• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's wrong with my beardie?!

diothedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the past few months, my bearded dragon's appetite has been very poor. We took him to the vet to discover he had some pinworms and he was treated for them, but that did not solve the problem. The vet also suspects metabolic bone disease, but we give him plenty of calcium, his UVBs are all new, and his temps are correct. He also shows no physical signs of MBD either. We have been feeding him Fluker's Repta Boost every day, usually twice, for about a month. He doesn't appear to have lost weight, but he isn't growing either (No shedding for almost 4 months). He still basks, but not nearly for as often or long. Usually after we take him out to feed him, we put him directly on his basking spot (the hammock) and he usually stays for around 15 minutes and then jumps over to the log on the cool side and will sit in the same spot for hours. He also darkens a lot while he is over there too.

Here is some information on him and his setting:
40 gallon 36x18 tank
the long light in the back is brand new Reptisun 10.0 T5
the other long light in front of it is the T8, it is older but we keep it there so his tank isn't as dark
his basking light is the solar glow light that supposedly has UVB in it. It is 125w and the temperature according to the digital thermometer is typically around 105
the temperature of the cool side is around 75-80
the vet suspects that he is actually a female, but we have seen no signs of egg laying any time soon
he is only 10-11 months old
the reason there is no water currently is because we were trying to get the humidity to lower because that was the only thing I read online that didn't seem to be up to the standard. However, we do give him water through a syringe and he also gets regular baths
his diet when he used to eat was primarily crickets and superworms (I realize now that he should not have superworms as frequently), but also mealworms, calciworms, and of course a variety of greens and veggies. I live in Florida and cannot purchase dubias.

The reason why I suspect that something is wrong with his enclosure is because he seems happier when we take him out. He turns a lighter color and some times is more active. His activity level overall has fluctuated a lot both in and out of his terrarium. Sometimes he is active and likes to run around and play, other times he will lay on or under his log all day.

Lastly, the most odd thing that has occurred recently is that my boyfriend (also the co owner of the beardie) had a radio ear piece attached to a wire on his uniform coming home from work. I forgot to take a picture but it is black and about two inches long. It was dangling down from his shirt while he was standing in front of the beardie's tank, and our beardie started freaking out like it was food! he followed it with his eyes and stuck his tongue out to try to eat it, which he has not done in sooooo long. So we immediately put some crickets and worms in front of him, and he just acted like they weren't even there. He examined them for a few seconds and then ran off, completely ignoring them. So now he is showing signs that he is hungry and wants to eat a random object, but rejects live bugs?! Sorry that this was so long, I didn't want to leave out any details. If you have any information or possible solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG-7052.jpg
    IMG-7052.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG-7051.jpg
    IMG-7051.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG-7050.jpg
    IMG-7050.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG-7049.jpg
    IMG-7049.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-7048.jpg
    IMG-7048.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the past few months, my bearded dragon's appetite has been very poor. We took him to the vet to discover he had some pinworms and he was treated for them, but that did not solve the problem. The vet also suspects metabolic bone disease, but we give him plenty of calcium, his UVBs are all new, and his temps are correct. He also shows no physical signs of MBD either. We have been feeding him Fluker's Repta Boost every day, usually twice, for about a month. He doesn't appear to have lost weight, but he isn't growing either (No shedding for almost 4 months). He still basks, but not nearly for as often or long. Usually after we take him out to feed him, we put him directly on his basking spot (the hammock) and he usually stays for around 15 minutes and then jumps over to the log on the cool side and will sit in the same spot for hours. He also darkens a lot while he is over there too.

Here is some information on him and his setting:
40 gallon 36x18 tank
the long light in the back is brand new Reptisun 10.0 T5
the other long light in front of it is the T8, it is older but we keep it there so his tank isn't as dark
his basking light is the solar glow light that supposedly has UVB in it. It is 125w and the temperature according to the digital thermometer is typically around 105
the temperature of the cool side is around 75-80
the vet suspects that he is actually a female, but we have seen no signs of egg laying any time soon
he is only 10-11 months old
the reason there is no water currently is because we were trying to get the humidity to lower because that was the only thing I read online that didn't seem to be up to the standard. However, we do give him water through a syringe and he also gets regular baths
his diet when he used to eat was primarily crickets and superworms (I realize now that he should not have superworms as frequently), but also mealworms, calciworms, and of course a variety of greens and veggies. I live in Florida and cannot purchase dubias.

The reason why I suspect that something is wrong with his enclosure is because he seems happier when we take him out. He turns a lighter color and some times is more active. His activity level overall has fluctuated a lot both in and out of his terrarium. Sometimes he is active and likes to run around and play, other times he will lay on or under his log all day.

Lastly, the most odd thing that has occurred recently is that my boyfriend (also the co owner of the beardie) had a radio ear piece attached to a wire on his uniform coming home from work. I forgot to take a picture but it is black and about two inches long. It was dangling down from his shirt while he was standing in front of the beardie's tank, and our beardie started freaking out like it was food! he followed it with his eyes and stuck his tongue out to try to eat it, which he has not done in sooooo long. So we immediately put some crickets and worms in front of him, and he just acted like they weren't even there. He examined them for a few seconds and then ran off, completely ignoring them. So now he is showing signs that he is hungry and wants to eat a random object, but rejects live bugs?! Sorry that this was so long, I didn't want to leave out any details. If you have any information or possible solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.
So I would try this --- get rid of the Solor Glo and replace w/ a bright white basking bulb - start w/ a 100 watt bulb make sure your getting temps w / a digital probe thermometer -- if your getting temps w/ a IR gun off the hammock its incorrect --- hammocks throw IR guns off - you need to use the probe-- you only need 1 good UVB that would be the T 5 and it looks like you have it not obstructed--- correct? You need to get a piece of decor directly under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- if your using 3 UVB's that is too much - try that and see if his appetite changes -- please dont feed him anymore meal worms - they can impact them from the exoskeleton --- stick w/ calci worms super worms and crickets I would try and get some silk worms they are a great staple feeder- you can get discoid roaches in FLA -- https://www.thecritterdepot.com/products/discoid-roaches-for-sale
keep up your salads and rinse them before serving --- he will get moisture thru them along w/ gut loading the insects - watch his poops they will tell you if hes dehydrated --- the urate will be dried out chalky looking -- humidity in the tank can go as high as 70% --- how are you measuring the humidity? If you are still having an issue w/ it going over 70% get a dehumidifier--- if your humidity in the tank is between 30-65 or so % it is fine--

Latest posts