• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where should I get my 1st dragon from?

Toy Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
What's up guys, just about finished getting every thing I need for a brand new beardie friend. I was wondering what web site or breeders should I consider buying from, all opinions are welcomed and feel free to add any info on who not to buy from. Although I did some research and just know I won't be buying from any local pet stores, add to that, I will be attending a reptile expo in a couple of weeks so I would love to get your take on these type of events. Oh I forgot to mention, refer breeders that ship to the U.S. Thanks

phoebe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I am new to the beardie game also. I just got mine from a breeder off of faunaclassifieds.com but a lot depends on how much you want to spend or how colorful/unique of a beardie you want. I personally thought Carolina Classic Dragons had some of the best looking dragons but are pricey. I think with expos the breeders bring the lowest quality animal to the shows but I could be wrong as I am not a breeder. As you have stated, stay away from Petco or PetSmart if you can

Toy Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I am new to the beardie game also. I just got mine from a breeder off of faunaclassifieds.com but a lot depends on how much you want to spend or how colorful/unique of a beardie you want. I personally thought Carolina Classic Dragons had some of the best looking dragons but are pricey. I think with expos the breeders bring the lowest quality animal to the shows but I could be wrong as I am not a breeder. As you have stated, stay away from Petco or PetSmart if you can
Thanks for sharing your input, I did come across those Carolina guys so I know what you mean. Not big on color or pattern for starters but just hoping I can get (preferably) him to grow as big as possible. I will be checking out that web site you posted, thanks again and good look with your beardie

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Definitely agree that you should get from a breeder and not a pet store! I have a collection of animals from both sources, and every one from the pet store has needed to go to the vet. Breeder bought animals, even of the same species, have all been perfectly healthy. As far as size, if you feed him well and give him an optimal habitat they will GROW! I fed mine like a hog when he was little because I wanted him as large as possible. I've seen adult beardies half his size full grown because of inadequate care.

I bought my beardie from a breeder online, who no longer breeds them. That was early on in my reptile collection - I have animals from pet stores, online breeders, and bought at reptile shows but I have found the BEST source is if you can find a local breeder who will let you come over and see their facility when you make the purchase. I now know breeders in town, and buy animals from breeders that I have seen their set up. This may not be an option for you, but it's worth checking out!

Sorry for the long winded response, I have a lot of experience and strong opinions on sourcing animals and animal treatment. Good luck!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And just to be fair to Pet Stores (SOME....) Both of mine came from Petco and have both been super healthy and have all of their parts..
So not all are bad but you REALLY need to know what your looking for health wise and spend time watching them don't rush into your decision..
Rescues are great....however I'm not really sure it's a good source for new comers to the beardie world as most dragons (not all) are going to be needing special care for 1 reason or another and that can be very overwhelming..save a rescue for once you have caring for a healthy one under your belt..

Latest posts