• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird Actions

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my bearded dragon keeps glass surfing and head bobbing and I can't figure out why!

He or she (waiting for the vet appointment to get gender and hopefully age) will run to the cooler side where the water is in the enclosure and surf the glass and try and climb up the glass. They also scratch at the glass in the same spot. As I'm typing this out theyre scratching at the glass.

in the opposite corner of the water there are some fake plants set up that they will climb up and then after will maybe glass surf again and then tun to the hot spot of the enclosure and head bob for a second or two, then relax for a bit, then will repeat the same process.

They are still eating though!

I don't know if there is anything wrong or if I am just being paranoid but if you guys could help me out I would be very grateful!

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
He (or she) wasn't doing it for about 20 minutes but is now back to doing it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He (or she) wasn't doing it for about 20 minutes but is now back to doing it.
How big is your tank -- the head bobbing is sign of mating I am guessing hes a he-- post a pic of w / the tail in the air back view so we can see the vent ---- UVB what are you using --- coil ? tube? what are the basking temps ? How are you taking them ? NO stick ons please -- we need to rule out lighting as a possibility first as cause

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank is a 40-gallon tank.
The vet said he was a male. I was waiting for the call to confirm.
I'm using a T8 Desert strip light fixture. 24 inches I believe.

I have two sticks on for humidity and a floor thermometer whilst I wait for the spot gun to come in the mail.
The temperature in the basking zone is approx 93ºF and the cooler section is high 70's to 80ºF MAX

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
I actually read the basking zone thermometer wrong! It's 97ºF to 100ºF, if not over 100ºF.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I actually read the basking zone thermometer wrong! It's 97ºF to 100ºF, if not over 100ºF.
Your getting that from the stick ons? They are inaccurate please invest in a digital probe thermometer -- IR guns cannot read off of hammocks --- I would also recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer place on back center wall it will read the whole tank --- the T 8 is where in the tank - EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ---- how old is the T 8 ?

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
No, I said I only use the stick ons for humidity. I have a ground thermometer under the basking light for that temperature. My VET recommended an IR gun that he swears by and that is the one I ordered.

The T8 spans the entire tank. I replaced the bulb last month.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, I said I only use the stick ons for humidity. I have a ground thermometer under the basking light for that temperature. My VET recommended an IR gun that he swears by and that is the one I ordered.

The T8 spans the entire tank. I replaced the bulb last month.
IR guns are good they just dont read off of hammocks --- you need the probe for that -- I dont know exactly what a ground thermometer is --NO probe? they are giving ambient temps ---the most accurate temps are by a probe thermometer -- I use all 3 of them ---- the UVB needs to be inside the tank T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen 30% of those rays are being blocked -- distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor---the T 8 needs to be UNOBSTRUCTED ----do you let him out of the tank? I am thinking the tank is too small and he needs better UVB --- adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank ---- minimum 40 gallon

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
He doesn’t have a hammock. I got him one and he didn’t like it he never used it. He likes to lay at the top of his hut or on the log beside it.

he hasn’t done any of the things I previously talked about since I posted. He’s been lounging and eating.

This is the tank size that the vet recommended to get a few weeks ago and I got it the same day he recommended it. he’s also not a full grown adult yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He doesn’t have a hammock. I got him one and he didn’t like it he never used it. He likes to lay at the top of his hut or on the log beside it.

he hasn’t done any of the things I previously talked about since I posted. He’s been lounging and eating.

This is the tank size that the vet recommended to get a few weeks ago and I got it the same day he recommended it. he’s also not a full grown adult yet.
Ok so it sounds like spring fever --- they get real rambunctious this time of year --- but I always go over lighting and basking temps to rule that out ---- NO colored bulbs ? I would look at getting a bigger tank down the road tho ---

Jwbk

Bearded Dragon Egg
I intend on getting a bigger one within the next few months cause he grows so fast!!

and no, there’s no colored bulbs.
I’m moving fairly soon though (not far, hour drive away) so do you have any tips for moving a beardie to keep the stress levels to a minimum?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I intend on getting a bigger one within the next few months cause he grows so fast!!

and no, there’s no colored bulbs.
I’m moving fairly soon though (not far, hour drive away) so do you have any tips for moving a beardie to keep the stress levels to a minimum?
He's gonna go thru relocation stress no matter what- they usually like to ride in the car- since your only going an HR away I would get him a small pet carrier I got mine off of Amazon- it has mesh sides doors and top opens - I use it for taking mine to the vet--- if you have some one in the car they can hold the carrier in their lap and open the top so your dragon can sit in the opening and look out the window-- just keep his tank the same and he should be fine-- expect his eating to be off

Latest posts