• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what sand is best for them

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally wouldnt use Sand. It can lead to impaction as well as other problems. One of my own dragons lost a finger and has no nails on her front feet and shortened fingers thry digging in sand. She was digging so much it basically buffed them away, just like a bit of sand paper woud do. I use porridge oats. If they do eat it they can digest it easily, and this was recommended to us by a local reptile expert & breader, all 6 of my dragons are fine with it and can dig till the cows come home without getting hurt. Everyone is different tho, this is just my own personal opinion & preference. :)

Survivor13

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would recomend childrens play sand, the kind which is specially washed, filtered and screened for safe play in kids sandpits etc. It was recomended to me by a reptile expert and iv seen it recomended on many reptile forums by experienced dragon owners. I have had no problems with it and i 'seive' the sand every week in the viv which gets rid of all the 'bits'......i.e old bits of food, crickets legs etc lol so keeps the dragons environment cleaner at the end of the day, its affordable and easy to top up when needed and when you do a spring clean and totally replace the subtrate it wont break the bank either as a large bag is only 2,99 from argos or toyshops etc.......hope this helps and as the last poster said, its individual preference really, whatever you and your dragon are happy with............

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would agree with Dragonsx6. I wouldn't consider using sand myself (IMO). Definately don't put babies on sand because of impaction. Remember that crickets with run round and get covered in sand. I use papertowel, easy to clean and no chance of impaction. when l go shopping next, l am going to pick up some ceramic tiles.