• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is he/she doing?? Should I be concerned??

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! I have a 6 month old beardie who I’ve had since he/she was a month old. I just recently moved from Colorado to Atlanta this past weekend (I say that because I’m not sure if it could have anything to do with this issue or not) and today my beardie started looking like he was gagging and about to throw up, beard puffing to max, opening his mouth as wide as he could and seeming to gag with his throat motions. I heard no noise and nothing came up, he didn’t expel anything. It’s been about a week/week and a half since he had a soak because of the move so I immediately googled and found dehydration as a possible cause, so I got him to a bath and he did drink with FEROCITY. But it’s been about two hours and he just did it again?? Could it be just a leftover effect from dehydration or is there something more serious here? I took some videos for you guys. Other than that motion, he’s been acting normal, no lethargy and normal movement/reaction time, and he ate his super worms just fine last night. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
it wouldn’t let me upload my video, but this is what he’s doing minus the fluid coming out.

Lucie K

Bearded Dragon Egg
He usually eats greens (collard greens, mustard greens, parsley and kale are our favorites) every other day and about 20-30 crickets twice a week. The super worms were a treat for the travel stress. He was not running or anything, completely normal behavior other than the choking. And I gave him water after I saw him do this, so it wouldn’t have been from him drinking too fast. He appears to be fine now, I was just worried I would wake up to a dead dragon but he seems good!
Slow him down on his drinking the water- he drank too fast - you need to give him water more frequently- either bath syringe or dropping water on his nose- it looked like had got something caught in his throat- was he out running around when he started the behavior- they lick and eat anything-- what is his diet? His diet should consist of greens collards mustard turnip and kale-- squash yellow zuccinni butternut shredded- green beans - a little fruit no citrus once a week- and a staple feeder like crickets dubias or bsfl-- super worms are not a staple--