• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water gel stuff

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK this is probably NOT the right place but Im not sure where to post. :-\

This water gel stuff you get for your feeders, is it any good ???
Im not planning to buy any, I use veg and moist cotton wool in a jar lid for moisture, its just I got a tub of the stuff for free
Can I use it, since I have it? Is it harmfull to the feeders?
I want to use it with my Super beetles and crickets

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not a fan of that stuff. Think about it this way. It is all gel and sticky. That is what will be inside of the feeders....then in your beardie. Personally, I always just left some damp paper towel in the crix container to keep it moist but not overly.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yuk sounds awfull.
OK Im convinced, and visual immage deleted ................

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use the water gel with my roaches and have never had a problem with it.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure you would really "see" a problem. Personally I just think that "natural" with something like this is better. You wouldn't feed your beardie that stuff, so why would you feed it to what your beardie is eating. Just something to think about.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
li said:
Not sure you would really "see" a problem. Personally I just think that "natural" with something like this is better. You wouldn't feed your beardie that stuff, so why would you feed it to what your beardie is eating. Just something to think about.

I used the water gels in the past and don't see much of an issue. Technically beardies don't eat fish flakes and/or cat food but the roaches eat them and the beardies eat the roaches. Just my opinion though

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Candice...you are right beardies don't eat those things and again, I don't use them. Many people that I trust use that stuff, but I prefer to just use what a beardie would eat. But, at least the fish and cat food aren't completely synthetic.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Out of curiosity what do you offer your roaches. I'm always up to learn alternatives

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I only raised crix, no roaches. But I fed them all the same greens that I fed Spyro. I also fed them apples, potato, and some other fruits.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oranges and the greens are the water my roaches get...

Just my personal thing, ya know ?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Oranges and the greens are the water my roaches get...

Just my personal thing, ya know ?
Yeah, after a while the water gels were hard to come by so mine lived off collard stems and oranges.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:) this is all interesting as im thinking of starting a roach colony soon and want to do some research on the water crystal gel, but now im not to keen haha for the gel...roaches i still want to give it a go !

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I must admit... roaches were the way to go for me. I started out with 4 leopard geckos, and 3 juvie dragons...

Now, I have 10 gecks and 4 dragons... lol.. I have 5 colonies of roaches just for feeding as the base staple protein. I also have added 1 colony of superworms and 1 colony of mealworms.

Hope this helps out !

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm on board with everyone else. Something about "gel" just reminded me of Dr. Scholls. And bugs eating the insides of shoe inserts didn't compute
i had serious not natural ooooooogies goin on.

nebenezer

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the insightful thread pogie :D I'm really enjoying my dubia colony and hadn't given a second thought to using the gel, they seem to love it, but I'd much rather give then fruits for hydration.

After 10 years keeping fish, mostly african cichlids, I switched gears and got a little bitty baby beardie ;D
I still haven't settled on a name :-\, I think "little buddy" might just stick, lol

Latest posts