• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is my beardie glass surfing??

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone if anyone has an ideas on what might be going on I would be so grateful! My beardie who is now about 5 years old is constantly climbing the glass. His tank is 70 gallons, the temperature on his rock is 95-100° and the other side is about 75°. He has a great diet so I’m unsure what’s going on. We recently relocated him from the basement with no natural light to upstairs by a bright window because I felt he needed that. This was about a month ago and the first 3 weeks he wasn’t glass surfing at all so not sure if the relocation is contributing to it. Something to quote is how he never leaves his cage because anytime I take him out to run around he tries EVERYTHING to get back into his cage and after a minute or 2 he just sleeps under a desk or something until I put him back so I felt bad that it caused him so much stress that I just leave him in there now, should I force him to stay out even tho he just sleeps, gets stressed and doesn’t run around or anything? He has a reptisun T5 10.0 in his cage (possibly to close?) if someone can confirm that its position is good that would be great it’s 11 inches away from his rock. Anyway that’s his deal and if anyone has any comments or ideas for me that would be amazing! I attached a photo of his cage below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone if anyone has an ideas on what might be going on I would be so grateful! My beardie who is now about 5 years old is constantly climbing the glass. His tank is 70 gallons, the temperature on his rock is 95-100° and the other side is about 75°. He has a great diet so I’m unsure what’s going on. We recently relocated him from the basement with no natural light to upstairs by a bright window because I felt he needed that. This was about a month ago and the first 3 weeks he wasn’t glass surfing at all so not sure if the relocation is contributing to it. Something to quote is how he never leaves his cage because anytime I take him out to run around he tries EVERYTHING to get back into his cage and after a minute or 2 he just sleeps under a desk or something until I put him back so I felt bad that it caused him so much stress that I just leave him in there now, should I force him to stay out even tho he just sleeps, gets stressed and doesn’t run around or anything? He has a reptisun T5 10.0 in his cage (possibly to close?) if someone can confirm that its position is good that would be great it’s 11 inches away from his rock. Anyway that’s his deal and if anyone has any comments or ideas for me that would be amazing! I attached a photo of his cage below.
Ok so you have moved him by the window that is good and bad--- if the sun shines on that tank and comes in its going to heat the inside up so make sure the temps in the tank are proper--- ambient hot side 100-- cool side 80ish--- please get the dragon more decor to climb on--- UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches -the 11" should be fine-- how are you getting the surface basking temps? IR guns are not as accurate as the digital probe thermometers -- please get 2 of them one for the cool side as well - the glass surfing could be the tank is too hot if the sun is shining in there - or it could be spring fever coming into play w/ them getting the zoomies like mine does in Jan / Feb drives me crazy--- but you want to make sure the temps are good in the tank --- we need to start ruling things out as far as the glass surfing cause --- if the dragon is not comfortable coming out I wouldnt force it on him -- he needs to adjust anyway as hes now going thru relocation stress from the move -- hes going to like being by the window tho --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so you have moved him by the window that is good and bad--- if the sun shines on that tank and comes in its going to heat the inside up so make sure the temps in the tank are proper--- ambient hot side 100-- cool side 80ish--- please get the dragon more decor to climb on--- UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches -the 11" should be fine-- how are you getting the surface basking temps? IR guns are not as accurate as the digital probe thermometers -- please get 2 of them one for the cool side as well - the glass surfing could be the tank is too hot if the sun is shining in there - or it could be spring fever coming into play w/ them getting the zoomies like mine does in Jan / Feb drives me crazy--- but you want to make sure the temps are good in the tank --- we need to start ruling things out as far as the glass surfing cause --- if the dragon is not comfortable coming out I wouldnt force it on him -- he needs to adjust anyway as hes now going thru relocation stress from the move -- hes going to like being by the window tho --
Appreciate the response! I got a second thermometer it’s the one with the wire and a little stick at the end. The temperatures are perfect. I just added another climbing structure in the middle for extra climbing. He’s still climbing the walls alotttt. His cage is 67 gallon and I have the space and can get him a larger cage if you think that would help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Appreciate the response! I got a second thermometer it’s the one with the wire and a little stick at the end. The temperatures are perfect. I just added another climbing structure in the middle for extra climbing. He’s still climbing the walls alotttt. His cage is 67 gallon and I have the space and can get him a larger cage if you think that would help.
Thats the probe digital thermometer your describing -- it could be hes going thru spring fever they do get that way around this time of year --- a bigger tank like a 120 gallon would be ideal -- I would get him out and let him run for no longer than 2 hrs --- make sure he cant get under stuff you cant get him out of -- see if getting him out helps --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Thats the probe digital thermometer your describing -- it could be hes going thru spring fever they do get that way around this time of year --- a bigger tank like a 120 gallon would be ideal -- I would get him out and let him run for no longer than 2 hrs --- make sure he cant get under stuff you cant get him out of -- see if getting him out helps --
Ok will do! Thank you!

Latest posts