• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is My Beardie Hanging out in 90degree F area?

mrbeardface

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got my new baby beardie. Its been 7 years since I have had a baby.

I have 3 pieces of driftwood in there that he really likes. I am a little concerned that he has been consistently hanging out in the 90 degrees F areas of the tank on the driftwood (as read by heat gun). He will move around everywhere for short periods but ultimately spends most of his time in those cooler spots. So far hes eating and pooping normally. Could this cause problems in the future?

Tank: 4'x2'x2' Zen Habitat (with wood placed on 2/3 of roof to hold heat in)

My tank lights: 2 heat bulbs (1 150W - w rheostat, 1 100W) on hot side and 36" strip UV bulb on other side - didnt have two for my old beardie but thought baby would want a little more heat

My tank temps: Hot spot 108 degrees F (on top of ramp), 103 degrees F (middle of ramp) - as read by thermometer probe when placed in each spot and left there awhile

I also have a RHP on my cool side ceiling. Thermometer probe reads 88 degrees F in middle of enclosure and 85 degrees F when I put it on the cool end

Temp gun temps: Rock at bottom of hot spot ramp 96 degrees F, most of driftwood around enclosure 90 degrees F, ones under hotspot seem to read around 93 deg F but they are closer than the rock to the heat lamp so idk if thats an accurate reading.

It has crossed my mind that I put the driftwood in there in such a way that he prefers the angles of sitting in the cooler spots rather than the hot spots. I have been hesitant to move things around until he gets settled though...

What do you think? Is my hot spot too hot or is it the driftwood positioning? First pic is better quality but before i added all driftwood. second pic is **** cuz my phone is dead and i tried to take it with my laptop. you can see where he is hanging out in the second pic. I can post another one later when i charge my phone if need be.

I am gonna make a built-in at some point anyway but want to make sure he will be okay in the meantime. My old beardie started in a 40 gallon tank as a baby and always basked on her little platform on the hot side so this is new territory having so much more space for him to choose from.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Photo Nov 28 2023, 12 31 33.jpg
    Photo Nov 28 2023, 12 31 33.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • WIN_20231211_11_21_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231211_11_21_19_Pro.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just got my new baby beardie. Its been 7 years since I have had a baby.

I have 3 pieces of driftwood in there that he really likes. I am a little concerned that he has been consistently hanging out in the 90 degrees F areas of the tank on the driftwood (as read by heat gun). He will move around everywhere for short periods but ultimately spends most of his time in those cooler spots. So far hes eating and pooping normally. Could this cause problems in the future?

Tank: 4'x2'x2' Zen Habitat (with wood placed on 2/3 of roof to hold heat in)

My tank lights: 2 heat bulbs (1 150W - w rheostat, 1 100W) on hot side and 36" strip UV bulb on other side - didnt have two for my old beardie but thought baby would want a little more heat

My tank temps: Hot spot 108 degrees F (on top of ramp), 103 degrees F (middle of ramp) - as read by thermometer probe when placed in each spot and left there awhile

I also have a RHP on my cool side ceiling. Thermometer probe reads 88 degrees F in middle of enclosure and 85 degrees F when I put it on the cool end

Temp gun temps: Rock at bottom of hot spot ramp 96 degrees F, most of driftwood around enclosure 90 degrees F, ones under hotspot seem to read around 93 deg F but they are closer than the rock to the heat lamp so idk if thats an accurate reading.

It has crossed my mind that I put the driftwood in there in such a way that he prefers the angles of sitting in the cooler spots rather than the hot spots. I have been hesitant to move things around until he gets settled though...

What do you think? Is my hot spot too hot or is it the driftwood positioning? First pic is better quality but before i added all driftwood. second pic is **** cuz my phone is dead and i tried to take it with my laptop. you can see where he is hanging out in the second pic. I can post another one later when i charge my phone if need be.

I am gonna make a built-in at some point anyway but want to make sure he will be okay in the meantime. My old beardie started in a 40 gallon tank as a baby and always basked on her little platform on the hot side so this is new territory having so much more space for him to choose from.

Thanks for reading!
Hes going to bask where hes most comfortable--- as long as his food is being digested and hes pooping good I wouldnt worry about him --

Latest posts