• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why Is My Temp So Low?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm currently using this thermometer I got at Canadian Tire. I have a basking lamp/bulb that is a 150 watt and about 16" from the basking spot. The temperature is always around 32*C when it's supposed to be 43*C (110*F). Why is my temperature so low? Could it just be the thermometer? Apparently using a temp gun or a digital thermometer with the little probe thing would be better? Suggestions/answers?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Only one suggestion really as there should be no way that a 150W at 16 inches (unless it's one of those energy saving bulbs) to be only reading 32 C. So the only real problem i see would be the thermo, as you said yourself already an IR temp gun or a digi thermo would give you more accurate measurements.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the tempgun is about 25 bux and honestly it was the best investment i have ever made (relating to reptiles)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah I was really considering to get a temp gun. BUT, if a digital thermometer with the probe thing is equally good, I should get that, because I plan on one day breeding bearded dragons! So It's a 2 in 1 deal type of thing :p

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the temp gun is far easier to use as its point and shoot. So you can use it in multiple vivs to keep an eye on the temps.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to second that the temp gun was a very wise investment for me as well..
Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Then I will invest in that... :p
What kind of stores can I find those? I was shocked when I went to Canadian Tire and found a Mastercraft temp gun for $50, and it was ON SALE. :| It was regular $100!!!! But I haven't checked other stores yet. Sooo.....

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good news! I got a digital thermometer and it gave me the temps I was needing. ;D The basking spot was at 105*F. :)

Latest posts