• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When am I ready for sand?

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
So, not intended as a sand debate; I just have only owned one dragon, and since he's missing a big chunk of his tail I'm really not sure how to determine when he's big enough for sand to be safe! Everyone says 10", but I have no idea how much tail he is really missing. I'm really looking forward to using sand, but of course don't want to risk his health so I'm hoping someone can tell me about how much longer we need.

If a weight will help let me know and I'll go get a new 9-volt for my scale after work today! Here's a picture of his length. He's about 9" as he is.

556770_10152658643195177_1825795683_n.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm no professional, but my Aussie was in sand when she was about 9". If you have a fabric measuring tape (the type that roll up), you can get a much more accurate length. That, or just take your little buddy out, and lay him on the ruler. 10"+ is most definitely the recommended length, to help ensure there is no impaction. I would get a battery and weigh him regularly regardless. That way, you know if he loses weight, which can be a sign of illness, or parasites. I weigh, and measure, both of my dragons every Monday. Bottom line here; it's totally up to you, the owner, when you start using sand. Personally, I would give it a try now, but watch closely. I haven't had a problem with Aussie at all. Well, not any more of a problem than I've had since I got her. She's just not a "good pooper".

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed with sean8172 she needs to be 10+ inches. Judging by your pick and considering the missing tail tip it appears that she is probably close to the right size now. To be on the safe side you could wait another month or two until she is a full 10 inches for sure even with the missing tail and then you are good to go...That is personally what I would do. Besides what is a couple of extra months when you think about the many years you and your dragon have together ahead of you,right?:)
I'm also really glad Sean mentioned the importance of regularly weighing your dragon. It's an often overlooked part of their care but by keeping record of your dragons weight you will be ahead of the came in catching potential warning signs of problems. These dragons are known for their exceptional ability to mask injury and illnesses and just by visually checking we might not notice the all important hint of problems-Rapid Weight-loss.

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
I have been weighing him post-poo every other week, battery just died this week :) He's growing so fast that an old measurement wouldn't be anywhere near accurate. But for those curious, we weighed in at 3.7oz yesterday! (And he is a confirmed 'he' now, we really weren't sure for the last few weeks. Now that we have a gender, he has an official name - Roland! I'll wait a few more weeks on sand.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have been weighing him post-poo every other week, battery just died this week :) He's growing so fast that an old measurement wouldn't be anywhere near accurate. But for those curious, we weighed in at 3.7oz yesterday! (And he is a confirmed 'he' now, we really weren't sure for the last few weeks. Now that we have a gender, he has an official name - Roland! I'll wait a few more weeks on sand.
It would be better to record his weight in grams tone more accurate and also you will find that most med doses are based on gram weight of your dragon.:D
Good choice on waiting a bit longer on going to sand substrate and Roland is a great name too...Had a really good friend named Roland!!
Enjoy!!

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
I wanted to name him Rowe (My dog is Barsky, and that'd give me the producer and the host of Dirty Jobs!) but my desire to keep all the names in my house two syllables won out. This way I can still call him Ro! He's such a sweetheart, I never thought I could be a reptile person but he is definitely changing my mind.

//edit

And post shed-bath (poor guy still having shed issues, but I'm doing what I can) when he was nice and relaxed I gave him a good measure, and he is exactly nine inches :)

Latest posts