• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

weight gaining foods?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was looking into getting Oscar some silkworms to put some weight on him, but they are more expensive then I thought. Can you all tell me where you get your worms from? Also what other proteins can I feed him to fatten him up a little. His tail is fat, but I don't like how small his other fat pads are. He is 341g as of tonight. He is fed 60-100 crix/week

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is he again? For the most part if u just feed properly he will gain weight at the appropriate time.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is 5. With that many crix and his salad he should not be so skinny.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I get my worms from coastalsilkworms.com Do you have a recent picture of him? Really you don't want to offer anything high in fat and in large quantities. I also say keep up a normal healthy diet and he will gain weight if needed.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is fed 60-100 crix/week

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many crix for a 5 year old. His liver is stressing most likely.
If he's healthy, (no parasites) relieving that overburden on his liver may help him gain weight. Digestion has the most impact on weight gain. And when the liver stresses, digestion alters.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He was on 30 a week till he dropped the weight so I upped it. I will drop him back down. This week he only got 50 so he will not get more till next week. He has great solid, non smelly poop.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
instead of increasing the number of feeders you give, you might consider varying the type of feeder. Certain feeders contain more meat to shell ratio while some contain more crude fat. Crude fat isn't a bad thing, if it's not in excess.
Like say per week.......I'd give him 20 crix, 20 roaches and 10 supers. Week 2 I'd give him 30 roaches, 10 crix, 10 supers and 5 wax worms.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can't have roaches here...stupid laws ;) Roaches are in the plans just have to work things out first.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yikes....Yeah he could end up having more problems as LK mentioned. That many crix for a 3 year old is way too many, never mind a 5 year old. Leads to a lot of health problems like liver disease and such. Follow LK's advice on feeders.

Can you post a picture of him on this thread? Some beardies just aren't huge beardies. At Spyro's highest weight he was only 450 grams.

Latest posts