• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

weird sound.

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
So my dragon makes this weird gulping sound an motion like hes trying to swallow something. i know he dows not have anything in his mouth because he will just do it even when he has not been fed yet. he normally does this if hes in his tank and i put my hand in to fast or like abruptly stand up. i have a video of him doing it in the bath but the video is upside down so i would rather not post it unless i have to.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol. My little guy does the same thing! He does it mostly when we make eye contact. He started doing it around 5 months old. It doesn't hurt him any. I'm pretty sure its just their way of trying to communicate something. Mine gulps in air in the bath to help him float. I pretty much expect him to gulp a couple times every time I make eye contact with him before I take him out of his enclosure. He's not shy or anything and doesn't get nervous very easily so I'm not sure what he's trying to communicate but its really cute when he does it.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie does it too whenever I take her out and talk to her face to face. She'll gulp and swallow something. We swallow or gulp saliva sometimes if it's too much. It may be a normal reaction or a defense mechanism that most bearded dragons do out in the wild. It's like puffing out their infamous beard, huffing and hissing, and then when they realize they're not in danger, they stop their defensive reaction or run away. I'll even see Allie do this without her puffing beard. Her beard will turn black and she'll get dark. She'll also breathe in and out very fast and deep if nervous.

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
i feel much better now. here is another weird thing he does.Ok so this is really cute the little fella just licks everything. as soon as i take him out of his tank and set him on the ground in my apt to run around he just starts licking everything. he licks his stand my computer tower the legs to my desk. just licks away. i can only assume its his way of finding out what it is considering he has no hands or anything. This last thing has me a little concerned. he just runs into everything. he will walk towards the wall and just smash his face right into it. every day.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The licking is part of their exploring but may also indicate that he wants to eat stuff. Kratos does a quick lick to see if it tastes good. Then he tries to eat things. He tried to eat a golf ball! lol. Kratos headbutts things a lot (he is also half blind). If he seems to hurt himself I would worry but if he's not too aggressive in testing surfaces it's probably just his way of seeing if it will move.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i feel much better now. here is another weird thing he does.Ok so this is really cute the little fella just licks everything. as soon as i take him out of his tank and set him on the ground in my apt to run around he just starts licking everything. he licks his stand my computer tower the legs to my desk. just licks away. i can only assume its his way of finding out what it is considering he has no hands or anything. This last thing has me a little concerned. he just runs into everything. he will walk towards the wall and just smash his face right into it. every day.

"What's this?" Beardie runs to something and licks it. "Hmm. Tastes good. What's that?" Beardie runs to something else and licks it. "Hmm. Tastes good. Hey! Look! There's something right there!" Beardie runs to another thing and licks it. "HEY! Mommy! You taste good!" Taste Taste :) LOL!

Latest posts