• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird Behavior

grayliz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ve had Ron for about three weeks now, and perhaps it’s because i’m used to other lizards, but I am just stymied by this dude’s behavior.

When he is in his tank, he turns a dark color and will develop stress marks. At first I thought this was because I was handling him too much, so I backed off. But then they didn’t get any better and I needed to clean the cage so I took him out and lo and behold they faded. However he doesn’t seem to enjoy being out and about; he just sits.

Last night he walked about three feet (the most I have seen him move) and found a cardboard box to climb into. He immediately turned a happy orange color and plopped himself down to to go sleep. He refused to come out so I ended up just putting the box in his cage.

I’m going to build him a little cave since he clearly desires one but for the most part i’m confused as to cage decor. It seems like he’s tremendously bored in there. Right now I have a hide, a piece of driftwood, a skull and the box. He loves the box. I don’t know why.

Anyway, I just am not sure what to do about these stress marks? Normally I just check husbandry but the tank temps are fine. It appears that he just hates it. What should I do?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What are you using for UVB and heat and what are the temps of the tank and dimensions?