• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird undeveloped egg maybe?

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, so I've had my beardie Oscar for almost a year now and today I noticed this weird thing in his tank, could someone help me identify it? My beardie is about 2 years old and I was pretty sure he's a male until I found this. I talked to someone I know and they said it looked like an undeveloped egg, but they think I should get a second opinion. Please let me know if it is an egg, and is it a health concern?
20210206_203943.jpg

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi, so I've had my beardie Oscar for almost a year now and today I noticed this weird thing in his tank, could someone help me identify it? My beardie is about 2 years old and I was pretty sure he's a male until I found this. I talked to someone I know and they said it looked like an undeveloped egg, but they think I should get a second opinion. Please let me know if it is an egg, and is it a health concern?View attachment 25679
Can you get a picture of your dragon with its tail lifted up? If he is really a she, if eggs have burst inside your dragon there's a risk of infection. If they're just underdeveloped, that can also be an issue with calcium intake.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Look up dig/nest boxes for female beardies, it looks like an egg to me , if there’s absolutely no chance shes been with a male then its okay to crack it open to be 100% shure , if she’s laying you need an nest box so she can be less stressed, what hooman said is very good , it’s possible there could be more eggs and it can be dangerous, its called being “egg bound” make shure shes gettining calcium dusted lightly on everything for the next week, she might be low on protein as well so if u can get her to eat higher protein bugs right now, if you can make a vet appointment i think that would be best, if theres more eggs inside her we need to know. Otherwise congratulations oscar myer doesnt have a weiner.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Can you get a picture of your dragon with its tail lifted up? If he is really a she, if eggs have burst inside your dragon there's a risk of infection. If they're just underdeveloped, that can also be an issue with calcium intake.
20210207_104433.jpg
Here is a picture of her genitalia, I get how I mistook her for a male in the past, is this anything I need to worry about? I'll still be scheduling a vet appointment to check on her but is this something that should be taken care of right away?

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Look up dig/nest boxes for female beardies, it looks like an egg to me , if there’s absolutely no chance shes been with a male then its okay to crack it open to be 100% shure , if she’s laying you need an nest box so she can be less stressed, what hooman said is very good , it’s possible there could be more eggs and it can be dangerous, its called being “egg bound” make shure shes gettining calcium dusted lightly on everything for the next week, she might be low on protein as well so if u can get her to eat higher protein bugs right now, if you can make a vet appointment i think that would be best, if theres more eggs inside her we need to know. Otherwise congratulations oscar myer doesnt have a weiner.
So I have a box ready for her dig box, what substrate is the best? Google is not giving me a straight answer

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Can i see the box? You need a blend of play sand And soil, it needs to be able to hold shape for a den , mix the two with some water , you want it slightly damp , not moist, not wet , if u grab a handful and squeeze it and water comes out you put to much water, keep a towel on the tank so there’s minimal outside stimulation as possible , next time shes up if you want to examine her gently support her from chest to tail base glide dont push, glide on her stomach with your fingers try not to push , you should feel something even though the eggs look deformed.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Can i see the box? You need a blend of play sand And soil, it needs to be able to hold shape for a den , mix the two with some water , you want it slightly damp , not moist, not wet , if u grab a handful and squeeze it and water comes out you put to much water, keep a towel on the tank so there’s minimal outside stimulation as possible , next time shes up if you want to examine her gently support her from chest to tail base glide dont push, glide on her stomach with your fingers try not to push , you should feel something even though the eggs look deformed.
Here is the box, she does not want to be handled at the moment but I will make sure to feel her stomach when she is feeling social again. It is a bit larger than a shoe box, and it should do fine until I can get a plastic bin for a longer lasting lay box. The walls go up about 4-5 inches, is that okay?
20210207_161011.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That is unsuitable unfortunately, it needs to be plastic, and have a lid , cut a hole about 6 inches wide so she can get in an out, it does need to be square aswell so she can turn in it and deposit her remaining eggs if she has some.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Would she be okay without one for the next couple of days then? I won't have much time to go out and purchase a plastic container over the next week or so, I'll have to order online

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Would she be okay without one for the next couple of days then? I won't have much time to go out and purchase a plastic container over the next week or so, I'll have to order online
I cant answer that : / , you need one as soon as possible, if u cant get a box then you should be vying for a vet visit, the box is to help her feel comfortable to maybe help her lay , if shes egg bound (which is a good possibility seeing the undeveloped egg) she’ll need vet care. This can get pretty serious, I wouldn’t put it off, this isn’t like compaction or a constipated beardie.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I cant answer that : / , you need one as soon as possible, if u cant get a box then you should be vying for a vet visit, the box is to help her feel comfortable to maybe help her lay , if shes egg bound (which is a good possibility seeing the undeveloped egg) she’ll need vet care. This can get pretty serious, I wouldn’t put it off, this isn’t like compaction or a constipated beardie.
I have the lay box set up, a top soil mixed with play sand slightly damp, like you instructed and I did feel some eggs in her abdomen when I felt her, so hopefully she can get these eggs laid which leads me to another question. If she does lay these eggs soon, will the vet visit be as imperative? I will still be taking her either way, but will it be as serious if she lays them?
20210209_174154.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Very good job with her bin, whats that white thing in the picture? if she passes all of them and you dont feel anything that’s good but since this batch of eggs seem under developed I would still take her in and request an xray , they need to see if there’s anything stuck. I understand the hesitation in not wanting to spend 50-70$ bucks and have them tell you shes fine, they are the ones with the equipment though.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Very good job with her bin, whats that white thing in the picture? if she passes all of them and you dont feel anything that’s good but since this batch of eggs seem under developed I would still take her in and request an xray , they need to see if there’s anything stuck. I understand the hesitation in not wanting to spend 50-70$ bucks and have them tell you shes fine, they are the ones with the equipment though.
The white thing is a ping pong ball, she likes to push it around during the day. I guess you do have a point with the vet thing, I'd rather take her and she be fine than not take her and have there be an issue

Latest posts