• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wheezing when bringing my beardie out?

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
I’ve had my guy for about 2 months now, I took him out for the first time on Saturday when I gave him a bath, then again today for 10 minutes. I noticed both times that he makes squeaky noises occasionally, especially when he wants to go somewhere but I won’t let him. When I put him back today, he continued making squeaking noises and he was breathing really quickly.

Is this just caused by stress, or could there be a different issue here(like an RI)? He’s around 3 years old. I’m 100% willing to bring him to the vet if necessary, but my parents are a bit iffy on that currently(they’re saying I should just keep an eye on him for a bit). I want some opinions on whether this sounds like something to worry about before pressing for an urgent vet visit(he’ll get a normal vet visit within a couple months regardless btw).

He’s currently in his old setup that we got with him when we adopted him, he’s getting a new larger setup with better lighting and soon.

90x45x60cm/3x1.5x2ft enclosure(exo terra)
21-24C cold side
30-34C basking spot
2 hides
Large cork log for climbing and basking
Large water bowl
Playsand/organic topsoil(no fertilizer, completely natural) substrate
Solar Glo bulb for heat and UVB

He eats daily greens, the occasional blueberry as a treat and an insect staple of dubias and locusts(10-20 insects a week)

TLDR; Beardie makes a wheezing squeaky sound when I bring him out. Is it just stress, or possibly something more sinister? He’s acting completely normal and healthy other than the squeaking.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve had my guy for about 2 months now, I took him out for the first time on Saturday when I gave him a bath, then again today for 10 minutes. I noticed both times that he makes squeaky noises occasionally, especially when he wants to go somewhere but I won’t let him. When I put him back today, he continued making squeaking noises and he was breathing really quickly.

Is this just caused by stress, or could there be a different issue here(like an RI)? He’s around 3 years old. I’m 100% willing to bring him to the vet if necessary, but my parents are a bit iffy on that currently(they’re saying I should just keep an eye on him for a bit). I want some opinions on whether this sounds like something to worry about before pressing for an urgent vet visit(he’ll get a normal vet visit within a couple months regardless btw).

He’s currently in his old setup that we got with him when we adopted him, he’s getting a new larger setup with better lighting and soon.

90x45x60cm/3x1.5x2ft enclosure(exo terra)
21-24C cold side
30-34C basking spot
2 hides
Large cork log for climbing and basking
Large water bowl
Playsand/organic topsoil(no fertilizer, completely natural) substrate
Solar Glo bulb for heat and UVB

He eats daily greens, the occasional blueberry as a treat and an insect staple of dubias and locusts(10-20 insects a week)

TLDR; Beardie makes a wheezing squeaky sound when I bring him out. Is it just stress, or possibly something more sinister? He’s acting completely normal and healthy other than the squeaking.
Did you take him our before the bath or after the bath?
Next it does sound like a RI --- how old is the Solar Glo bulb and do you have it on a screen or sitting above the tank hanging from a stand- what is the humidity in the tank? You have a good UVB for heat not so much UVB rays - if the Solar Glo is on the screen that screen is cutting out 30% of the rays and it should be replaced every 6 months if its over 6 months hes more than likely getting no UVB and this is extremely important for a dragons health --- please get a back up UVB recommended are a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb for a 40 + gallon tank - or a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 T 5 bulb this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up --- certain distance and placement will depend on the screen on the tank this is crucial -- your basking temps of 34 is not warm enough they should be 35-37 this should be surface basking temps 26 for cool side -- this would of caused a RI along w/ improper UVB and please take the water bowl out of the tank --- and then the humidity in the tank will factor in as well --
are you seeing any mucous or discharge coming out of the nose? I would get your straightened out w/ the things I have posted get a appt for a reptile vet and go from there -- the things I have posted along w/ antibiotics will clear the RI up but those must be corrected as well -- you haft to fix the cause along w/ treating

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
Next it does sound like a RI --- how old is the Solar Glo bulb and do you have it on a screen or sitting above the tank hanging from a stand- what is the humidity in the tank? You have a good UVB for heat not so much UVB rays - if the Solar Glo is on the screen that screen is cutting out 30% of the rays and it should be replaced every 6 months if its over 6 months hes more than likely getting no UVB and this is extremely important for a dragons health --- please get a back up UVB recommended are a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb for a 40 + gallon tank - or a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 T 5 bulb this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up --- certain distance and placement will depend on the screen on the tank this is crucial -- your basking temps of 34 is not warm enough they should be 35-37 this should be surface basking temps 26 for cool side -- this would of caused a RI along w/ improper UVB and please take the water bowl out of the tank --- and then the humidity in the tank will factor in as well --
are you seeing any mucous or discharge coming out of the nose? I would get your straightened out w/ the things I have posted get a appt for a reptile vet and go from there -- the things I have posted along w/ antibiotics will clear the RI up but those must be corrected as well -- you haft to fix the cause along w/ treating

I took him out for a bath on Saturday, it was only about 5 minutes long and I supervised the whole time. It was mainly for hydration, but he also pooped in there. The water wasn’t very deep(went halfway up his arm at the highest) and around 28-30C. He went back into his enclosure immediately after, but I heard him start to make the squeaky noises before the bath. Today was no bath, I only took him out and held him for 10 minutes and noticed that the squeaking was still there. I’ve never heard it when he’s in his enclosure, and I hang around him a lot.

His previous owners changed the UVB a couple weeks before we got him, so it’s 2-3 months at this point. He’s definitely getting UVB from it, he’s had it for his whole life according to the other owners and there’s zero signs of MBD.

I don’t have a lot of UVB options available in the stores here, Solar Glo is the only decent one in stores and Arcadia takes a while to get shipped. He’s going to get a 6x2x2 with a 12% T5 Arcadia uvb(covering about 1/2-2/3 of his enclosure) and two basking spots within a couple weeks.

There’s no mucous around his mouth or nose, the only thing out of the ordinary is the occasional squeaky breathing. His poop looks healthy, he’s also not lethargic or anything either.

His humidity stays around 30-40% btw.

buccaneer

Hatchling Dragon
I’ll go see when I can schedule a vet appointment, everyone’s closed rn but I’ll check tomorrow what the earliest time I can get is

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I took him out for a bath on Saturday, it was only about 5 minutes long and I supervised the whole time. It was mainly for hydration, but he also pooped in there. The water wasn’t very deep(went halfway up his arm at the highest) and around 28-30C. He went back into his enclosure immediately after, but I heard him start to make the squeaky noises before the bath. Today was no bath, I only took him out and held him for 10 minutes and noticed that the squeaking was still there. I’ve never heard it when he’s in his enclosure, and I hang around him a lot.

His previous owners changed the UVB a couple weeks before we got him, so it’s 2-3 months at this point. He’s definitely getting UVB from it, he’s had it for his whole life according to the other owners and there’s zero signs of MBD.

I don’t have a lot of UVB options available in the stores here, Solar Glo is the only decent one in stores and Arcadia takes a while to get shipped. He’s going to get a 6x2x2 with a 12% T5 Arcadia uvb(covering about 1/2-2/3 of his enclosure) and two basking spots within a couple weeks.

There’s no mucous around his mouth or nose, the only thing out of the ordinary is the occasional squeaky breathing. His poop looks healthy, he’s also not lethargic or anything either.

His humidity stays around 30-40% btw.
Humidity if fine -- get the UVB as soon as you can --- you need the basking temps up as I posted and that UVB for him not to get any worse ---

Latest posts