• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

water

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi everyone - do I need to offer my little guy water or will he find his bowl if he is thirsty? I get concerned because he was dehydrated. I am still giving him 2 baths a day as was recommended by the vet - but he doesn't eat his salads yet. Just want to make sure :)

thanks
Stephanie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Very few Beardies will drink from a water dish. They get their moisture from salads and baths. So you can just leave the water in there. Pogie has had her water in since I got her 4 months ago ad is yet to use it.

You could try misting him or the area where he lies, they tend to lick the waterdrops off the surfaces.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks Monique - that's what I thought but wanted to be sure
he ate about 20 crickets this morning which is a gigantic improvement for him - hooray!

:)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WOW 20, thats Great

Lets celebrate
0002013F.gif

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah I was shocked! he hasn't even eaten 20 in a day never mind for one meal!
perhaps he is on the mend and getting used to his new surroundings

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, I like to recommend beardies under 6 months get daily baths. Between 6 months and 12 months, baths 2-3 times per week. And once a week after 1 year of age.

Try offering the salad as his first meal of the day. There are a lot of good water greens and veggies that can help stay hydrated.

Glad to hear he is coming around.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a good water food is red bell pepper, cucumber or watermelon. My 2 can not resist them. To get the baby...well not so baby anymore...to try them i rubbed the juice on top of her nose, she could smell the sweet and e fthen I would put a drop of the juice from the food on the tip of her nose(if I could get a big enough drop of liquid) and she would lick it off. I would also hold it and wiggle it around like a bug and she would eat it just to see what it was, then realized she liked it. Once she was eating it good from my hand, I put it in her bowl and moved her to her bowl. It took about a month. Worked great, she loves her salads now. I will try and get a video of it in the next few days to show you what I am talking about.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have been doing the baths - and I think he is starting to enjoy them - though sometimes I have a hard time keeping the water warm...

His salad is offered first, then the crickets a couple of hours later. I do try to rub them on his nose - and sometimes he does lick the juice off - but that's all for now. I will of course keep trying. I will try to wiggle it like a bug and see what he does - thank for that tip.

thanks guys!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
just keep trying...it will take time yours is still young

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, keep offering salad daily. Most babies do not take to salad until they get to that 1 year mark.

Baths should be about 20 minutes long and the water temp should be like human baby bath water (~95F)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I figured he would eat for you eventually. Just need to adjust some.

Latest posts