• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to measure eye space?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nowhere seems to say, but where do you measure the space between the BD eyes for correct size feeders?

I'm still giving Pogie medium sized crickets as I was scared about impactation.... The medium crics I buy are about 1 - 1.3cm / 3/8 inch - 1/2 inch size.

Just measured on top of her head where the "eye bulges" are and its 2cm / 3/4 (0.78) inch apart. Can I go from medium to large crickets??? Or did I measure the wrong spot?

SNC00480.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the space is 3/4 of an inch, then you can feed 3/4" insects.. just feed a couple, and watch.. if no problems passing poops, then I'd suggest you are all good.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx, then I did measure the correct spot. On top of the head, not from the front or somewhere else.

Have about 50 mediums left, will buy one size bigger when I go to the store again and see how it goes. ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just go slowly... feed, then watch... feed, then watch.. Initially you won't see as many consumed, but if no problems, I feel that that count will increase.

SamTX

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Thanx, then I did measure the correct spot. On top of the head, not from the front or somewhere else.

I think you measured it right.
I'm a newbie here but that is what I would take from reading of "space between the eyes."
Great picture! Notice the inner opening of the mouth is about the same size too. So, I say it's safe to assume it is the BD's max limit for food size. Also it seems to be the lowest (inner) limit of "space between the eye".
However, I would go with the inner limit instead of outer if Pogie is a baby but she's not so outer would still be ok.

Let us know how it turns out!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Notice the inner opening of the mouth is about the same size too.

Ha ha, never noticed that before.... Thanx 4 pointing it out.

Well sadly, I'm still on medium crics LOL, I'm scared shitless she will get impacted, so I'd rather not risk large ones. A wee bit overprotective I thinx.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK. Another question...... Veggies,leaves and soft bodied worms can be larger than the space btwn the eyes. Whats the rule on Superworms? Pogie is 7mnths 3weeks old. Spce btwn eyes 2cm. Just got 5Supers from my cousin. Pogies never had any before. The supers are 4cm long. Can i give it to her?

Latest posts