was watching youtube and noticed that someone feeds their bearded dragons wild caught lizards from their backyard because of his ravenous appetite.

I'm not thinking of feeding Allie lizards because I don't have any around me. But people have been saying something about lizards eating lizards out in the wild on the poster's discussion.

Emmily

Juvenile Dragon
Well idk I am not an expert at this but I have a feeling its not good for them idk maybe Germ will know

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can find all sorts of stuff being fed to BDs on YouTube, for many it is posted for the 'Shock' value, others because they think it makes them look 'Cool' or 'Tough' to have an aggressive animal that will decimate anything.

A very well known Breeder posted this one a year or 2 ago, this is a quote of one on my posts on another forum some time back ...
Germ said:
Warning! Very Graphic!
This vid depicts the feeding of roaches, a feeder Anole & a Scorpion. It also depicts his Breeding & egg laying process, along with his facility. So if this will bother you, don't view it.

When asked, why the feeding of the Anole & Scorpion, his reply ...
people kept putting thier small bearded dragons in with thier adult dragons. Then, they were suprised when the babies got eaten. (this happens every month over and over again.) Hoping this video educates on how varacious bearded dragons can be. Feeding a scorpion is simular to a trout eating a crawfish.
We were concerned that the scorpion might injure the dragon, especialy the eyes. I carfully clipped the tip of the stinger to dull it. The scorpion I used in the video has very very mild venom. The dragons were in no danger.

I only feed and recomend roaches, crickets, worms, and greens.

Steven Barnes
Wild caught anything poses disease & parasite risk. Some keepers will feed anoles sold as feeders, but it is not recommended because the majority of Anoles sold for this purpose are wild caught.

As far as feeding the Lizard itself, it is simply another type of live feeder, not really any different than feeding mice, roaches, crickets, locusts or worms. Some BDs will eat just about anything, if it is smaller & it moves, it's lunch, including their own kind or offspring. I haven't run across any nutritional specs on other lizards as feeders, so can't comment on that.

But because they will eat it, doesn't mean they should be fed it. As far as those that justify it because it happens in the wild & it is the 'Circle of Life' etc, they should remember that a BDs lifespan in the wild is very short compared to what is possible in captivity. Natures way of compensating for this is their large & multiple Clutches per breeding. Most of us try to give our BDs as long and healthy a lifespan as we possibly can, by providing the best care & food as we can. Others, well ....

In my opinion, while I don't recommend or condone it, without knowing their nutritional content, I don't feel it any different than any other live feeder if they are captive bred. As with any larger live feeder there is the risk that your BD may be injured in the struggle for life, they don't always go down without a fight.

While the Scorpion in the above Video showed how ferocious some BDs can be, in my opinion, it is a ridiculously dangerous & unnecessary example. I also don't think it would digest all that easily ;).

As mentioned, you can find all sorts of Garbage on YouTube or elsewhere on the Net, doesn't make them good plans.

Would I use them as a feeder? No!

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Nicely put Germ. I wont be feeding Spazz anything like that. I dont really care about how it looks. Its fun just watching him chase the crixs around, or going nuts over his greens. He is fun just the way he is and im keeping him that way.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Didn't say anything on the feeding guide from beautiful dragons. Your vid didn't offend or bother me. As a matter of fact, they acted like a pack of wolves to eat that scorpion.

Emmily

Juvenile Dragon
I agree with Blackclaw83! Nicely put. I knew they could be eaten and I figured they would have a hard time digesting smaller lizards. See Noella Germ knows his stuff! haha Just stick to the stuff you know is safe and your beardie will live a long healthy life and you guys can be happy together :) Dont they only survive in the wild for like a couple of years? What is the average life span of a beardie in captivity? I have heard 10 years- 14years

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I intend to. Allie's looking great! She's so healthy now as opposed to when she was sick with pinworms and a bacterial infection. She's grown an inch! Success rules and feeding them right helps. :) I'm sticking to my guns. ;) I've heard of a bearded dragon living past 14 years. I wonder if Allie's going to beat that record. She's been eating right since the day I got her.

Emmily

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah my cleo has been eating healthy since I got her. Took her about a month to get on the greens but now she loves them. I am waiting for her to finish shedding so I can take a recent picture. She doesnt like to be messed with when she is shedding so I leave her be.

Latest posts