• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's wrong with my beardie's poop (pics)?

ameade21

Bearded Dragon Egg
Spyro is 6 months old. He lives in a 40 gallon breeder tank with reptile carpet. The lighting fixtures for his tank are the following: Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO lamp for UVB and a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Bulb (75 watt). At nighttime, I turn on a ceramic heater, since it gets cold at night (from the Midwest). The UVB is tube-shaped and sits on top of the mesh screen of the tank.

The basking spot gets to be around 110 F degrees. And the cool spot is around 75 F - 77 F degrees during the day. At night, the ceramic heater keeps the cage around 84 F - 88 F degrees. His lights turn on at 9:30am and go off at 10:30pm.

His main protein is crickets. I offer him leafy greens every few days and mist him down once a day. He gets a bath maybe two times a week to stay hydrated (since he refuses to drink any water). His food is also dusted in calcium every 2 days. I always make sure that he sits under his basking light for two hours after eating to digest. So, he doesn't eat late at night.

For the past month, his poops have been mushy and very smelly. It will stink up the entire floor sometimes. His fecal test and bloodwork in August were clean. Is it possible that he has a parasite? He hasn't come into contact with any other reptiles since I've owned him. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68

ameade21

Bearded Dragon Egg
The T 5 since its on top of screen it should be 6-8 inches from his basking spot -- the screen filters out 30% of the UVB and no cover on the bulb meaning its exposed ---- second crickets tend to give parasites --- so I would suggest since you said the smell is enough to make you leave the room is a sure sign of parasites --- I would suggest you switch over to dubia roaches ---- here is some websites for those
www.dubiaroaches.com ----https://abdragons.com/login.php-- https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ another good staple feeder is BSFL -- here is where you can get them from
https://symtonbsf.com/
Its good your not exposting him to other dragons --- that is not a good thing to do since you never know when on is sick till the last moment and sometimes too late --- I would call the vet and take a sample in drop it off and have it tested again -- but the UVB needs to be in the proper place as well -- you got a good UVB

The UVB is around 6 inches from the basketing spot. But yeah, it sounds like parasites. I'd love to get him off of crickets. But he's a picky boy. I've tried introducing dubia roaches but he's not a fan. I'll have to try BSFL. Thanks!

Latest posts