• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I got my baby bearded dragon at Petco Friday night. He tends to bask daily, sleeps well (I think!) and likes being held. I am at work from 7:40 AM - 3:20 PM Monday-Friday. I am wondering what I should do to feed him while I’m gone.. I don’t want him to starve but I don’t feel comfortable leaving crickets or superworms in his tank. He sometimes eats commercial feed, not often. He doesn’t eat chopped celery either. He got used to his water bowl though! He eats 2-3 crickets on WORKDAYS. He does good when I am here all day for some reason. What do I do on weekdays to feed him?

Also, how do I get him to eat crickets more often?

Thank you, I look forward to a reponse.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You need to feed him crickets or dubia roaches as a staple, superworms are a treat. Greens too or he won't eat them when he's older. (collard, mustard, carrots, blueberries, red pepper all things i use.)

I despise crickets too I make my sister feed them to my beardie. Real insects are always better than that stuff in the bottles with the dead mealworms. I recommend dubias because they just crawl and don't fly. Make sure you're gut loading the bugs you feed to your lizard with the same greens you feed him.

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you.

I don’t feed superworms to him as often as crickets as you said.

He won’t eat the celery, what do I do? I know he needs to eat them when he gets older..

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
As far as getting your bearded dragon to eat more crickets, he may just be tired of them and wants something else for a change. Try the feeders I told you in the post above :) Good luck!

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thank you.

I don’t feed superworms to him as often as crickets as you said.

He won’t eat the celery, what do I do? I know he needs to eat them when he gets older..
Try collard greens and mustard greens. They are the most common you can find them at any grocery store and they are good for your bearded dragon and insects too! I've also heard kale is a great staple but i've never tried it.

Your dragon will probably refuse for a little eating greens. Try putting your bugs on top of the salad to maybe get him to accidentally eat the salad or get excited by it. Some people also wiggle the salad with their fingers but this does not work for my dragon... they are just picky eaters lol.

(sorry edited this post because I forgot you had a baby on your hands lol.)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get some BSFL they are a great staple feeder -- you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so they cant get out --- you can use small super worms to lure him to the bowl and I would also feed dubia roaches as a another staple feeder -- do not dust the BSFL and order large as they are small ---- I would feed him his salads and BSFL first thing in the morning they make great salad toppers -- then before you leave for work add some dubia roaches in that bowl like 10-12 --- make sure they are no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- his lights need to be on an hr before feeding -- and he should be offered insects again in the afternoon -- do not feed right before lights out they need at least 2 hrs before lights go off
you can order from here
www.dubiaroaches.com the BSFL are called nutri grubs get large
www.symptonbsf.com --
you will need a dish like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition please NO more celery as a staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Use the small super worms and BSFL to lure him to the salad bowl use 1-3 and as many as BSFL as you want --- but I would supplement the BSFL w/ dubias so you know hes getting enough to eat -- the dubias will fill him up along w/ those worms --- there are other worms you can feed as well ---- NO meal worms they are too harsh on stomachs-- there are other sites I can post for worms etc if you want let me know

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,

I got my baby bearded dragon at Petco Friday night. He tends to bask daily, sleeps well (I think!) and likes being held. I am at work from 7:40 AM - 3:20 PM Monday-Friday. I am wondering what I should do to feed him while I’m gone.. I don’t want him to starve but I don’t feel comfortable leaving crickets or superworms in his tank. He sometimes eats commercial feed, not often. He doesn’t eat chopped celery either. He got used to his water bowl though! He eats 2-3 crickets on WORKDAYS. He does good when I am here all day for some reason. What do I do on weekdays to feed him?

Also, how do I get him to eat crickets more often?

Thank you, I look forward to a reponse.
If it’s doable switch his schedule a little bit, they are suppose to be an a 12 hr day and night cycle. So if you have a timer on your outlet you can turn have the lights turn on later in the day. Let’s say you have his lights 12pm - 12am, that means that when you get back from work he’s only been without food for 3 hours and have until 10pm to feed him (beardies shouldn’t be feed 2 hours or less before bed time, my give them digestive issues). One girl her I believe has her beardie lights on from 1am to 1pm and he’s doing fine. As long as it’s 12 hours the won’t know the difference. If you are going to do this I suggest slowly transitioning him, so everyday have the lights turn on half hour later than the day before. The reason why he may not be eating is because of relocation stress and he may just need a week or so to get used to his new home. What I found that helped with my beardie when he was a baby is feeding him in a bowl, I’d throw about 15 crickets in there at a time with him until he’s full. With veggies that a tricky one, every beardie is different, I know plenty of baby beardies that ate greens, mine I swear dry heaved when I put a piece of collard greens in his mouth and didn’t touch his veggies until he was 7 months. Again even though they are some what domesticated they are still very wild and many will eventually start eating their greens when they are older out of instinct. So try with a salad, always some sort of leafy green or something but if you see he has no interest in his salad and refuses to even look at it. No need to stress or worry about it try again when he’s a month older and see what happens. When he does finally start eating greens that’s when you start leaving it out daily. This is what happened to my Starbucks. Here is a link to a beardie diet website, it has tons of info about which veggie is healthy and how often you can give it to them. And good luck with your little one

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
I’ve noticed small sheds on his tail, looked it up and said it is normal to lose an appetite.

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Yes. I have been offering food. I was getting worried until I heard it was normal. Thank you!

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Feed your veggies in a morning before you leave for work and give plenty of bugs on a evening, get into the routine and your beardie will be buzzing to see you when your home because he will know it’s time for bugs.

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Kale everyday with one of the others mix it up now and again
Pepper
Butternut squash
Carrot
Mint leaves once a week
Parsley once a week
Sweet potato once a week

Fruits should comprise the smallest portion of your beardie's diet but do include them
Blueberries
Grapes
Banana
Apple
Plum
Peaches

you can also put in a few worms to attract to his veggies

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If he is willing to eat it, you can leave some reputable premix food such as Repashy Grub Pie for him in a dish. He'll be able to munch on it if he gets hungry while you're gone. Provide a small amount of the grub pie in one dish and some wormy feeders in another (mainly BSFL, silkworms, or small hornworms). Since you won't be there to offer more bugs if he is still hungry, it's good to have the Repashy as backup.

Latest posts