• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird nail

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I picked up my beardie to get him some natural sunlight and one of his nails looks a little off to me, attached is a picture, can someone let me know if its something to worry about?

Attachments

• 1595605068033918046741736837457.jpg
    1595605068033918046741736837457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

skin_ink&skinks

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello friend!!
I would suggest to monitor it atm but it looks just like a nail break. If he changed his eating/drinking/fecals or attitude I would consider getting an appt with a vet. I work at a local avian/ex and it’s fairly common to see that with BD nails. I have a bearded myself who has this weird cork screw growing nail, which falls off and regrows in cycles but never seems to bother him, got a clean bill and informed by the doc that it happens with some herps. Very cool to see the growing process. Considering it’s not bleeding, swollen, oozing, or stinking I would be confident in his ability to heal- just it and try to keep it relatively clean. Doesn’t mean you have to clean it with topical soap, just if he steps in his poop maybe soak it in warm water for about 5 min, then rinse so the debris comes off and then the nail is “clean” to help make sure it can’t get infected. If it’s bothering him (he seems to react to it, has trouble getting around, etc) you can get a nailboard for the tip and help it not get caught on things but watch the quick (pink part).however, Kinda looks like the nail cap that surrounds the quick came off so be cautious of that and look at the other nails to determine if it’s the quick with the small layer of protection or the nail portion. but truly it looks fine. Highly suggest to monitor tho- you know him better than anyone else. Maybe hold off for a few days on any sort of muddy substrates that could irritate the area until it starts to regrow (usually a few days, maybe a week if it’s really thin). Could be a super fun healing process if you take pics daily to refer to in the future.
if it does open (bleeds) it has the potential to get infected, so preventing a rupture can prevent a vet bill and any discomfort with his toe as he’s healing. BDs are tough cookies! Good luck!!
Lmk if you have questions

Latest posts