• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to get "good" crickets in Canada?

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all... So, I am realizing that crickets dont last long...and, they are not too cheap. I am paying $5.99 for 50 of them.... And that lasts about 2 days... maybe..... So, my question is...Is there any reputable place in Canada that I can get crickets from? Total Pet feeds theirs that jello stuff and the other half doesnt want Pancake to injest it.

So, I am wondering if that is going rate or if there is cheaper, better fed crickets out there?

And, what are some tips for breeding them? I am going to put a tank in the garage I think...

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Canada too. You can purchase crickets in bulk, for much much cheaper. Like, I can get 500 crix for $25.

Some tips for breeding them is always keep them warm. Above 80*F is a good breeding temperature, but hotter than about 95*F will kill them. A heat pad would work well. Also, a laying box will be needed, and make sure that the laying box contents is always moist.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info, where abouts do you get your crix from? I dont know enough about what to ask what they are fed to make sure they are nutrient gloated! LOL!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Happy to help! I get my crix from a local reptile shop. The best crix than ANYWHERE I've been to! :p I actually haven't heard of pet stores and gutloading their crix. They're too cheap to! Sorry but you gotta feed them yourself LOL!

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was hoping you had a link to where I could get them shipped from!

The ones from total pet come in a little container with the gel and gutload... So they can live in there for a while and you dont have to feed them all at once, but can buy more than what you need...

I guess I will start searching the net, and get a tank set up in the garage... :)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry that I didn't have a link.. :( I've never ordered online sooo....

And I see why you pay so much for your crix! At Petland they have those... I used to buy from there. The extra money you're spending, is for the gel. Plus, since it comes pre-packaged (I'm assuming yours are pre-packaged?), some crix will be dead. If you buy from a pet store that has all their crix in a big tub, they shake out the egg cartons and at least all your crix will be alive. So, the extra dollar that you pay each time your buy 50, could be going toward veggies and greens to feed your bulk-bought crix (veggies and greens will last you a while), and save you a lot of money in the long run!

Good luck with your cricket breeding! :D

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks... Just waiting for it to warm up a little... then the bug farm begins... took me this long before I would even pick one of the little buggers up lol...

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may want to ping Harley D. She lives in Canada and has helped others find bugs.

Latest posts