• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to expect during brumation

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all. I have had my beardie a little over a year now. He is about 16 months old so I'm guessing he will be starting to brumate this year sometime over the next few months. Just trying to get some ideas and advice on what to expect? I usually take him to school with me as our class pet. Is it ok to still take him back and forth, or should I let him rest? Is it ok to wake him to feed, or should I wait for him to wake up on his own? Any other advice is gladly welcome.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Brumation is different for every dragon. Since brumation shows the same signs of some illnesses, it's best to get a fecal done and a vet check just to make sure that he's healthy.

With my dragons, they kinda got sleepy and played around in their hide but never went fully to sleep. It wasn't until they were about 3 1/2, 4 years old that they actually went in their hides for weeks at a time. They like to go in for a few weeks, come out and bask and maybe eat and then go back into their hides for a few weeks again. Some people have dragons that go down for months at a time.

You really want them to do their own thing and don't interrupt them. So if he does go into brumation, leave him at home until he is truly awake again.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto what Patsy said..and if you check out the links below several of our comments we have put together a ton of info and we've done a section on brumation.. You just need to let them do what comes naturally to them, but make sure that you get a fecal done to make sure they don't have parasites and they are healthy going into this...leave some greens in there in case they do come out and want to eat it's there, and if they eat make sure they bask and eliminate before going back down as you don't want food to sit in their gut for long periods..

I would leave him at home until he's back up again.

Londo Mollari

Bearded Dragon Egg
Londo is sleeping under his log but has no light on. Just a humidifier. No noise seems to wake him up. He just started brumating and this is the last week of summer in canada.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Londo is sleeping under his log but has no light on. Just a humidifier. No noise seems to wake him up. He just started brumating and this is the last week of summer in canada.

Make sure the humidifier isn't raising the humidity too much. They only need like 40% humidity.

Latest posts