• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why does my beardie hate me ):

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was going to suggest something on the back - maybe magazine pages newspaper just something to block off that view for now--

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
I was going to suggest something on the back - maybe magazine pages newspaper just something to block off that view for now--
the new piece of decor is still on the way but just got some nice contact paper for the walls- he already seems a little more calm! im very hopeful. the BSFL have also been helping over time- i can get my hand near him with no hissing which is a first. i stick my hand in the cage and he looks really excited hoping i have a treat for him. he really does have an adorable personality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
the new piece of decor is still on the way but just got some nice contact paper for the walls- he already seems a little more calm! im very hopeful. the BSFL have also been helping over time- i can get my hand near him with no hissing which is a first. i stick my hand in the cage and he looks really excited hoping i have a treat for him. he really does have an adorable personality
dont mind the weird flooring - my tiles still havent come in so ive been using newspapers but my cleaner threw them away today ! had to use printer paper even though im sure that is not the best ): will fix tomorrow asap

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
oh my gosh i just realized another potential problem!! i am still using an 18 inch T5 UVB bulb - is that too small for this big cage?? We just sized up and its much larger than what he had before.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh my gosh i just realized another potential problem!! i am still using an 18 inch T5 UVB bulb - is that too small for this big cage?? We just sized up and its much larger than what he had before.
Ok a T 5 bulb will not fit into a 18 inch fixture --- are you sure check the bulb I am thinking its the T 8- I had to go back thru this post --- please get your basking decor piece directly under the UVB approx 6-8 inches -- its too high for a T 8

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Ok a T 5 bulb will not fit into a 18 inch fixture --- are you sure check the bulb I am thinking its the T 8- I had to go back thru this post --- please get your basking decor piece directly under the UVB approx 6-8 inches -- its too high for a T 8
I’ll need to check. Another big rock for his tank is in the mail arriving Friday - if its tall enough is a T8 acceptable? I thought T8s were no good.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll need to check. Another big rock for his tank is in the mail arriving Friday - if its tall enough is a T8 acceptable? I thought T8s were no good.
No T 8's are good they just need to be NOT expired and proper distance -- your using the Repitsun brand correct? That is what you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 AND NOT EXPIRED

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’ve had my bearded dragon for a little over four months now, and he still tries to bite my hand everytime I stick it in his cage unless I have a worm in my hand. (In which case he will speedily grab it out of my hand and then run away.) I thought beardies were supposed to be slow, but he is super fast. Whenever I hold him he runs away super fast - one time he even ran inside the radiator which was super scary because it took me around 30 minutes to get him out. He hisses at me and then lunges at my hand in an attempt to bite me whenever I try to touch him, or he runs all around his cage, flailing around and seemingly trying to climb up the glass walls. I thought by now he would be at least a little used to me. Is this normal?? I interact with him every single day, picking him up most days - even though he normally fights me on picking him up. Advice??? He’s starting to get big and I can tell he is a boy now.
Try feeding him new foods diced up small for him out of your hand; that’s how u start bonding. Veggies/greens is a must 2fresh plates a day; cut up small: yellow squash, butternut squash, dandelions, mustard greens, collard greens, snap peas, green beans endives & some red bell peppers. Those are the everyday best ones. Introduce a new one everyday from your hand & then Dive 2-3 of each & place it on a plate on the cold side. Slowly as treats u can introduce fruits/ blueberries they love;) and papayas and mangoes. At his age he needs proteins 4-5 times a day; u need to feed him lots till he stops eating the best is crickets and Dubia roaches; the size u feed should not be bigger than the space between his 2eyes so maybe medium crickets. Amd never feed until he’s been basking for a few hours, they need to be warm and food body temp to eat, then digesting takes 2hoirs under the lights. Try Dubia roaches also they r healthy & they love them; place a bunch in a Slippery reptile bowl u can spray a few sprays of water (filtered of course) and let him eat. Also the crickets should be dusted in calcium powder 3-4 times a week place a bunch in a ziplock bag slice a teeny hole on top of the container and sprinkle the powder & shake till they are lightly powdered; once per day only, 3-4 times a week this slows the crickets down too and buy Herptivite and give that once per week/per day on a non calcium day. Make sure the tank is big Enuff & u are using a clear basking bulb; zoomed is best. Never ever use a colored or coiled bulbs it burns their eyes; and he needs the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. The ength u order should cover 70 prcnt of the tank. Use digital thermometers & hygrometer and place it on the hot side next to his basking platform, those are the most accurate ones.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A T5 is better & gives off more Uvb & is brighter ; but requires a diff holder than the T8, so u need to order that. U can use a basking platform they have nice ones rather than a rock but up to you. I like my beardie to be comfy

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A T5 is better & gives off more Uvb & is brighter ; but requires a diff holder than the T8, so u need to order that. U can use a basking platform they have nice ones rather than a rock but up to you. I like my beardie to be comfy
Pics of the comfy small donut pillows/get a hammock as well they love them.

Attachments

• 2EB749E7-B48D-44F3-A9DA-27859AE37475.jpeg
    2EB749E7-B48D-44F3-A9DA-27859AE37475.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 631C7EE3-12C1-4CE8-9ED0-9A9B8614AAAF.jpeg
    631C7EE3-12C1-4CE8-9ED0-9A9B8614AAAF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Another update: I have covered all sides of the tank with a backdrop, and he now has a very tall rock completely underneath the UVB. I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m really really happy.. he has been SO sweet. The BSFL are definitely helping a LOT - he goes nuts for them, and after i feed him some he will even let me pet his chin! Too cute. He also licks my fingers, hoping there are more treats! The little guy makes me melt. He seems a lot more come and a LOT less scared of me - he lets me get all up in his space and I used to not be able to put my hand in without him hissing. Thank you so so much to everyone for helping me with this. He bit my dad very hard a few weeks ago and my dad was trying to get rid of him!!