• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whats wrong with my dragon???

Amy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a dragon whos about 3 months old, he eats crickets and a little bit of fruits and veggies, but got over fed a few days ago. He hasnt pooped or moved in two days. All he does is open his mouth and looks like he's throwing up. We have been dropping water in to his mouth to keep him hydrated will he be ok???????

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What was it over fed with? What part of the tank is it spending it's time in? Is it basking? What are the temps? What type of substrate? Has it puked anything up? Pics? Have you given Warm soaks?

Amy

Bearded Dragon Egg
He was over fed with crickets, he was spending time in his hole under his tree, but I put him up on top of his tree, so he could be under the light, I heard this will help him, the temp in the tank is around 75, no he hasnt puked ne thing up, and no I havent tryed warm soaks. We are new at having one of these and dont want the kids to lose there dragon, I just moved him to his log away from the light because he's not moved himself and didnt want him to get to hot up there

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is the temperature of at his basking spot? Pictures of the setup & dragon Please? In order to help we have to know the situation, we have no idea of what type of tree you are talking about. Basking temp should be around 110F, coolest area of the enclosure should be 80-85F during the day. What size is the enclosure. Again pictures are a big help. Are you providing UVB & if so what brand & strength is the bulb? Lots of questions, but have to be answered. It needs the heat in order to digest it's food properly. What size crickets is it being fed?

Amy

Bearded Dragon Egg
The temp in the tank says 80 and it never goes ne higher, his basking light is 60 watts and its right above his tree, we bought the whole set up in a kit from petsmart, its a 20 gallon tank, we are feeding him medium sized crickets
set

Attachments

• misc 2012 046.JPG
    misc 2012 046.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • misc 2012 047.JPG
    misc 2012 047.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That doesn't look like a 20 gallon. It looks like a 10. He may not be able to get out of the heat and cool off enough, that thermometer measures the temp of the glass, not the temp of the actual enclosure. Best thing would be to get a digital thermometer and take the temp where the basking light hits the environment. Are you using a UVB bulb as well as UVA? Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank? They really need to be in a 20 long. Both lights need to be on the same side, and we need the temp from the actual basking spot, not the ambient temp of the enclosure. If that thing is accurate, you have too much humidity in there! Take out the water dish asap. Try a warm soak, and is he making noises? Is he puffing out his throat? If he is trying to hide directly after eating too much it could be as simple as brumation, but not likely at this time of year. Do you have an age or apx age for your dragon, and a positive sex?

Amy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well hes dead now, dont know what happened, the humidity changed all the time and thats the smallest water dish they sold, we where new to this, so we will just try again with a new one. If that tanks to small then why do they sell it like that then???? He was doing fine till he got over fed, and im assuming its a male, i really dont know

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Amy, I'm so sorry. This forum has a lot of great information about the necessities of the beardies. Unfortunately, the chain petstores really do not know much about the exotic animals and they often give bad information.

Amy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, I guess they do was waiting to take him to the vet, but they dont open till 5 and its hard to find one that cares for reptiles, my kids will be so sad when they get home and so will my hubby because it was his x-mas present.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear the sad news.

Prior to acquiring another, please do much more research. The enclosure was too small, temperatures were wrong & not taken in the right places, lighting was wrong, no UVB was provided, etc, etc. Brumation wouldn't have been an option at that age, humidity wasn't good. Poor little guy didn't have much of a chance to start with. Here are a couple of good places to start ...

Bearded Dragon Basic Care Guide
Color Coded Nutrition List

Pet Stores are notorious for providing mis-information. Very few employees are species specific knowledgeable & quite often are there only to make the sale. Many products claiming to be BD safe by the manufacturers are in real life not & can be quite dangerous to the animals. This is not a suitable habitat & setup for a BD.

ZillaDesert10.jpg

Once again sorry for your loss.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no! Poor thing :( Now I wish I had gotten up earlier. I was up all night waiting for a hatchling to emerge. Chain pet stores are notorious for selling kits that have things in it that are generally dangerous for your bearded dragon. If the dragon ingested some of that fake plant it could cause choking problems, or blockage in the digestive tract. They aren't required to have a water dish in their tanks so long as they're bathed 1-2 times a week. Granted, I am no where near a vet, I've just had a lot of hits and misses on my own from trying to learn how to care for these little guys correctly. It seems that the pet stores often are just concerned with selling and not proper information. If the humidity levels on that gauge were constantly fluctuating, it probably wasn't accurate anyway. Take a look at the basic care guide on this forum in the general section. My condolences for your bearded dragon, and I hope the children understand.

Latest posts