• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What got you into owning a Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I wanted to see what got each of you into the hobby.
I wanted a pet that was different originally. Something that not many people i knew had. I found bearded dragons and read up on them for almost a year before purchasing one. Then i found one i loved at a pet store. I got him and he came home with me. I had a rocky start at care for the same reason many do. All the conflicting information out there.

So after lots of info. I started learning what to do. I completely fell in love with my first dragon (who died after i had him for 3 years. some type of birth defect caused massive organ failure the vet was surprised he had lasted as long as he did). Year or two later i purchased another dragon. This one from a respected breeder, lair of dragons. His name is Dr. Evil. My current big daddy.

I cant say enough about these animals. They are basically the dog of the reptile world. I love them. That is why i chose to be a breeder. Because i want to help people learn about this wonderful animal and add them to their lives.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to admit my 1st Dragon ( Lyrch) was an impulse buy because my wife thought he was cute. He is the runt of my colection but he has the heart of a lion. I ended up with my second dragon a week later because my wife said he was lonely...lol The rest you have seen in the pics posts...lol Needless to say I have caught the full bug and my wife just kinda goes ohhhhhhh cute...lol

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats completely opposite of my wifes reaction of oh geez. She says she likes them but only behind glass lol. She is more into pets of the feline persuasion (stupid cats)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At the time my boyfriend (now my hubby) moved in with me. We were looking through the Sunday paper and saw an add for tree frogs. We went to get a tree frog.

When we approached the reptile section, there was an awful smell. I thought, do these things stink all the time. The tree frogs were on the top and I could not see them. My hubby looked right in and saw one dead. That was the end of the frog.

Bernard was pacing his viv. I thought he was adorable. I called my hubby over. He was intrigued right away. He went to find a worker to tell us about the care of these guys. I watched Bernie intently. Everywhere I moved, he followed me. I was hooked.

So, we recieved some not totally accurate advice, bought his first viv, bought some dragon food, some fixtures and reptile carpet. And home we went.

We are both computer geeks, so we started researching. And everything led to impaction! Yikes. I became obsessed with the little guy.

We found an excellent local reptile owner and he gave us some great advice. We are hooked.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well for me it was all thanks to my hubby....Mike has always wanted one and well he never acted on it...so I thought for his birthday this year I would be a good wife and surprise him with one...after looking through the pet stores and really nothing caught my eye, but really how could it if I knew nothing about beardies?? I met a lady who told me to search Craig's List as they have tons of unwanted animals...well there was the add for a beardie dragon...with all accessories for $50.00...so I drove 1 hour on a Friday night @ 9:00pm in a snow storm to pick up Harley.....I finally got there saw the sorry state of her and her viv I immediately handed over the money and took my baby...and really at that point I did not care of the health or even the extra costs that I may be getting into...I could not leave her there with those people and to boot...not even thinking of the weather outside and how I would get her home due her viv being already empty and stone cold :(

So being a good mom, I scooped her up...put her in the hood of my sweater and the rest is history....as the first time she cocked her head to look at me I fell in love...

That is my story on how I got into having a beardie as a pet.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My father was in to herps his whole life. He caught and kept snakes as a kid, and as a young adult opened an exotic pet store (reptiles, birds, fish...). The pet store didn't last too long, but his passion for fish and reptiles did. He was more in to lizards than snakes.

In 93' he purchased three beardies. We kept and bred them for around 5-6 years and then sold all of them. A few years ago my wife wanted a beardie.....so we got three :) I plan on breeding for a few more seasons to help support other breeding projects I have going or I'm getting in to. Then I'll just keep my three..........well....thats the plan anyway :)

rugbychic07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my story is a bit like harley D kind of different though my boyfriend wanted one no money though so for our anniversary i started gathering some info i went looking around for places to get them couldnt really find one i wanted until i remembered he had gotten a great deal on his 200 gal fish tank off of craigslist so i went on originally only searching for a tank for a beardie because he wanted to start with a baby i put up a post saying i wanted one and 3 days later got an email from the kid i got it from saying he was "giving his beardie away" becasue he was off to college i said i would take the set-up which was being sold for $100 but not the beardie i guess he didnt understand so he sent pictures of the viv and bubba and i fell inlove so a week later i took my little toy car (lol) on the hour long drive to his house and got everything for 100 bucks not bad i guess after finally realizing how much it really does cost again bubba was all alone in the unfished unheated basement (all he had was a 50watt bulb and a uvb light) that obviously nobody went into cept just to feed him once a week well got him home and dougie came over to go out to dinner but there bubba was with a bow wrapped around the tank haha so cute

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I must admit mine was an on spot decision, My sister wwnt in to get a bearded dragon, Well i saw sweet Safira hiding under a fake plant i asked if i could hold her. Well that was it i was hooked i had to have her, The pet store marked her tail so they knew which one was mine. I then went home and started setting up a tank for her. It took me 2 days to set her tank up. I then went back to collect my baby, I'm hooked now there such cute reptiles. Safira is very active but still is great to handle she is calm.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh wow. great stories. mine is kind of boring. a friend has one and i enjoyed watching the guy whenever i was over. so, i went and got my own! gertrude and i have a great time.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My ex loved lizards. I bought one for him and fell in love with her. After we broke up I just couldnt bare to part with her as well, so i bought her from him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts