• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is going on with our adult bearded dragon?

COKim

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our 3 year old George was adopted by us from my brother in August 2020, who bought him as a baby. He did really well with the relocation to our house and never really seemed to go through any major stress period because he kept eating as usual and was very active with us after getting here. After a lot of care research, we made some changes to his diet, adding healthier and more assorted veggies (my brother was told cabbage was fine to feed him regularly). I started making salads every morning and he ate 5-7 Dubai roaches (depending on size) a day. With new diet he still always gobbled up all his food.

In mid October he started acting strange, with a few gagging motions a couple of yawns and once in a while clicking noise (no excess mucus discharge or bubbles from nose or mouth). After looking up his symptoms I thought he might have the start of a respiratory infection. I took him to a reptile vet and they agreed that they thought the same. We started him with antibiotic injections every 3 days over 4 weeks. Vet told me a number of things mixed together could have contributed to his RI 1) wild fire smoke in the air, 2)dryer region of CO vs WI, 3) type of substrate, 4) a few days low temps (85-90 hot side, due to house temps changing and waiting for a new ceramic heat bulb order to arrive) and 5) his recent shed. Because of vet recommendation we changed the sand substrate (what my brother was originally told to use and I didn’t know any different) to repticarpet. I also did more habitat research and added a hammock (which he loves), and a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 high output hooded unit (on top of screen) because I didn’t think his 100W UVB/UVA mercury vapor bulb was enough. Half way through the injections time frame he started eating only half his vegetables. Vet said it sometimes happens during antibiotic treatment that they are not as hungry or active. He was still having normal bowel movements and eating usual # of roaches. After treatment completed, he had zero RI symptoms and was back to normal activity level, but he was still only eating half his salad. The vet said, “He might be getting picky or stubborn and training me for only feeding roaches, so reduce number of roaches by half and he will start eating more salad again.” Did that, and after a couple days it seemed to work. Kept his roach # down for a few days to be sure. So, with him back to being a good boy eating his veggies, I started putting him back to usual # of roaches. A couple weeks later, he started eating less and less veggies, then completely stopped last week of December. He also got really lazy/sleepy most of the day. I was thinking maybe because of the shorter days he was starting to slow down to brumate. However, because he had just gotten over an RI a month prior and I wasn’t able to afford having a vet run bloodwork and such to see if he was healthy enough, I didn’t feel it a good idea to brumate. He was still active and curious whenever he is out of his cage and during bath time. When he stopped eating all of his salad, I tried switching variety of veggies and doing the roach reducing again with no success. I tricked him a couple of times to eat a few veggies, but definitely not enough to make me comfortable. He still wants roaches and comes running to his feeding place when I bring out the roach cage. His HI, LOW and Night temps show correct. For lighting I have the basking light and reptisun tube lamp. I unfortunately just read last night on here that red lights are bad (never had it on at night only for extra heat when needed during day), so I switched it out with a white one. I’ve also tried sprinkling bee pollen on his veggies, putting the roaches under the salad. Nothing is working. He used to always eat veggies from hand then out of his bowl. Now neither. He still looks sleepy through most of the day and hides under his hammock some of that time. And comes running and excited when I bring out the roach cage. He has bowel movements every 2-3 days now (because no veggies). Is he trying to brumate and is it safe for him? My brother said he had never gone more than a couple of weeks of sleepy/no eat time. I’m lost in what’s going on or what to do. Nothing is truly clear online so it’s making me paranoid.
Sorry for the book, but I wanted to try to cover everything.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Our 3 year old George was adopted by us from my brother in August 2020, who bought him as a baby. He did really well with the relocation to our house and never really seemed to go through any major stress period because he kept eating as usual and was very active with us after getting here. After a lot of care research, we made some changes to his diet, adding healthier and more assorted veggies (my brother was told cabbage was fine to feed him regularly). I started making salads every morning and he ate 5-7 Dubai roaches (depending on size) a day. With new diet he still always gobbled up all his food.

In mid October he started acting strange, with a few gagging motions a couple of yawns and once in a while clicking noise (no excess mucus discharge or bubbles from nose or mouth). After looking up his symptoms I thought he might have the start of a respiratory infection. I took him to a reptile vet and they agreed that they thought the same. We started him with antibiotic injections every 3 days over 4 weeks. Vet told me a number of things mixed together could have contributed to his RI 1) wild fire smoke in the air, 2)dryer region of CO vs WI, 3) type of substrate, 4) a few days low temps (85-90 hot side, due to house temps changing and waiting for a new ceramic heat bulb order to arrive) and 5) his recent shed. Because of vet recommendation we changed the sand substrate (what my brother was originally told to use and I didn’t know any different) to repticarpet. I also did more habitat research and added a hammock (which he loves), and a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 high output hooded unit (on top of screen) because I didn’t think his 100W UVB/UVA mercury vapor bulb was enough. Half way through the injections time frame he started eating only half his vegetables. Vet said it sometimes happens during antibiotic treatment that they are not as hungry or active. He was still having normal bowel movements and eating usual # of roaches. After treatment completed, he had zero RI symptoms and was back to normal activity level, but he was still only eating half his salad. The vet said, “He might be getting picky or stubborn and training me for only feeding roaches, so reduce number of roaches by half and he will start eating more salad again.” Did that, and after a couple days it seemed to work. Kept his roach # down for a few days to be sure. So, with him back to being a good boy eating his veggies, I started putting him back to usual # of roaches. A couple weeks later, he started eating less and less veggies, then completely stopped last week of December. He also got really lazy/sleepy most of the day. I was thinking maybe because of the shorter days he was starting to slow down to brumate. However, because he had just gotten over an RI a month prior and I wasn’t able to afford having a vet run bloodwork and such to see if he was healthy enough, I didn’t feel it a good idea to brumate. He was still active and curious whenever he is out of his cage and during bath time. When he stopped eating all of his salad, I tried switching variety of veggies and doing the roach reducing again with no success. I tricked him a couple of times to eat a few veggies, but definitely not enough to make me comfortable. He still wants roaches and comes running to his feeding place when I bring out the roach cage. His HI, LOW and Night temps show correct. For lighting I have the basking light and reptisun tube lamp. I unfortunately just read last night on here that red lights are bad (never had it on at night only for extra heat when needed during day), so I switched it out with a white one. I’ve also tried sprinkling bee pollen on his veggies, putting the roaches under the salad. Nothing is working. He used to always eat veggies from hand then out of his bowl. Now neither. He still looks sleepy through most of the day and hides under his hammock some of that time. And comes running and excited when I bring out the roach cage. He has bowel movements every 2-3 days now (because no veggies). Is he trying to brumate and is it safe for him? My brother said he had never gone more than a couple of weeks of sleepy/no eat time. I’m lost in what’s going on or what to do. Nothing is truly clear online so it’s making me paranoid.
Sorry for the book, but I wanted to try to cover everything.
He probably is trying to brumate. Weigh him regularly before and during brumation to make sure he's staying at a healthy weight. If he's dropping weight quickly, contact a vet.

Reptile carpet isn't a very good substrate, I recommend you switch to non-adhesive shelf liner. Reptile carpet is a magnet for bacteria, and claws/teeth can get stuck in it and pulled out.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree let him brumate that is a instinct+ keep him hydrated- he should not brumate for more than 3 months--

COKim

Bearded Dragon Egg
He probably is trying to brumate. Weigh him regularly before and during brumation to make sure he's staying at a healthy weight. If he's dropping weight quickly, contact a vet.

Reptile carpet isn't a very good substrate, I recommend you switch to non-adhesive shelf liner. Reptile carpet is a magnet for bacteria, and claws/teeth can get stuck in it and pulled out.
I wasn’t quite sure about brumating, because he’s always so active when out and about and at bath time. This afternoon, as like most others, an hour after I put him back in his cage after exploring and bath, he was still checking everything out and jumped onto his basking log.
I agree let him brumate that is a instinct+ keep him hydrated- he should not brumate for more than 3 months--
So George is our first beardie and many things can be conflicting for researching proper care. The only reason why I wasn’t sure about trying to let him brumate (not knowing if that was truly what it was) is because he had just recuperated from the RI and a couple things were saying if they weren’t in great health to not let them go into it. Plus the varying high/low activity bit and freaking out at the roach cage whenever I brought it out made me have doubts. I really don’t know what to do now. My brother is no help because he said George never went into full, longer than 2 weeks, sleep. But I also know that he wasn’t taught best care practices (having night temps wrong, not having UV lighting span more throughout the cage, some wrong veggies, sand substrate, and a red light at night). I don’t blame him and know he didn’t know any better by what he was told by another beardie owner/friend. So, what is the best way to let him do this if it’s still a good idea? I will weigh him like Hooman recommended. I want to make sure I do it right for George!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wasn’t quite sure about brumating, because he’s always so active when out and about and at bath time. This afternoon, as like most others, an hour after I put him back in his cage after exploring and bath, he was still checking everything out and jumped onto his basking log.

So George is our first beardie and many things can be conflicting for researching proper care. The only reason why I wasn’t sure about trying to let him brumate (not knowing if that was truly what it was) is because he had just recuperated from the RI and a couple things were saying if they weren’t in great health to not let them go into it. Plus the varying high/low activity bit and freaking out at the roach cage whenever I brought it out made me have doubts. I really don’t know what to do now. My brother is no help because he said George never went into full, longer than 2 weeks, sleep. But I also know that he wasn’t taught best care practices (having night temps wrong, not having UV lighting span more throughout the cage, some wrong veggies, sand substrate, and a red light at night). I don’t blame him and know he didn’t know any better by what he was told by another beardie owner/friend. So, what is the best way to let him do this if it’s still a good idea? I will weigh him like Hooman recommended. I want to make sure I do it right for George!
They usually say they should be of good weight adult dragons 300+ grams-- going into brumation- let him do his thing follow his lead- if he goes into his cave and sleeps for two days let him-- if he's in there longer like 10-14 days check on him if he's awake laying in his hide get him out weigh him offer him water- if he stays out to bask offer food- I am assuming his RI is cleared up now?

COKim

Bearded Dragon Egg
They usually say they should be of good weight adult dragons 300+ grams-- going into brumation- let him do his thing follow his lead- if he goes into his cave and sleeps for two days let him-- if he's in there longer like 10-14 days check on him if he's awake laying in his hide get him out weigh him offer him water- if he stays out to bask offer food- I am assuming his RI is cleared up now?
I have pretty much been letting him be when he’s hiding or sleeping. The only thing I would do on those days is change his water bowl and put salad in his dish, for just in case. The only times I would handle him or give him a bath was when he came out into the open. And I would coordinate once a week on one of those days with doing a full cleaning of his cage (of course I clean his poo as soon as I see it). I needed to get confirmation that it was okay to leave him be on those days, so thank you for that!
This morning he was out again, seeming very alert and just staring at the salad in his food dish so I put a couple roaches under his salad and he ate a few pieces along with the roaches.
I do believe his RI has cleared up because he has not done any of the gagging, yawning or clicking since we finished his treatment.

Latest posts