• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird dragon

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Anyone ever have a dragon try to commit suicide? Last night after lights out, Gojira fell asleep against the glass. Not just leaning on the glass, ON the glass, sitting on his tail and hind legs with his stomach and head on the glass. I didn't think it would hurt anything and if he got cold he would move. This morning, he was slumped over and wouldn't move, barely open his eyes or anything. I picked him up and he barely had enough energy to grab onto my hand. After about 10 minutes of him lying motionless in my hand under the heat lamp he finally started moving around again, ate some crickets and salad, and has been happy ever since. So I suppose my question really is, was he trying to off himself, or did I just get a learning disabled dragon? Also, I know at his length around 6-7" he should be eating a lot more crix and worms than anything else, but he absolutely LOVES salad, I mix in some collards with yellow and acorn squash and he eat every bit of it, but only around 10-15 crickets each day, will this hurt him?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They will sleep in any position they feel comfortable with and sleeping up against the glass like that is a popular one. What are your tank temperatures at night? It's possible it might be too cold for him at night and it just takes him awhile to warm up. As far as the bugs, keep offering them and he'll eat what he wants. You could maybe offer him a smaller salad and more bugs. Be happy that you have a dragon that actually will eat both. My older girl who should be eating more greens won't touch them.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
My nighttime tank temperatures tend to fluctuate between 75-85 degrees, but never below 75. I do have a black light, nighttime heating bulb to make sure he doesn't get too cold. But I'm thinking with him pressed against the glass like that, maybe the temp outside the tank cooled the glass to a point where he almost died. I only put a small salad in to begin with, maybe 1/4 tsp of each kind of squash finely grated, and about 6-7 pieces of collards torn to the size of maybe a tab from a hole punch, so it's not large, but he seems to just eat it all everyday, and really pays no attention to the crix and worms after he eats three or four, he just sits there and stares at them or lets them crawl over him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You should actually let the night time temps dip lower. In the wild, it naturally gets cooler at night. Nothing below 65 but between 65-75 is good. The only reason to keep the temps that high at night would be if he had an URI, then the extra heat would help.

Have you tried feeding him the live food before you put the salad in? It's also possible that he just doesn't like the crickets at the moment. My little guy loves his salad too and will eat a big heaping bowl of it and then the next day eat whatever bits are left laying around. I learned he has a weakness for mustard greens! He used to love crickets but stopped eating them for awhile and now I can get him to eat a few. He does love super worms and horn worms though so I tend to mix it up on him. One feeding he'll get crickets, the next feeding he'll get worms. I keep him guessing LOL!

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Well the only thing I can find locally besides crix are mealworms and wax worms. And I've heard mealworms are bad for beardies because of all the chitin, and wax worms should only be used as treats due to their high fat content. I did run across some superworms the other day when I was visiting a friend a few towns over, but they're so big and my lil dude is so small I don't think he could eat them..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How little is your dragon? I buy the large super worms because those are the perfect size for Dexter who is 10 1/2 months. Luci is 9 1/2 months old he's about 250g and 16 inches long and he eats them with no problem. I was worried at first but he chews them up pretty good. Usually they break in half as soon as he chomps down and so half falls on the ground. When he's done chewing what's in his mouth, he'll pick up the rest.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Oh Gojira is tiny. I just got him a week ago. He's about 6-7". Can't imagine he'd be more than a month or two old.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh, sorry.....I said she because I thought the name sounded like a girls name :oops:

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1411315383434.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh man, don't tell my boyfriend I didn't know that! We even just watched Godzilla the other night and yes, Dexter and Luci watched it with us!

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Lol. How did they enjoy it? I was actually thinking of making a little mini-scale city with skyscrapers and things, and have little people running away and have him sitting behind it like he was rampaging through the city. The caption, of course, would have to be "AAAAHHHHHH IT'S GOJIRA!!!!" :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
LOL! That would be awesome!

Luci slept through it. Dexter watched it with one BIG eye open. She was happy Godzilla lived and went to bed with a smile :)

You know......if you were good at sewing....you could do that for Halloween! Last year Petco and Petsmart and Walgreens had online costume contests. Not sure if they are doing it again this year or not. You're pet had to have a costume and a themed photo. Dexter was a mourning dragon bride. She had a wedding dress with dragon wings and a veil and she was sitting over a grave LOL!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It was a ferret costume that I was able to adjust to fit her. This year she is so big, her costume is a XS dog costume!

Latest posts