• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what size and amount of crickets????

bev33

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys, looking for your much valued advice as usual! Dexter is nearly 5 months old and has size 3 (or 3rd size as i have heard them be called) crickets, over the past few days his appetite is growing and he can eat 15 crickets in 2 mins. i do this 3 times a day. could someone tell me if i am feeding him too much? he eats a bit of veggies but nothing major. or maybe i need to go up a size? he eats them super fast!!!!! he poops each morning like clockwork!

Thankyou guys, oh also, i changed the flooring from sand to rough tile last week, yesterday and today i have found him climbig on the cage of the heat lamp and on the top of the fake bush hanging at the back, he was at the very top of the vivarium! is he just being a typical young beardie or have i done something wrong?

Bev xx
1 husband, 4 children, 7 fish, 3 hamsters, 2 dogs, one tortoise and 1 bearded dragon!!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sounds like his prey size is fine for him.

He should be eating as much as he can in 15 minutes. As long as he's doing that.........you're right on track!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Bev. Young dragons have very hearty appetites. Your dragon is eating just fine. The general rule of thumb is to let them eat as many crickets as they want in a 10 minute period. And the crickets should be no larger than the space between your dragon's eyes. Some youngsters can eat at many as 100 crickets in one day. They have a lot of growing to do.

It sounds like your beardie is a climber. Nothing unusual about that.

bev33

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks guys as always :) :) :)

i tried as many as he can eat in 15 minutes and he ate 30!!!!!! is that right? If so, im going to have to buy my crickests in larger amounts, what do you keep them in? i have a cricket keeper and i use my sons bug vaccuum to suck them out, dexter knows when he sees the vaccuum its dinner time and scrapes at the glass until i open it!! my husband hates the cricket thing so me and my son keep then under the stairs out of sight, lol, but i think i will need something bigger to keep them in? ??? ??? ??? ???

Bev xxx

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
large cricket keepers work or a big rubbermaid container will work. and yeah babies normally consume 40-100 appropriately sized crix in a day.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
bev33 said:
thanks guys as always :) :) :)

i tried as many as he can eat in 15 minutes and he ate 30!!!!!! is that right?

Bev xxx

That is awesome! His appetite is very healthy. This is a great sign.

bev33

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Me again! what would i do without this site! lol

Im not sure if i should be going to size 2 crickets, the size 3 are small and he literally is eating them one after the other, i put in 20 crickets 10 mins ago and they were gone within minutes! he doesnt look like he is having to chew them at all!! i know its the space between the eyes to judge the size and i have only ever seen size 2 crickets once....this is very confusing!!

Bev x

robbed18

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Little nibbler is 5 months too, and i got through about 2 boxes of crickets a week, he eats about 15-20 a day and he is on 3rd size and he is completely healthy, so no your not doing anything wrong, also trying giving him a wax worm aswell, these should only be used as treats, mine gets one about every 2-3 days as they are very fatty, but he seems too love them more than crickets hehe.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. I feed mine in a plastic shoe box, but then I feed Dubia roaches.. Not crickets ;).
If you don't get them all out, they can actually chew on a sleeping dragon, leaving nasty wounds that get infected.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep. My hubby chased the crickets down after 15 minutes. Watch out, they can hide in the most obscure places.

Latest posts