• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you think?

Haran_Kislev

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please tell me what do you think of my enclosure ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405787198.799066.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405787227.850201.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405787258.419651.jpg

yellowrosesATX

Bearded Dragon Egg
It looks cool, is there a heat bulb? It looks like you have one but it may be too high, I can't tell. I have read that the UV coil bulbs can burn their eyes on several care sights. Is it possible to put the tube type, a 10.0, in it? Also do you have a laser temp gun so you can make sure the temps are right? I am new too so I am sure someone with more time with dragons can let you know more! Hell I don't even have mine yet, I get it on Tuesday! But I have been reading a ton before he arrives.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
Those coil uv bulbs cause eye issues use a reptisun 10.0 t8 tube instead. Are you able to get a good temp gradient in that tank I think it looks higher rather than longer. I know they charge an arm and a leg for those enclosures you might just want to start with a twenty long he is going to be out of that enclosure so quickly and they coat so much money. I do love the basking branch and the other decorations. If you want to keep the tank just figure out how to install a reptisun tube on the inside because it cannot go on top of the screen.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They issues with the coil bulbs always been apparently corrected awhile ago so can be used..... I still also would recommend the reptisun 10.0 t5 or t8. And it can be placed on top of the screen you just need to alow your beardie to get within a certain distance to the light.... Which will be indicated on the box...... Because they can get to close also so do as the box says.... I believe it is 8-10 inches to the light if on screen and 12inches if inside tank with the reptisun t8.....distance is further with the t5 high output as they are alot stronger

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
They issues with the coil bulbs always been apparently corrected awhile ago so can be used..... I still also would recommend the reptisun 10.0 t5 or t8. And it can be placed on top of the screen you just need to alow your beardie to get within a certain distance to the light.... Which will be indicated on the box...... Because they can get to close also so do as the box says.... I believe it is 8-10 inches to the light if on screen and 12inches if inside tank with the reptisun t8.....distance is further with the t5 high output as they are alot stronger
Maybe the t8 can go through the screen but I am not sure where it has been stated that the t8 can. It needs to be about 6-8" away inside the enclosure.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Maybe the t8 can go through the screen but I am not sure where it has been stated that the t8 can. It needs to be about 6-8" away inside the enclosure.

All and any can be set on top of the screen..... Depending on the density of the screen is what takes away UVB hence why you must alow the beardie to get closer to it........ So that being said look at the reptisun website.

No screen you need actually 20" away from the UVB bulb no closer.... That being the 10.0

The 5.0 is 12" away with no screen....

So yes it can be put on top of your screen is it better to put inside with your beardie YES (given your enclosure is 20+ inches high) is it going to hurt your beardie on top NO as long as you give it access to get within the parameters stated by the manufacturer of said UVB.
And sorry to state this but the majority of us ALL including myself cheap out on the fixture to mount our UVB fluorescent bulbs in which again inhibit and doesn't reflect "proper" UVB.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
www.beardeddragonforum.com

Search Uvb setup...... Sorry link keeps switch to a random topic here

Edit*****

**** it...... Link keeps switching to Bearded dragon forum.....

Should be Bearded dragon den dot info

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
I have read quite a few threads with people with solar meters the screen blocks at least 30 percent if you don't have a real good reflector you lose even more. If you go with the t8 the research shows it should be mounted inside. T5 are much stronger I just started looking at those myself those could be mounted outside because they are so much stronger. It's real easy to mount the fixture inside with command books or command tape.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
All and any can be set on top of the screen..... Depending on the density of the screen is what takes away UVB hence why you must alow the beardie to get closer to it........ So that being said look at the reptisun website.

No screen you need actually 20" away from the UVB bulb no closer.... That being the 10.0

The 5.0 is 12" away with no screen....

So yes it can be put on top of your screen is it better to put inside with your beardie YES (given your enclosure is 20+ inches high) is it going to hurt your beardie on top NO as long as you give it access to get within the parameters stated by the manufacturer of said UVB.
And sorry to state this but the majority of us ALL including myself cheap out on the fixture to mount our UVB fluorescent bulbs in which again inhibit and doesn't reflect "proper" UVB.
I agree mine is a ten dollar fixture from Walmart but mine is inside the enclosure. I was saying if you mounted a t8 outside the enclosure you would lose a lot from the screen and even more without a reflector.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree mine is a ten dollar fixture from Walmart but mine is inside the enclosure. I was saying if you mounted a t8 outside the enclosure you would lose a lot from the screen and even more without a reflector.
As is mine..... But regardless t8 or t5 you loose UVB if placed on top of a screen......

If you use t8 inside the viv like myself with a cheap 10$ fixture you want within 12"

But

If you use the t5 inside the viv you don't want closer than 20" and also want to have a lot more hiding places for your beardie to get out of the UVB.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
As is mine..... But regardless t8 or t5 you loose UVB if placed on top of a screen......

If you use t8 inside the viv like myself with a cheap 10$ fixture you want within 12"

But

If you use the t5 inside the viv you don't want closer than 20" and also want to have a lot more hiding places for your beardie to get out of the UVB.
I am not sure if I want to go to t5 for this reason her custom enclosure is coming tomorrow and it is 21" but her branch is 12" in one spot I could not use it if I went with a t5. I like her being able to climb to different heights and the top is solid on this enclosure. How do people keep the fixture 20" away with an 18" tall enclosure. I wonder if that strong of a UVB bulb might cause problems down the road.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The screen is a physical block on all light, not just UVB, so think of it like a shade essentially. The more screen there is, the more light is blocked, and so too is the UVB. For this type of screen you are looking at about a 35% reduction in light, and therefore UVB. So in this particular case you would not want to ever put a T8 bulb on top of the screen, as it would require the animal to get within about 3" of a 10.0 T8 light in order to get any benefit from it. Without screen, the animal should still be able to get within 6 inches of the light for 10.0 T8s. With the 10.0 T5s, you can have it much further back, but the animal should still be able to get within about 10-12 inches away. If you have a reflector fitted into the back of the fixture, then that distance can be increased to around 18-24 inches.

To the original poster, how are you measuring your temperatures? It seems like the hottest basking area would be created by that compact light, which is not a good idea. I too would recommend getting a Zoomed or Arcadia T5 fluorescent tube light for the top, and a larger halogen lamp to create a warmer basking area.

Latest posts