• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do y’all feed your beardies?

amfninja

Bearded Dragon Egg
There’s a lot of conflicting information out there regarding what greens and vegetables can be considered “staples” in a bearded dragon’s diet. I prepare my bearded dragon’s salads once a week, rotating the veggies I use every week. Usually, I pick two greens from either mustard, turnip, and collard, and one vegetable from acorn squash, butternut squash, green beans, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. Every other week he gets a squash, but the weeks in between are more what I’m concerned about. Because I feed him the same food every day for a full week out of the month, I want to make sure that none of the vegetables I choose from for him are big no no’s. Some websites say they’re staples, and other websites say they’re feed occasionally. What do y’all think about my system? Is he getting enough variety? What do y’all consider staple vegetables?

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
I feed mine collards as a staple, she's just a baby though so i dont give her tons of veggies. I also do some carrots like 2 times a month and bell peppers.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There’s a lot of conflicting information out there regarding what greens and vegetables can be considered “staples” in a bearded dragon’s diet. I prepare my bearded dragon’s salads once a week, rotating the veggies I use every week. Usually, I pick two greens from either mustard, turnip, and collard, and one vegetable from acorn squash, butternut squash, green beans, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. Every other week he gets a squash, but the weeks in between are more what I’m concerned about. Because I feed him the same food every day for a full week out of the month, I want to make sure that none of the vegetables I choose from for him are big no no’s. Some websites say they’re staples, and other websites say they’re feed occasionally. What do y’all think about my system? Is he getting enough variety? What do y’all consider staple vegetables?
Honestly I don't know what are dos and don'ts as there is so much conflicting info out there. Most say don't feed any type of lettuce or spinach. Limit Kales and cabbages. Others say kale and cabbage are fine. lol Sounds like he's getting a variety and if he's healthy and eating away than he's happy. :)

My routine is similar in that I provide a different base each week. Some weeks it's bok choy, swiss chard and parsley, some weeks it might be collard, dandelion, and broccoli. Others it might be a different variety. I use his base from week to week, but will swap up the additionals each day. One day I'll add yellow peppers and carrots to his base, the next day add squash and sweet peas, the day after add red peppers and cucumbers. And so on. Additives depend on what I have and what needs to be used up. lol Some days he may get yellow peppers twice if they need to be gone. Hope this helps.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The only veg i can actually get my girl to eat are kale ,romaine lettuce ,hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelions (i grow them myself, i dont just pick them from my yard), carrot, bell pepper (red only!) the only red thing i can get her to eat -_- , she loves watermelon but i only give that every other week , mango is a hit or miss some days , i gut load all the bugs she gets with different veggies to keep things different and fresh aswell (potato, broccoli, grapes , apple ) , they are such picky eaters!

Latest posts