• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

We just got a 10 day old hatchling, PLEASE help me do better for him!

Sydenyp

Bearded Dragon Egg
My partner and I just welcomed a newborn buddy to our home. We brought him home 5 days ago on Saturday.

Current setup:
20 gallon tank
150 watt reptisun basking light
T8 10.0 Desert Zilla UVB bulb
a hide on the cooler side that has steps up to a hammock
Using plain brown paper as substrate currently
hygrometer never goes above 20%
temp stays 100-110 hot side, 80-85 on the cool side in the day, ~75 at night in total darkness
Run lights 12-14 hours daily
Providing fresh carrots and parsley in a shallow water dish (not under light)
Just added a calcium dish this morning
His crickets are in an aerated plastic container with fresh egg crate and carrots, stored in a dark shelf area. I'm keeping them as clean as possible.

Since we got him, he refused to eat! He did not poop until this morning which is day #5 now. We have been soaking him once a day the past 3 days, and he drinks well during. Initially we needed to improve light/heat quality but have corrected that the past 2 days (we only had it in the 90's and no uvb over the weekend, this is all fixed now). I've offered cracked small crickets, tiny mealworms, and fresh veg to him 2x a day. We try to avoid interacting with him aside from that and bathing since he is brand new. Yesterday I made a slurry out of crickets, parsley and calcium powder, then fed it to him as if I was putting water on his nose. He began to drink the sludge and did end up eating one whole cricket last night, basked for an hour or so, then ligths off for bed. It stays ~75 at night in total darkness. This morning he had a healthy looking BM (water, white urate, formed stool that didn't smell much and was a normal dark brown) and he also ate one more cricket with the water tricking method. He will not go for live or dead food around his cage, and refuses to eat after one cricket. I'm concerned that this isn't enough food for him, he's not very active in the day the way I've gathered other baby beardies are. I am glad I can at least get him to eat SOMETHING but I need to get him at full force! I know now that a hatchling is obviously more labor than a developed dragon and I should have researched that before, but now that I have this responsibility I want to do this right. Any help is appreciated.

I will try to post photos later today.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How big are the crickets? If they're to big he or she won't eat them. Also how long is the lizard? Could be just the fact he or she's too small.
If you want it to eat, maybe make it a salad of finely chopped kale, and maybe some finely cut carrots. And I'm talking small pieces!

Sydenyp

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big are the crickets? If they're to big he or she won't eat them. Also how long is the lizard? Could be just the fact he or she's too small.
If you want it to eat, maybe make it a salad of finely chopped kale, and maybe some finely cut carrots. And I'm talking small pieces!

Yes, I'll have pictures for size comparison on his food soon! The crickets definitely fit between his eyes, I'm getting XS ones, but when I turn them into mush I choose the largest ones to make use of them since I doubt he'd be able to gobble them whole. He is quite small, I said 10 days but he is actually 12 days old his body is 2", maybe 2.5" excluding his tail. (with his tail 4" maybe) I've been pulverizing his veg to teeeeny pieces trying to make them barely half the size of the space beteen his eyes, but he never shows any interest in it aside from when he's thirsty and I put the wet cricket mush on his nose tip to mimic water. I was told I could add some crested gecko food to his cage this morning, but I haven't done that yet.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, XS ones would be best for him at the moment. I got mine 4 years ago when she was about 3 months old, so I don't have a lot of knowledge on smaller dragons. But, I've heard that you might want to actually give him some real water, just to drink from, if you already haven't. If he isn't eating it's probably due to his size.

Sydenyp

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, XS ones would be best for him at the moment. I got mine 4 years ago when she was about 3 months old, so I don't have a lot of knowledge on smaller dragons. But, I've heard that you might want to actually give him some real water, just to drink from, if you already haven't. If he isn't eating it's probably due to his size.
I just read about even smaller ones, and I'm seeing that he may want even tinier crickets. I'm wondering if him eating one whole small cricket is equal to a few of the micro crickets. (That would be a relief to think he's getting more nutrition than I thought if so). I leave a small amount of water in his veg dish, I'll try separating them and having more shallow water in his cage today!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That might be the reason he's not eating. If the water is in with the food, that could start mold and make him not want to eat. And yes, I forgot about the micro crickets, so you might want to get those instead.

Sydenyp

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I will separate everything when I get home in a bit and find/order some micro crickets ASAP.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My partner and I just welcomed a newborn buddy to our home. We brought him home 5 days ago on Saturday.

Current setup:
20 gallon tank
150 watt reptisun basking light
T8 10.0 Desert Zilla UVB bulb
a hide on the cooler side that has steps up to a hammock
Using plain brown paper as substrate currently
hygrometer never goes above 20%
temp stays 100-110 hot side, 80-85 on the cool side in the day, ~75 at night in total darkness
Run lights 12-14 hours daily
Providing fresh carrots and parsley in a shallow water dish (not under light)
Just added a calcium dish this morning
His crickets are in an aerated plastic container with fresh egg crate and carrots, stored in a dark shelf area. I'm keeping them as clean as possible.

Since we got him, he refused to eat! He did not poop until this morning which is day #5 now. We have been soaking him once a day the past 3 days, and he drinks well during. Initially we needed to improve light/heat quality but have corrected that the past 2 days (we only had it in the 90's and no uvb over the weekend, this is all fixed now). I've offered cracked small crickets, tiny mealworms, and fresh veg to him 2x a day. We try to avoid interacting with him aside from that and bathing since he is brand new. Yesterday I made a slurry out of crickets, parsley and calcium powder, then fed it to him as if I was putting water on his nose. He began to drink the sludge and did end up eating one whole cricket last night, basked for an hour or so, then ligths off for bed. It stays ~75 at night in total darkness. This morning he had a healthy looking BM (water, white urate, formed stool that didn't smell much and was a normal dark brown) and he also ate one more cricket with the water tricking method. He will not go for live or dead food around his cage, and refuses to eat after one cricket. I'm concerned that this isn't enough food for him, he's not very active in the day the way I've gathered other baby beardies are. I am glad I can at least get him to eat SOMETHING but I need to get him at full force! I know now that a hatchling is obviously more labor than a developed dragon and I should have researched that before, but now that I have this responsibility I want to do this right. Any help is appreciated.

I will try to post photos later today.
Sounds like you have everything set up good. I have a young one, too. Well not as young as yours, but young. He recently went to the vet for a wellness check and vet said he looked good. No issues. Right length and weight. I did ask her why he didn't eat the mass quantities that I read they should eat. He still doesn't. He eats only about 4-5 crickets and 1-2 roaches about every 2.5-3 hours. He's still not eating his salads, so we are still using baby food veges (about 1.5-2 ml daily). She said that he's still small and his belly tiny and if I'm gut-loading my bugs enough he may not need the mass quantities. He's getting what he needs.

BBD's question about the size of his crickets is a great one. If crickets/roaches are too large baby probably won't try to eat them or may become impacted if he/she does. I purchase the smallest ones I can get for my baby who is about 2.5 months. Bugs shouldn't be any bigger than the space between your baby's eyes.

I've also heard that new moves may stress them out so they won't eat much for the first few days until they adjust and realize they are safe. Also, it could be she was fed something else besides crickets prior to your acquisition so is not quite sure she likes them yet.?.? Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope is appetite picks up. Keep us updated.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like you have everything set up good. I have a young one, too. Well not as young as yours, but young. He recently went to the vet for a wellness check and vet said he looked good. No issues. Right length and weight. I did ask her why he didn't eat the mass quantities that I read they should eat. He still doesn't. He eats only about 4-5 crickets and 1-2 roaches about every 2.5-3 hours. He's still not eating his salads, so we are still using baby food veges (about 1.5-2 ml daily). She said that he's still small and his belly tiny and if I'm gut-loading my bugs enough he may not need the mass quantities. He's getting what he needs.

BBD's question about the size of his crickets is a great one. If crickets/roaches are too large baby probably won't try to eat them or may become impacted if he/she does. I purchase the smallest ones I can get for my baby who is about 2.5 months. Bugs shouldn't be any bigger than the space between your baby's eyes.

I've also heard that new moves may stress them out so they won't eat much for the first few days until they adjust and realize they are safe. Also, it could be she was fed something else besides crickets prior to your acquisition so is not quite sure she likes them yet.?.? Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope is appetite picks up. Keep us updated.
lol sorry apparently my internet is slow today. It didn't load all the other messages just the first two until after I posted. Sounds like your already discussing. My bad.

Sydenyp

Bearded Dragon Egg

Thank you for this! That's super helpful, I was wondering if he was genuinely full since he will eat, just not much. He seems to be open to eating and drinking whenever offered so I will try to add an extra feeding time in if he just can't get much in at a time. I also read that they should be eating that extreme quantity and was like, so worried that what he has started eating isn't enough. I like the baby food veg, I think I will try to mix his cricket mash and calcium with a little bit this afternoon!

You've also reminded me that I need to figure out which vet to get established at! Thanks again.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for this! That's super helpful, I was wondering if he was genuinely full since he will eat, just not much. He seems to be open to eating and drinking whenever offered so I will try to add an extra feeding time in if he just can't get much in at a time. I also read that they should be eating that extreme quantity and was like, so worried that what he has started eating isn't enough. I like the baby food veg, I think I will try to mix his cricket mash and calcium with a little bit this afternoon!

You've also reminded me that I need to figure out which vet to get established at! Thanks again.
Good idea on increasing feeding times. I found with Dexter that his little belly won't hold much at a time, but he's ready to eat again within a few hours. Vet told me not to worry unless he starts getting below average weight and length for his age. Some days he has a nice round belly and other days his belly is not quite so round, but he's within his averages. :) He's very active so he runs his food off quick. lol He's pooing regularly (2x a day) and it's normal so I'm not stressing about how much he eats. As long as he's getting enough for him and being consistent with everything I'm going with the flow. I add a pinch of calcium and vitamins to his baby food veges each day. I also dust about 1/4 of his daily crickets with calcium each day and include his vitamins in with dusting every other day. Vet warned me that beardies can get too much of each and become ill.

It's always a good idea to establish your beardie with a respectable reptile vet ahead of time in case of emergencies. I found mine when I acquired my juvenile. About a month after I had him we went into crisis mode and I found her. She's about an hour away, but she's good. Worth the travel. She now has all of Dex's information and has looked him over so he's now in her system. :)

Hope your lil baby is doing well. :)

Latest posts